• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deltarune: Kris' SOUL

The profiles seem to treat the playable characters and the SOUL as one and the same, when they're pretty obviously not. It isn't the playable characters who are getting electrocuted and submerged in acid for several seconds like the profiles state, it's the SOUL. The playable characters are standing, like, 15 feet to the side.

Therefore, I suggest the following changes:
  • Recalc the Delta Warriors' speed based off the electric blasts shot by the ceiling plugs at the beginning of Cyber Field and the end of Queen's Mansion;
  • Give Kris a SOUL key, with Flight (for being capable of floating stationarily even when other objects, like Tasques' yarn balls and Queen's acid, are affected by gravity), Damage Transferal and Kris' Energy Projection, Danmaku and Resistances to Acid, Electricity and Heat;
  • Somewhat unrelated, but give Kris Limited Intangibility, for being only harmed in the overworld by attacks that hit their SOUL;
  • Give Kris a new item in Notable Attacks/Techniques:
    • SOUL: While in the Dark World, Kris' SOUL acts as a target for attacks. Kris can make themselves and their allies intangible and lightly obscured, save for Kris' SOUL, which stays inside their chest even as they move around. Attacks pass harmlessly through the intangible characters; however, should one hit Kris' SOUL, damage is dealt to all of them. Kris can also project their SOUL into a square that appears between them or an ally and their opponent, and to which the SOUL becomes confined, though powerful enough characters can deform, drag around, or even replace the square. Kris can telekinetically move the SOUL inside the square, and attacks aimed at itcan be made to damage a single target, or all of them.

Last edited:
The profiles seem to treat the playable characters and the SOUL as one and the same, when they're pretty obviously not. It isn't the playable characters who are getting electrocuted and submerged in acid for several seconds like the profiles state, it's the SOUL.
There are several scenes that show the cast getting hit by the magic, the SOUL is representing them in the battle screen. Their HP goes down when the SOUL is hit, and the SOUL jumps from Kris to Susie during the Susie vs. Lancer fight. Off the top of my head, Jevil tries to hit the group with a scythe, King knocks them down with spades, Lancer hits King with a spade, and Spamton Kris them with his attacks before the battle starts.

In every cutscene, it's the characters getting hit. In gameplay, it's the SOUL getting hit.

I might agree with some kind of Damage Transferal though.

Recalc the Delta Warriors' speed based off the electric blasts shot by the ceiling plugs at the beginning of Cyber Field and the end of Queen's Mansion;
Even if this was correct, Susie can still tag the SOUL in her battle against Kris and Ralsei. She would scale to the SOUL regardless.

There are several scenes that show the cast getting hit by the magic, the SOUL is representing them in the battle screen. Their HP goes down when the SOUL is hit, and the SOUL jumps from Kris to Susie during the Susie vs. Lancer fight. Off the top of my head, Jevil tries to hit the group with a scythe, King knocks them down with spades, Lancer hits King with a spade, and Spamton Kris them with his attacks before the battle starts.

In every cutscene, it's the characters getting hit. In gameplay, it's the SOUL getting hit.
You know, for Undertale, I might actually buy that, since you don't see Frisk in the battle screen at all. But for Deltarune, where, again, the playable characters are standing fifteen feet to the side, and the SOUL appears in overworld attacks as well, I don't. If the SOUL were really a representation of the characters dodging, then it could just show up in the bullet board as it does in Undertale; but instead, it always shows the SOUL leaving and entering Kris' chest, even if Kris isn't being attacked. This, combined with the explicit implications that the SOUL is its own entity, makes me doubt that the SOUL is a representation of the characters. Also, how would they dodge tornados and Pipis in small carts riding on tracks high above a city and whatever is under Queen's Mansion?
Even if this was correct, Susie can still tag the SOUL in her battle against Kris and Ralsei. She would scale to the SOUL regardless.
I completely forgot about that.

You know, for Undertale, I might actually buy that, since you don't see Frisk in the battle screen at all. But for Deltarune, where, again, the playable characters are standing fifteen feet to the side, and the SOUL appears in overworld attacks as well, I don't. If the SOUL were really a representation of the characters dodging, then it could just show up in the bullet board as it does in Undertale; but instead, it always shows the SOUL leaving and entering Kris' chest, even if Kris isn't being attacked. This, combined with the explicit implications that the SOUL is its own entity, makes me doubt that the SOUL is a representation of the characters. Also, how would they dodge tornados and Pipis in small carts riding on tracks high above a city and whatever is under Queen's Mansion?

I completely forgot about that.
How do characters in fiction dodge attacks that spawn literally on top of them and shouldn't be dodgeable?

Simple. Being fiction. It doesn't have to make sense dude!

How do characters in fiction dodge attacks that spawn literally on top of them and shouldn't be dodgeable?

Simple. Being fiction. It doesn't have to make sense dude!
Sure, but in this instance there IS an explanation that makes sense: Kris' SOUL is coming out of their body, as the animation shows, and as the cutscenes at the end of each chapter demonstrate can happen.

Which, if you don't mind me asking, is...? Aside from "it's fiction, anything can happen, deal with it."
The exact thing you're so desperate to avoid. With like 2 added assumptions instead of just "they dodge mate"

The biggest nail in the coffin of this CRT however is the fact that attacks can target 1, 2, OR 3 party members, unless you have an explicit statement in the game with a scan of a direct explanation as to why this can occur, you're kinda ******, cause that right there solidifies the "they dodge" part of the argument.

Well, there is Ralsei's dialogue in the tutorial. Also, how would the yellow SOUL mode work if it's truly the characters moving around? Do they just pull out guns or something?

Honestly, I think this argument is in the same boat as the "Playable characters can hit other characters from across the battlefield" one, which was accepted.

Back