• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Desolate Era: Minor Hax Layer Specification

Planck69

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
So, we already use this in matches and debates but I feel it would be better to have a thread posted for posterity's sake. So, in Desolate Era;

So, as can be seen above, each level of cultivation as well as heartforce grants an increased layer of both hax and resistance to mind, soul, illusion, perception, and memory manipulation abilities.

Agree: 4 (XDragnoir, Lonkitt, LephyrTheRevanchist, DemonGodMitchAubin)

Disagree: 0

Neutral: 0

Last edited:
The soul and mind are indistinct in nature and function, which can be seen with the Nuwa Visualisation Technique protecting the soul but simultaneously resisting illusions, divine sense negating bewildering formations while being a mark of soul strength and memories and thoughts being directly stored in one's soul[443].
To give some extra info about this relationship between minds and souls:

Dao-Heart is how someone's mental/will strength is named in DE and it is part of the process to strengthen the soul

It was extremely hard to progress in the soul, but in the path of Immortals, the soul was incomparably important. Only a sufficiently powerful soul would be able to command ever-greater amounts of elemental energy. If an ordinary mortal was in possession of the elemental energy of an Immortal, there was only one possible outcome; he wouldn’t be able to tame the elemental energy, which would wildly burst forth and shatter his bones and his flesh, slaying him.

Advancing in the soul was something which could be done through visualization techniques, through gaining comprehension into the Dao, through strengthening the body to support the soul, or through training one’s will.

Training the will…another phrase for it might be training one’s Dao-heart!
Ning had already reached the ‘divine will’ level when he was eleven. In the past five years, Ning had made astonishing amounts of progress with regards to comprehending the Dao, eventually reaching the Dao Domain level. Clearly, this had all been very beneficial to his soul.

The "Dao-Heart", as we see in other moments is what resists mental attacks, as seen here:

“How is this possible? I could clearly sense that I was quite awake. I wasn’t…” Daolord Laya’s voice slowly trailed off. Moments later, he let out a low sigh. “What a terrifying illusion. It actually was able to seep into my soul without me even realizing it. The things that I thought I saw were actually all illusory. My Dao-heart still isn’t strong enough, allowing my soul and truesoul to be infiltrated without me knowing it.”

Also, something that is good to notice is that, as seen in my own quote and the one from Planck, the Truesoul also has a connection to the mind, the standard mind/will/dao-heart is part of the soul (there's even a spiritual place inside the soul named Sea of Consciousness, btw) but high level cultivators can think even without a soul, having just their Truesoul remaining:

What did the phrase ‘void will’ mean? The word ‘will’ referred to his mind, to his consciousness! For ordinary mortals, possessing a soul meant possessing consciousness. Powerful cultivators understood that only possessing a complete truesoul represented having consciousness and the capability for true thought.

As for the most supreme of major powers? Even if their truesouls were fragmented and shattered, they would still be able to maintain consciousness! A major power’s mind and consciousness would only come to a halt when the final fragments of his truesoul completely collapsed. When Ning’s original body had perished, he had experienced this process of his truesoul breaking apart and his consciousness dimming away. The reason that consciousness vanished was because its most fundamental vessel, the ‘truesoul’, had completely broken apart.

To have a ‘void will’ meant that even after your truesoul completely broke apart, you would still be able to maintain consciousness, housing it within the emptiness of the void itself! Imagine what a powerful will one would need in order to be able to accomplish such a thing!

“Willpower strong enough to exist independently of body and soul… to accomplish this, I will need to truly perfect the [Void Everlasting] technique,” Ning mused to himself.

Ning also went a step further and achieved a Void Will (no truesoul nor soul remaining), but this one is barely combat applicable outside of the regen aspect.

But I am just leaving this here for now, because I don't have the GODDAMN ******* CHAPTERS where all of this happened, so I can't add the refs.

Sorry for derailling. Idk where i put this. (cuz i don't know where to discuss desolate era in this site).

because I saw about ji Ning vs ichigo (soul layering problem). then I want to add that someone who has reached the grand dao domain then his soul will become a Type 2 concept due to the manifestation of the grand dao. in Ji Ning's case, his soul had become the Dao of the sword. which is when you want to affect Jining soul also you requires Cm2

Scans:

Within his sea of consciousness.

Ning’s soul suddenly transformed into a sword, an incomparably dazzling sword. This was the sword-soul, which only a Sword Immortal who had truly reached the Grand Dao Domain level would possess. This was a fundamental change, an evolution of the soul.

Whoosh.

The sword suddenly transformed into Ji Ning’s appearance…but the spirit-Ning faintly emanated with the light of a sword

Book 10 25

Last edited:
His soul would be a Type 2 Concept from what I can gather.

Sorry for derailling. Idk where i put this. (cuz i don't know where to discuss desolate era in this site).

because I saw about ji Ning vs ichigo (soul layering problem). then I want to add that someone who has reached the grand dao domain then his soul will become a Type 2 concept due to the manifestation of the grand dao. in Ji Ning's case, his soul had become the Dao of the sword. which is when you want to affect Jining soul also you requires Cm2

Scans:
For the record, I agree completely with this, but which key exactly would this affect? Wanxiang onward? Not sure if that's when he got Grand Dao Domain.

just a reminder, at wanxiang adept. Ji Ning already fused His soul and his body together. Guess what defensive explanation is suitable for this ability
Does this require the opponent to harm Ji Ning's soul directly so that Ji Ning is injured?
(scans already provided in his profile)
And additional scans.

Yu Wei’s face turned white. As for Ning, he felt as though his soul was being stabbed at by a needle-like divine will. However, his soul and his divine body had now completely fused together, and it was far more durable against this sort of attack. He was able to completely withstand it. Book 12 Chapter 15

The problem is that every cultivator in the desolate era (with a high cultivation level) will be able to negate Ji Ning's Defensive Ability (Including soul-body Durability). but this does not apply to other fiction which does not have the feat of being able to harm the body-soul directly. I mean Ji Ning's Soul is now Concept type 2. Does this give him pseudo invulnerability too?

Thanks

I will ask a few mods to take a look at this + what Fixxed brought up

But how are we going to index that exactly? I'd say it's limited AE for his soul/mind
Limited Abstract Existence (Type 1) (His soul is a concept blah blah)

just a reminder, at wanxiang adept. Ji Ning already fused His soul and his body together. Guess what defensive explanation is suitable for this ability
Does this require the opponent to harm Ji Ning's soul directly so that Ji Ning is injured?
And additional scans.

The problem is that every cultivator in the desolate era (with a high cultivation level) will be able to negate Ji Ning's Defensive Ability (Including soul-body Durability). but this does not apply to other fiction which does not have the feat of being able to harm the body-soul directly. I mean Ji Ning's Soul is now Concept type 2. Does this give him pseudo invulnerability too?
I'm not sure. That seems like a reach.

And additional scans.

Not really, all we've seen that do in practice is give Body Refiners a "solid soul" which is protected by their body.

That means you have to destroy their body as well to destroy their soul, and which is actually a good thing to notice in case it's not in his profile already, but anything else like invulnerability is a stretch IMO.

Back