• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Of course, you can restrict abilities if these are on a higher tier. The same goes for Shinra. IIRC his Mountain rating comes from an amp as well so you should restrict both.

You should update the OP to prevent people get confused. It says Baki starts in DB but now everything above his 8-B is restricted.

Same for Shinra. You should specify that his Mountain stats are restricted here.

The Calaca said:
You should update the OP to prevent people get confused. It says Baki starts in DB but now everything above his 8-B is restricted.

Same for Shinra. You should specify that his Mountain stats are restricted here.
"Stat amps that break tier are restricted" how is that?

Basically tiers are the main thing for deciding if most matches are fair. So if you had 2 building levels and one of them could amp to star level, it defeats the purpose of the match up so we are allowed to restrict amps or techs that are above the tier for the match up. Its typically assumed that out of tier moves are restricted (at least in my experience) though the OP can obviously allow out of tier stuff if a character has something that would allow him to keep up despite the huge stat difference.

"It is fine to restrict abilities in a versus matchup. However, matches that are arranged this way should not be added to the character profiles, as they don't involve their full potential, and are only intended for casual entertainment. An exception would be if the restricted ability/technique has a separate tier from the main one. In this case the match can be added."

Versus Thread Rules

Awesome! So if this match is okay to be added, shall we continue? I'd say if Baki uses 0.5 Seconds to get Shinra in a Rear Naked Snake choke, he'd be an a pretty good position to go unimpeded in whatever follow up he thinks of

To play Devil's advocate, I'd say Shinra's chances aren't all that bad. 0.5 serves more as a one-time-deal with Baki, as in he uses it to start, then that's it. Since this is in character, there are any number of moves Baki could go for, so all Shinra has to do is survive the initial strike, and he could potentially just zone Baki out

For example, I mentioned earlier the Rear Nake Snake Choke. Shinra could fly up (while being choked), and spin at insane speeds. Shinra, who flies at high speed quite frequently and potentially has to be able to maneuver like that often, would be much more use to that then Baki. Baki could potentially lose his grip, maybe even pass out. After that, its a long fall and a flying, zoning Shinra left waiting for him.

Pretty sure Shinra can take one of those. But the moment he does, Shinra will try understanding and analzying the technique. Once that happens, Shinra will focus on blitzing Baki with passsive speed amps the longer they fight.

So if Baki uses Goutaijutsu, Benda, Cockroach Tackle, Mach Punch, Cord-Cut, or Triceratops Fist, Baki most likely wins. If he uses anything else, he most likely loses. That gives Baki around a 6/30 (6 moves that oneshot out of 30 total listed moves on his page) chance of oneshotting. If he doesn't, his only hope is if Shinra goes CQC and Baki can use Aiki (which it's highly unlikely Shinra would go for CQC, but there's a possibility).

The biggest problem is when Baki uses 0.5. If Shinra isn't already zoning him out, Shinra's basically dead

As I remember he used it only once on Oliva. Also against Yujiro but of course it didn't do anything to him. So I don't think so

^This about sums it up.

It's usually used as a combo starter, but we've only seen him use it once per match, so that's why he's gotta oneshot, or at least heavily damage Shinra, else he's gunna lose most likely

BakiHanma18 said:
So if Baki uses Goutaijutsu, Benda, Cockroach Tackle, Mach Punch, Cord-Cut, or Triceratops Fist, Baki most likely wins. If he uses anything else, he most likely loses. That gives Baki around a 6/30 (6 moves that oneshot out of 30 total listed moves on his page) chance of oneshotting. If he doesn't, his only hope is if Shinra goes CQC and Baki can use Aiki (which it's highly unlikely Shinra would go for CQC, but there's a possibility).
Because of this. If he knew he would be fighting an equal, he'd probably start with his best techniques, but when he's not so sure just how strong the other guy is he normally doesn't utilize any techniques at first.

True, but by that same logic, wouldn't Shinra be in a similar situation? When Baki realizes that Shinra can dodge everything he does even unconsciously, wouldn't he start busting out the big guns? And by that same token, if Shinra realized he was fighting a normal dude that's comparable to him in raw strength, wouldn't he be more likely to drop his guard, since he can just dodge everything Baki throws and zone him out? (Actually asking about Shin, don't know him well in character other than punching out Division 5's captain and bum rushing the inferno at the beginning to save one of the Division 8 members)

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm known of Baki, but i'm not too aware of Shinra's fight style. Perhaps i'll change my vote if better points are made for Baki in the future in this thread.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
Shinra has Info Analysis, so once he sees a technique he's gonna see that Baki is strong.
Right, but the point is, depending on the technique, it may already be too late

I'm not sure if this is allowed (tell me if it isn't, please) but could you guys check out my Baki vs Plantera thread? You may be interested.

But he can't kill Shinra, so he's gonns keep getting faster whilst the battle goes on and eventually blitz him before he can do the technique.
Definitely not going to take Baki long at all to realize

A) My opponent is becoming faster than me to the point where I almost can't do anything/can't do anything

B) Even when we were the same speed, I couldn't hit him.

Then Baki pounces and quite possibly one-shots

BakiHanma18 said:
But he can't kill Shinra, so he's gonns keep getting faster whilst the battle goes on and eventually blitz him before he can do the technique.
Definitely not going to take Baki long at all to realize
A) My opponent is becoming faster than me to the point where I almost can't do anything/can't do anything

B) Even when we were the same speed, I couldn't hit him.

Then Baki pounces and quite possibly one-shots
So basically, it's all about whether Baki can realize what's happening in time or not?

And it's not gonna take long for Shinra to get faster. Each time he was knocked down by Sho, he got up and got faster until he was blitzed.
I don't think he can get up from Benda.

Yes, which by the sounds of how quick the speed amps, would be easy to say, "Oh wow, 5 seconds ago (I'm not exactly sure how fast the amp actually is, but to get knocked down and get up again seems about 5 seconds) I could keep up, now I can't... better fix that!"

Back