• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Danny Phantom - Multiple Selves (Half-Ghosts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
While that other Danny Phantom thread is going I think this one is a bit more important.

In the past, I made a thread talking about what would happen to Danny Phantom if Danny Fenton is killed and vice versa. In the end it was accepted that nothing would happen and a not was added to the page. But after all the reworks, I forgot to add it in and I don't remember the thread so instead of just adding the note again, I think it's best make a new thread with the evidence to make it easier to access.

Evidence

So everyone knows the story from the intro, Danny gets blasted by the energy of the ghost portal and the ectoplasm merges with his body and rearranged his molecular structure. This allows Danny to use several ghost abilities while in human form and in the episode "Splitting Images" was stated by Poindexter to... "have all our powers on the human plane".

But not just that, he gained the ability to transform into his super hero form Danny Phantom and gain Ghost Physiology (Danny Phantom).

Different Personalities/Halves

Normally, Danny Fenton and Danny Phantom are seen as the same person, which they are in a sense but the series does have moments that showcase them as separate halves that don't require the other in order to survive.

In season 1, episode 6, "What You Want", Danny accidentally flies through the Fenton Dream Catcher which expunged his ghost half and we see they both look at each other and it let's us know they are two different entities. This is further shown when Tucker gained ghost powers from Desiree and his ghost half took over his human side and when Danny removed it, we see the ghost side contained all of Tucker's jealousy and had it's own personality.

In season 1, episode 12, "Teacher of the Year", we see Danny Phantom phase into his computer and become his oc and made himself apart of the game and abide by it's rules. And we see when Danny's oc (Danny Phantom) is destroyed along with his ghost half, Danny Fenton gets thrown out of the computer, showing the destruction of one doesn't cause the destruction of the other.

In season 2, episode 6, "Identity Crisis", Danny uses the Fenton Dream Catcher to split himself so his ghost half can be a full ghost and his human half can live a normal life. Due to his mental state at the time, the personality took a major difference which is shown to have said effects later in the series.

In season 3, episode 8 - 9, "The Ultimate Enemy", after the deaths of Danny's family and friends, Danny blames himself and his ghost half, and asked Vlad to remove his ghost half but due to it being left with all of Danny's grief, Danny Phantom was pissed. Vlad also stated that 10 years without his ghost powers allowed him to see more how wrong he was. Showing that it's personally had an effect on him.

In season 3, episode 12 - 13, "Phantom Planet", Danny removes his ghost half yet he is still fine. We see the split and the ghost half leave but we never see where the other half left to.

Conclusion

Half ghosts have two halves, a human form and a ghost form who have their own personality and don't need the other to survive.

I didn't realize we had a ability for this but we do and it's Multiple Selves, and Danny should specifically type 1 and 2.

"Type 1 (Multiple Minds): Generally describes those who has one or more personas or personalities co-inhabiting their mind. Note that characters that simply suffer from a dissociative identity disorder (also known as multiple personality disorder) don't normally qualify for this ability; in order to meet the requirements, their alternative identities must be extremely relevant, influent and grant them exceptional or supernatural powers, abilities and/or resistances, sometimes even affecting the very structure of their body."

"Type 2 (Multiple Souls): Generally describes those who have one or more spirits or souls co-inhabiting their body. Those who are possessed by one or multiple spiritual beings would fall under this category. In order to qualify as "selves" such spiritual beings should preferably be sentient, regardless of them being autonomous, dormant or forcibly controlled."

Given Danny Phantom is a spirit and possess his own consciousness, and is basically the source of Danny's powers, he and other half ghosts should qualify for these types...

Multiple Selves (Types 1 and 2; Half-Ghosts possess both a human and ghost half that have tied consciousness that will start to deviate depending on the users mental state and allowing one to overtake the other, and the removal of one half has no effect on the other)

Note: While half ghosts can have both halves separated and survive, it is not fully known what would happen to their ghost half if the human half is killed while they are together. Although given they can merge back with the other half freely and other ghosts can leave the bodies of those they overshadow it is possible they would be capable of leaving the body as well.

This also would effect several of Danny's matches, specifically the ones that focused on his opponent killing him in human form after his time was up.

Last edited:
TBF with Vlad I think it's less "The Powers had an effect on my mind" and more "Being powerless gave me more perspective on things" since he couldn't do anything about his current situation and couldn't pull the same stunts he did as a Halfa, so he was essentially left with nothing and could only reflect on his actions.

I agree with the other reasonings, I just wanted to clarify I don't feel that one counts.

I agree for the majority of it
I just have one question thou

Danny Fenton and Phantom naturally exist together in one body
If someone ran Danny Fenton with a Javelin to the heart and killed him
Would Danny Phantom, who he still shares the same body with at this point, survive separately regardless of Danny Fenton's death or would he die with him?

