• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Remove "possibly" for the Darkest Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transcending

He/Him
All scans from Death Metal #7

So this is what is currently stated in The Darkest Knight's profile:
possibly Outerverse level (Claimed that he can kill The Hands, though he admitted that he could not stop them if they were to destroy the Multiverse)
Let's see the statements for TDK>Hands and then I will explain why TDK didn't contradict himself.

Darkest Knight>Hands

There are four main statements for this.

Scan 1. This scan is not as blatant as the other scans but it does give the implication that TDK is superior to The Hands. This scan is also the most popular one used by fans to claim TDK>

Scan 2. This scan is very blatant. When Wonder Woman is about to defeat TDK by pushing him into the Death Sun, he explicitly says that he can kill The Hands.

Scan 3. This scan is by far the best evidence, as The Hands themselves directly confirm their inferiority to TDK. They quite literally mention how WW saved them from him. This makes sense, considering TDK was consistently portrayed in the storyline to be a threat to the entire Multiverse, all creation and existence.

Scan 4. This is the controversial scan, TDK explicitly states again that he could kill The Hands but due to some misinterpretation of the text, some have been led to believe he contradicted himself on that statement. I will address this here.

The Darkest Knight did not contradict himself

The controversy comes from the third speech bubble of the scan. I will state the entire quote here:
You keep fighting me pointlessly, and The Hands will be stronger than us both and erase this universe.
The keyword there is "will". What does will mean? According to google: expressing the future tense.

He's not saying that the Hands are presently stronger than him, he's saying that they will get stronger than him in the future if WW fights him. You may think I am playing with semantics, but I am not, because when you look at the larger context, it makes perfect sense.

Let's take a look at what's happening in the scan. TDK tells WW that she has only two choices.

1: In the first choice, she would fight him pointlessly until the Hands get more powerful than them and destroy the Universe.

2: In the second choice, she would not fight him but would rather give up and surrender. In this case, TDK would go kill The Hands and then give WW and her friends a paradise.

What he's saying basically, is not that The Hands are stronger than him. If that was the case, the second choice would make no sense. What he's saying is that, if WW fights him, they would both get weakened and this in turn would make the Hands superior to them. The Hands are, not in their base, superior, but they are, when TDK and WW are not at their prime. This is especially strengthened by the fact that TDK was powered up by Crisis Energy while WW was powered up by Anti-Crisis Energy. Neither of those energies are unlimited, if used too much, they can end. They are limited power sources that needs to be recharged. Granted, both TDK and WW did have strong supplies, but just a point to note.

Now assume my interpretation is the truth. There wouldn't be any contradiction(which there shouldn't be for nigh-omniscient characters anyway). TDK is merely saying that he's more powerful in his base form, but weaker in his lesser forms. The Hands themselves confirm this, making it pretty much legit.

Something irrelevant to the rest of my post

Not really relevant to the rest of my post, and not something I care about nearly as much, but I asked in the Q&A forum if Perpetua and TDK gets plot manip for ripping apart stories and the answer was a yes

The Hands can also destroy stories, so maybe Perpetua and co. should get Plot Manip?

Conclusion

The Darkest Knight doesn't just possibly scale to the Hands, he fully and completely scales to, and above them. He should hence lose his "possibly".

Also, while counterarguments are welcome(I am all for a good discussion), please remember to be civil. Insults take away the fun after all!

EDIT: The CRT was passed and applied but now we have to worry about In-Multiverse Perpetua's ratings. Here's why I think she should get a possibly/likely/solid 1-A too.

1: The power to create the Source Wall(1-A) wasn't enough to beat her when she was weakened(Justice League #33)

2: She could rival The Darkest Knight who is now no longer Low 1-C but a solid 1-A(Death Metal: Rise of the New God)

3: The Anti-Monitor when becoming the Ultra-Monitor said he was beyond anything he was before, which would include his True Form(1-A). A weakened Perpetua not only matched the Ultra-Monitor but he also admitted his power alone wasn't enough to beat her(still weakened)(Justice League #33)

Last edited:
The current tier 1s of DC have terrible scaling. There is no need for the low 1c stuff based on bleed shaking. Like that's just a minor after effect of their clash.

Although if the cosmology split is meant to happen any time in the next two months, then it should probably be handled there

The current tier 1s of DC have terrible scaling. There is no need for the low 1c stuff based on bleed shaking. Like that's just a minor after effect of their clash.

Although if the cosmology split is meant to happen any time in the next two months, then it should probably be handled there
Also forgot to ask but you agree right?

I agree based on the evidence that his scaling to the Hands is explicit and that his statement that a fight with WW might weaken him below them doesn't contradict that. Although:

It is going to be finished very soon.

I read this arc when in publication and based on what you posted, I'm really not remembering anything overly contradictory (the boy prime issue maybe? But also not really).
So ATM yeah I guess I agree, but, if DC is having a cosmology rework, this should be saved for then.

