• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry Discussion Thread 11

BTW, can we talk about how DMC5 set in a morden setting but they don't use phones? I recall even seeing a smart TV once, but they have a freaking phones lol.

It's ambiguous time period. It has advanced technology, but at the same time it has some medieval influences as well.

Ogbunabali said:
It's ambiguous time period. It has advanced technology, but at the same time it has some medieval influences as well.
Like? I understand previous DMC games but 5 is full blown morden settings.

It's because most of DMC games are on Islands, separated from the world in terms of technology and/or with demonic origins

Mallet Island is a demonic island ruled by Mundus, who's thousands of years old and doesn't know the modern world since he was sealed

In Vie de Marli even Lucia lack knowledge about modern technology, it's on her profile, but Uroboros, for example, is a very advanced company in terms of technology

Fortuna was stated to have that medieval look despite being on modern world because of their traditions

Just take a look in DMC3 and DMC5, both are set in normal cities and then you don't see anyone medieval influence, and the Anime also supports this

Pretty sure DMC set in modern setting, I was just surprised at the lack of phones considering all the advanced technology you see. One would be forgiven to think DMC5 set in the future after they see Nero's robotic arms.

What do u guys like better?? Medieval or modern settings for DMC?? I kinda like Medieval more but I'd also would have liked more of a original time period. Maybe it would have been better with more of a fantasy world.

hmm, I don't know.I like the older style settings but because we don't see modern style enviornments and setting in DMC that often I would like to see more of that.

vergil is polite swearing...until dante does that, nero is teenager swearing

I mean from DMC3, and not SDT. It could also be a "weaker stat amp, stronger base power" deal where Dante is stronger than Vergil in their human forms, but Vergil's stat amp from DT is greater, putting them at roughly equal levels when both are in DT.

The only excuse Vergil has for losing to Nero is "I fought muh brother for 20 min" yet you see him fighting in the underworld for weeks lol.

To be fair, he is fighting someone at least roughly comparable to both Dante and himself after fighting ************* Dante for ~20 minutes, while in hell he's a 3-A vs a bunch of Tier 8 and 9s, maybe a few 7s.

That face when you breakthrough all the way up to stage 86 in Bloody Palace with Dante but then you PC overheat and the game crush (Ó▓Ñ´╣ÅÓ▓Ñ)

End my life plz

I believe I have found potential evidence for Low 2-C Devil May Cry through Argosax's feat on DMC2, though it would probably only wield a "possibly".

Mission 14 takes place in the warped Vie de Marli, which has been fully corrupted and distorted due to being nearly one with the Demon World. The guidepost for the mission states:

This is a reference to the fact that, in this mission, you have to strike four blue globes to create a portal leading you out of the corrupted área. Now, this could be interpreted as poetic from a first glance, but let's take a look at the DMC2 guidebook statements:

It is confirmed here that time on this área is being massively slowed and potentially stopped by the Demon World's approach, and then it is reiterated that the portal will lead you to both the future and the past. This isn't all, though.

Here. The header section reads "gateway to the past", and it once again reiterates that the portal you open leads you to the past - which is also being distorted. Now comes the catch: upon entering this portal, you're led to an area where you fight Phantom - and the enemy description for him outright states that a time paradox is occurring because of the distortions to allow him to fight you once more.

So we have several statements from both the guide and the game that outright imply the distortions are affecting both the future and the past, fusing them together in certain areas and creating paradoxes in the flow of time, as well as both stopping and slowing it.

It isn't massive, but I think we do have a body of evidence for "3-A, possibly Low 2-C". And the new blog with a plethora of 3-A feats to back it up makes arguing "outlier" nigh-impossible.

That actually does seem like pretty decent evidence, and it does finally give a good explanation as to how Phantom just appeared out of nowhere in DMC2 if the distortions were actually affecting time as well as the physical space. I think that sounds like at least a "Likely/Possibly Low 2-C" rating to me.

Hmmm

Argosax's distortions and the four lights are 100% connected ? Because if not, we have, in this situation, just a portal that can interact with the past, time traveling Phantom to that place. Basically the lights opening a "gate" to the past is not a Low 2-C feat, it's time travel

Also, using the fact that the Demon World can stop time doesn't relate this to the Lights opening a gate to the past, at least not necessarily

I'm pretty sure there was a mention of the four lights having something to do with the distortion somewhere, especially given that you traverse that same area earlier in the game and there aren't any lights before the distortions appear. Admittedly, I don't remember exactly where it stated that the lights and the portal were connected to the distortion, but I'll see if I can find it.

"The Phantom has been granted yet another chance by the forces of darkness and time paradox to challenge the Son of Sparda yet again."

No need to waste time when it's spelled out plainly right there. Let's not pretend there's any ambiguity.

Welp, I think that seems pretty good to me. It's still got somewhat strange language attached to it, but considering the explicit mentions of how it affects both time and physical space, along with how that explains various points that are otherwise left unexplained (such as the appearance of Phantom), without any other explanations I think a "Likely Low 2-C" rating sounds good here.

I missed that part, well, seems fine for me then

Just to be sure, do not think that I don't want to see a Low 2-C DMC or that i'm against the verse, probably I'm the one who wants this more than anyone else, But I will always be against an unfounded upgrade, which is not the case here, not anymore, at least for me

Dante Demon Killah said:
I missed that part, well, seems fine for me then

Just to be sure, do not think that I don't want to see a Low 2-C DMC or that i'm against the verse, probably I'm the one who wants this more than anyone else, But I will always be against an unfounded upgrade, which is not the case here, not anymore, at least for me
Don't worry, we get it. Nobody here purely wants to wank the series (or, at least I'd hope none of us do). Nobody is going to accuse you of being against the verse just for occasionally disagreeing with upgrades.

On another note, if Weekly's upcoming Bayo CRT is successful, and this one is accepted, then... finally... Dante vs Bayonetta can happen. Hold on to your butts. :D

I both want to GTFO that thread and be actively involved at the same time.

Back