And if he would survive separately then how exactly would that work?
Would the dead body of Danny Fenton just change into Danny Phantom or would Danny Phantom just emerge from the dead body of Danny Fenton cause as far as I know both Danny's have only ever separated due to unique situations and circumstances not because they can willingly do so on the fly

TBF with Vlad I think it's less "The Powers had an effect on my mind" and more "Being powerless gave me more perspective on things" since he couldn't do anything about his current situation and couldn't pull the same stunts he did as a Halfa, so he was essentially left with nothing and could only reflect on his actions.

I agree with the other reasonings, I just wanted to clarify I don't feel that one counts.
Fair enough.

I agree for the majority of it
I just have one question thou

Danny Fenton and Phantom naturally exist together in one body
If someone ran Danny Fenton with a Javelin to the heart and killed him
Would Danny Phantom, who he still shares the same body with at this point, survive separately regardless of Danny Fenton's death or would he die with him?

And if he would survive separately then how exactly would that work?
Would the dead body of Danny Fenton just change into Danny Phantom or would Danny Phantom just emerge from the dead body of Danny Fenton cause as far as I know both Danny's have only ever separated due to unique situations and circumstances not because they can willingly do so on the fly
He can't die with him because Danny Phantom is already a ghost and has Ghost Physiology (Danny Phantom) so how can he die?

In the scan when he was first split, Danny Phantom jumps right back into Danny Fenton's body and merges back with him, and we literally see when they are pulled apart they act independently from the other so I don't understand your question regarding how they can survive separately when we literally see it when they get separated on multiple occasions.

Of course they've only been separated because of unique circumstances, why would Danny Phantom just leave Danny's body willing? His ectoplasm is infused into Danny's DNA and we see Danny Phantom immediately fly back into Danny's body so it's clear he wants to stay in it. Only when Danny mentally starts to have conflic with his ghost half do they become at odds which is why he was pissed when Danny blamed him, Vlad forcefully pulled him out and then decided not to return to Danny's body. Nothing suggested he can't leave and it is shown he wanted to stay eith the other half when they accidentally got separated the first time (indicated when he immediately flew back into the body)

Heck when Poindexter took possession and kicked him out of Danny's body, he kicked Poindexter out in the same manner, showcasing he's just chilling in Danny's body, in similar manner as possession just without the full on hijack.

He can't die with him because Danny Phantom is already a ghost and has Ghost Physiology (Danny Phantom) so how can he die?

In the scan when he was first split, Danny Phantom jumps right back into Danny Fenton's body and merges back with him, and we literally see when they are pulled apart they act independently from the other so I don't understand your question regarding how they can survive separately when we literally see it when they get separated on multiple occasions.

Of course they've only been separated because of unique circumstances, why would Danny Phantom just leave Danny's body willing? His ectoplasm is infused into Danny's DNA and we see Danny Phantom immediately fly back into Danny's body so it's clear he wants to stay in it. Only when Danny mentally starts to have conflic with his ghost half do they become at odds which is why he was pissed when Danny blamed him, Vlad forcefully pulled him out and then decided not to return to Danny's body. Nothing suggested he can't leave and it is shown he wanted to stay eith the other half when they accidentally got separated the first time (indicated when he immediately flew back into the body)

Heck when Poindexter took possession and kicked him out of Danny's body, he kicked Poindexter out in the same manner, showcasing he's just chilling in Danny's body, in similar manner as possession just without the full on hijack.
I just wanted to know how the power would work in a debate
Like if Danny (Human) was killed by having his heart crushed, would that Incapacitate Danny (Ghost) as Danny (Human) needs to consciously transform into Danny (Ghost) and that's something he (Danny (Human)) cant do if he's.... you know dead.

OR

If even after having his (Danny (Human)) heart crushed and dying, Danny (Ghost) would still be active and just leave his human corpse and fight on

Your response seems to favor the Latter

I just wanted to know how the power would work in a debate
Like if Danny (Human) was killed by having his heart crushed, would that Incapacitate Danny (Ghost) as Danny (Human) needs to consciously transform into Danny (Ghost) and that's something he (Danny (Human)) cant do if he's.... you know dead.

OR

If even after having his (Danny (Human)) heart crushed and dying, Danny (Ghost) would still be active and just leave his human corpse and fight on

Your response seems to favor the Latter
Danny Fenton has to consciousnessly transform yes, but considering Danny Phantom is just sitting in his body as a form of possession and we know ghosts can willing leave those they overshadow, I don't see why he wouldn't leave the dead body.

However, if we where to compromise as neither side have been shown willingly, just using evidence from other ghosts, i can add a possibly for the one getting killed inside the other doesn't effect the other. That way, it will be up to the match maker wether or not they will allow it. Other than that, forcefully removing them and them being separate entities that can act if forcefully removed is fine.

Does that work for you?

Danny Fenton has to consciousnessly transform yes, but considering Danny Phantom is just sitting in his body as a form of possession and we know ghosts can willing leave those they overshadow, I don't see why he wouldn't leave the dead body.

However, if we where to compromise as neither side have been shown willingly, just using evidence from other ghosts, i can add a possibly for the one getting killed inside the other doesn't effect the other. That way, it will be up to the match maker wether or not they will allow it. Other than that, forcefully removing them and them being separate entities that can act if forcefully removed is fine.