I read this arc when in publication and based on what you posted, I'm really not remembering anything overly contradictory (the boy prime issue maybe? But also not really).
So ATM yeah I guess I agree, but, if DC is having a cosmology rework, this should be saved for then.
When Superboy Prime fought TDK, TDK was weakened and holding back. So I don't think that's a contradiction, especially since SPB died by punching TDK without TDK himself doing anything, which implies a massive superiority in power, though it's still a feat for SPB wayyyy beyond what he's shown before.

Last edited:
All scans from Death Metal #7

So this is what is currently stated in The Darkest Knight's profile:

Let's see the statements for TDK>Hands and then I will explain why TDK didn't contradict himself.

Darkest Knight>Hands

There are four main statements for this.

Scan 1. This scan is not as blatant as the other scans but it does give the implication that TDK is superior to The Hands. This scan is also the most popular one used by fans to claim TDK>

Scan 2. This scan is very blatant. When Wonder Woman is about to defeat TDK by pushing him into the Death Sun, he explicitly says that he can kill The Hands.

Scan 3. This scan is by far the best evidence, as The Hands themselves directly confirm their inferiority to TDK. They quite literally mention how WW saved them from him. This makes sense, considering TDK was consistently portrayed in the storyline to be a threat to the entire Multiverse, all creation and existence.

Scan 4. This is the controversial scan, TDK explicitly states again that he could kill The Hands but due to some misinterpretation of the text, some have been led to believe he contradicted himself on that statement. I will address this here.

The Darkest Knight did not contradict himself

The controversy comes from the third speech bubble of the scan. I will state the entire quote here:

The keyword there is "will". What does will mean? According to google: expressing the future tense.

He's not saying that the Hands are presently stronger than him, he's saying that they will get stronger than him in the future if WW fights him. You may think I am playing with semantics, but I am not, because when you look at the larger context, it makes perfect sense.

Let's take a look at what's happening in the scan. TDK tells WW that she has only two choices.

1: In the first choice, she would fight him pointlessly until the Hands get more powerful than them and destroy the Universe.

2: In the second choice, she would not fight him but would rather give up and surrender. In this case, TDK would go kill The Hands and then give WW and her friends a paradise.

What he's saying basically, is not that The Hands are stronger than him. If that was the case, the second choice would make no sense. What he's saying is that, if WW fights him, they would both get weakened and this in turn would make the Hands superior to them. The Hands are, not in their base, superior, but they are, when TDK and WW are not at their prime. This is especially strengthened by the fact that TDK was powered up by Crisis Energy while WW was powered up by Anti-Crisis Energy. Neither of those energies are unlimited, if used too much, they can end. They are limited power sources that needs to be recharged. Granted, both TDK and WW did have strong supplies, but just a point to note.

Now assume my interpretation is the truth. There wouldn't be any contradiction(which there shouldn't be for nigh-omniscient characters anyway). TDK is merely saying that he's more powerful in his base form, but weaker in his lesser forms. The Hands themselves confirm this, making it pretty much legit.

Something irrelevant to the rest of my post

Not really relevant to the rest of my post, and not something I care about nearly as much, but I asked in the Q&A forum if Perpetua and TDK gets plot manip for ripping apart stories and the answer was a yes

The Hands can also destroy stories, so maybe Perpetua and co. should get Plot Manip?

Conclusion

The Darkest Knight doesn't just possibly scale to the Hands, he fully and completely scales to, and above them. He should hence lose his "possibly".

Also, while counterarguments are welcome(I am all for a good discussion), please remember to be civil. Insults take away the fun after all!
I agree.

Any ETA? At least this year? I had tons of DC tier 1 rescaling and stuff planned but has to put them on hold for months.
Depends on when key people respond, so in that vein I can't give an estimate.
Yes, we have been waiting long for responses from Ultima multiple times of the past several months. The preparations themselves are almost finished though.

Last edited:
Are these enough approvals to apply? We have agreements from staff, supporters, knowledgeable members, AND those who are part of the DC revisions. NO disagreements too.

What do you think, Deagonx? And would this affect our scaling for Wonder Woman?

Wait a minute. I thought that you are simply going to scale Wonder Woman and TBWL from Perpetua's and The Hands' current rating. What do you mean exactly?

Okay. I will unlock all of them, but I am technically on a partial vacation, so you will probably have to ask content moderators to lock them again afterwards.

I am done, though it's kinda weird a Low 1-C being rivalled a 1-A being. Feel free to check if I did everything right.
Thank you, but please explain further regarding what you mean.
Dereck has locked the profiles. The first 1-A upgrade for DC in a long time. It's beautiful, but the thread can be locked.
Let's wait a little first please.

this is just a scaling revision, once the cosmology thread happens, the ratings will more than likely change.

Thank you, but please explain further regarding what you mean.
Perpetua is currently rated as Low 1-C and the reasoning being that she rivalled TDK, who is now 1-A.

But I think there's some deeper reasonings for not scaling her because even before this thread, she was only stated to be Low 1-C and the "possibly 1-A" wasn't there.

Let's wait a little first please.
I mean, I don't see the point but sure ig.

this is just a scaling revision, once the cosmology thread happens, the ratings will more than likely change.
Yeah, I think they are getting downgraded to 1-B. This 1-A is temporary, the Plot Manip would stay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back