• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Post-Crisis Superman Early Key Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talked about that. Rereading it, it was clear that the story was true, but Martha was mad the two lied about going fishing. Jonathan stresses the part about her not getting mad that they lied about going fishing.

Here's the start of the story when he mentions he's breaking a sacred trust and asks if she remembers the fishing trip.

Here's where the in story Clark admits that they're lying to her about fishing.

Here, Jonathan stresses he's not supposed to be telling her the story and again reinterates he's sorry for lying about going fishing to go on space adventures.

And here when she says "Thank you for lying to me when I need it".

Now, you could see this as her saying the whole story is a lie, but seeing the context from before, it seems more like she's thanking him for keeping the secret and revealing it now.

It also is likely true as Jonathan adds details to the story he couldn't know unless it's true (Clark's technobabble explanations of how the ship works, Clark's previous experiences with Sun Eaters, etc) indicate it's true.

We talked about that. Rereading it, it was clear that the story was true, but Martha was mad the two lied about going fishing. Jonathan stresses the part about her not getting mad that they lied about going fishing.

Here's the start of the story when he mentions he's breaking a sacred trust and asks if she remembers the fishing trip.

Here's where the in story Clark admits that they're lying to her about fishing.

Here, Jonathan stresses he's not supposed to be telling her the story and again reinterates he's sorry for lying about going fishing to go on space adventures.

And here when she says "Thank you for lying to me when I need it".

Now, you could see this as her saying the whole story is a lie, but seeing the context from before, it seems more like she's thanking him for keeping the secret and revealing it now.

It also is likely true as Jonathan adds details to the story he couldn't know unless it's true (Clark's technobabble explanations of how the ship works, Clark's previous experiences with Sun Eaters, etc) indicate it's true.
Ah. Okay then.

It still seems good to me, with the exception that "Varies up to 5-A, up to 4-B" does not make sense in terms of the logical coherence of the sentence itself". It seems better to change it to something like "Varies from 5-A up to 4-B" instead, and base all other similar sentences in your draft page on the same pattern.

The Feats should also be preferably put in a scrollbox with tabbers in for a cleaner asthetic. They should all have scans linked to them with references.

The Feats should also be preferably put in a scrollbox with tabbers in for a cleaner asthetic. They should all have scans linked to them with references.
I'll be adding the scroll box back in before publishing since it makes editing more difficult.

It's also better to add the inner tabber's thing for the profile, so formatting would look better

@Antvasima Should this formatting be used instead of the one you proposed?
Well, I much prefer my version, as it allows us some flexibility in scaling other characters to Superman when he is holding back rather than at his peak, and defines his variable tiering more specifically.

It is probably best if you revert to your previous page structure in this regard.

Someone remind me, are the rest of the Justice League getting new keys or are they just gonna be 4-B while there’s a Low 6-B Superman…?

I really don’t see how that makes sense when Doomsday beat the Justice League, including a Green Lantern and Maxima, but okay.

Due to the nature of the Death of Superman storyline, it is more accurate to scale Doomsday at this time to Superman than the side characters. In turn, Superman of this era has consistent Tier 6 limits.

Let's say we have a story called Death of Batman who has consistent Tier 8 limits in his stories.

Now we have a new villain who appears. A side character in this story is taken down.

Said side character is consistantly Tier 7 in his own stories.

The new villain then proceeds to fight evenly matched with Batman for several issues.

Is it accurate to scale the new villain and Batman to the Tier 7 character?

Didn’t someone suggest adding a “4-B at peak” or something to Superman’s Varies tier, and quite a few people agreed with that? I feel like that’d make a lot more sense than having a Low 6-B Doomsday when he stomped a bunch of 5-As and 4-Bs.

The supposed Tier 4 feats justifications for the pre-death era were deemed invalid.

I refer to my previous hypothetical. Is it accurate to scale the new villain and Batman to the side character?

The supposed Tier 4 feats justifications for the pre-death era were deemed invalid.

I refer to my previous hypothetical. Is it accurate to scale the new villain and Batman to the side character?
Doomsday tanking a full power blast from a Green Lantern seems solidly Tier 4 to me

It’s not exactly the same considering that Superman is a Varies tier, his power canonically fluctuates while Batman’s doesn’t.

Doomsday tanking a full power blast from a Green Lantern seems solidly Tier 4 to me

It’s not exactly the same considering that Superman is a Varies tier, his power canonically fluctuates while Batman’s doesn’t.
Again, the Doomsday interaction with the side characters falls in line with my hypothetical.

Superman power's may vary, but we are given a pretty clear range of how much this power varies in this era from his feat history. It doesn't go past Tier 5.

Well, I much prefer my version, as it allows us some flexibility in scaling other characters to Superman when he is holding back rather than at his peak, and defines his variable tiering more specifically.

It is probably best if you revert to your previous page structure in this regard.
I have done so.

Most of the Tier 5 and 4 stuff happened after Death of Superman chronologically, and the ones that happened before were either feats that didn't really scale to Superman if we took ISL into account, are hyperbolic statements, or even outliers. Plus there is a bunch of stuff pre Death of Superman where he has struggled with Tier 7 or even tier 8 threats. Such as getting knocked out by a nuke or getting stressed by lifting up airplanes

Yes, I agree with Medeus.

If it is deemed necessary, I suppose that we could add extra keys with lesser statistics for some other early Post-Crisis characters as well though.

Last thing I’m gonna note before I leave this thread is that we have an accepted 5-C calc for Superman and some Green Lanterns that took place in 1987, that same calc has an accepted High 5-A calc for John Stewart from 1988, both of which happened before The Death of Superman, so the notion that there’s not even Tier 5 stuff for Superman at that point is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back