Does that work for you?
Suitable and Balanced conclusion
I agree

I mean, Phantom always refers himself as Danny whenever he is split from him, has all his memories, acts like him and thinks of himself as Danny.

In fact, in The Ultimate Enemy Vlad said "You just wanted the pain to go away, so I honored your wishes, no more painful human emotions to drag you down" which outright tells us Danny wanted to live as Phantom without the grief, so it's more like they're the same person but their consciousness gets split when they...split.

I mean, Phantom always refers himself as Danny whenever he is split from him, has all his memories, acts like him and thinks of himself as Danny.
That's literally because he's his ghost half, of course he's going to think of himself as Danny.
In fact, in The Ultimate Enemy Vlad said "You just wanted the pain to go away, so I honored your wishes, no more painful human emotions to drag you down" which outright tells us Danny wanted to live as Phantom without the grief, so it's more like they're the same person but their consciousness gets split when they...split.
That ment Phantom no longer wanted to dwell what Fenton did, which would futher indicate that they are two different entities otherwise their would be nothing to split consciousnessly. And lack of human emotions wouldn't have made him evil, yet the moment he was forcefully pulled out he was pissed and killed his other half.

Plus, it was Danny in human form that approached Vlad, if he was refering to Danny Phantom, that would mean Danny's human side (despite having a single consciousness at the time) didn't know his ghost half would come out with all the hate and kill him. Danny can't be both halves at the same time and the fact that one acts differently proves they have their own consciousness even while together. Otherwise Danny outright knew his ghost half was going to attack Vlad the moment he removed him?

But I think Tucker Phantom proves they have separate personalities while together because his ghost half ended up overtaking his human half which wouldn't be possible if they had the same one consciousness. Danny even overshadowed him to see what was happening inside him and when it's removed, we see it was the hateful side which was overtaking his human self.

Last edited:
That's literally because he's his ghost half, of course he's going to think of himself as Danny.

That ment Phantom no longer wanted to dwell what Fenton did, which would futher indicate that they are two different entities otherwise their would be nothing to split consciousnessly. And lack of human emotions wouldn't have made him evil, yet the moment he was forcefully pulled out he was pissed and killed his other half.

Plus, it was Danny in human form that approached Vlad, if he was refering to Danny Phantom, that would mean Danny's human side (despite having a single consciousness at the time) didn't know his ghost half would come out with all the hate and kill him. Danny can't be both halves at the same time and the fact that one acts differently proves they have their own consciousness even while together. Otherwise Danny outright knew his ghost half was going to attack Vlad the moment he removed him?

But I think Tucker Phantom proves they have separate personalities while together because his ghost half ended up overtaking his human half which wouldn't be possible if they had the same one consciousness. Danny even overshadowed him to see what was happening inside him and when it's removed, we see it was the hateful side which was overtaking his human self.
TBF his ghost half was corrupted by Vlad's Ghost Half right after getting out, that's why he killed Fenton, we don't know much about how he was during that timeframe and it looked like he did that out of impulsiveness (the attacking Vlad thingie).

TBF his ghost half was corrupted by Vlad's Ghost Half right after getting out, that's why he killed Fenton, we don't know much about how he was during that timeframe and it looked like he did that out of impulsiveness (the attacking Vlad thingie).
When Vlad pulls Danny Phantom out of Fenton, you can see he appears shocked (despite that was apparently his plan), and then he clearly looks pissed but once he picks up the gauntlets to rip Vlad's ghost half out, he gained this sadistic smile. He clearly was mentally effected before Vlad corrupted him, and instead of returning to Fenton or just leaving, he immediately overshadowed Vlad's ghost half to gain power, but gets corrupted in the process.

Danny even makes mention of Tucker's ghost side taking over and saying "He's becoming more malevolent, more ghostly." Anding the statement of Danny Phantom not wanting the emotions of his human half getting in the way would dictate that the two halves cancel out the other but if the emotional state begins the change for the worst, the ghost half would become more malevolent which would match how Tucker Phantom and Danny Phantom acted inside the body (in Tucker's case) and outside the body (in Danny's case).

I've updated the description and crafted a note that will go at the bottom of the page for the half ghosts. I incorporated what BlastX was saying into it. Half Ghosts still have multiple selves type 1; since they still have another half but the consciousness is tied as one person, however as shown with Tucker, one side can overtake the other. And they still have type 2 because the other half is a ghost (it's own spirit)

Multiple Selves (Types 1 and 2; Half-Ghosts possess both a human and ghost half that have tied consciousness that will start to deviate depending on the users mental state and allowing one to overtake the other, and the removal of one half has no effect on the other)

@BlastX

Is this more in line with your thoughts regarding the personalities of Danny Fenton and Danny Phantom ?

Also, below is the note regarding it being possible of one surviving the death of the other.

Note: While half ghosts can have both halves separated and survive, it is not fully known what would happen to their ghost half if the human half is killed while they are together. Although given they can merge back with the other half freely and other ghosts can leave the bodies of those they overshadow it is possible they would be capable of leaving the body as well after it's death.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back