• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cross-Dimensional Vs Low Multiversal Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkDragonMedeus said:
I agree with that bit, Low Multiversal would be assumed to be above and beyond the edge of the Universe to the point where it can reach other Universes as well. So perhaps this.

• Low Multiversal: Attacks are able to reach anywhere between two to a thousand 4-dimensional space-time continuums
  • Cross-Dimensional: Attacks can reach outside of conventional space; whether through pocket realities, certain portions outside the Universe, and possibly certain portions within other universes, but are less than multiversal in reach.
@Wok You missed this ^

I think that it may be better to have Low Multiversal range be to affect between 2 and 1000 universes at the same time, whereas Cross-Dimensional simply means crossing dimensional barriers, whether that is to have attacks reach another pocket reality or universe, because there really is no good way for us to estimate the difference between Low Multiversal, Multiversal, and Multiversal+ range, if we only count it as crossing a certain number of universes, since we do not know how many that separate one universe from another.

@Wokistan and Antvasima

Because dimensional barriers are a magic-think/throw-away/buzz term. A three-dimensional "magical barrier" separating two realms is like a wall separating your room from another room or basically it's to explain non-euclidean shenanigans. It's not the same as crossing two universes and hardly any fiction I can think of ever claims them to be the same unless the writer is as incompetent as the term they keep uses (that term being "dimension"). Range is about distance, so of course the size of the destination is relevant. The distance between two 3D realms =/= the distance between two 4-dimensional continuums.

Antvasima said:
I think that it may be better to have Low Multiversal range be to affect between 2 and 1000 universes at the same time, whereas Cross-Dimensional simply means crossing dimensional barriers, whether that is to have attacks reach another pocket reality or universe, because there really is no good way for us to estimate the difference between Low Multiversal, Multiversal, and Multiversal+ range, if we only count it as crossing a certain number of universes, since we do not know how many that separate one universe from another.
I especially agree with this issue. I'm not sure what range to give a character, since she can reach hundreds of timelines, but she probably reaches across thousands since most are inaccessible to her, but even then she can only create small-scale effects with a tiny range on those timelines (and her own).

But @Sera does make a good point with her new post, however "Trans Universal" sounds like it would only count for reaching between 3-A/High 3-A universes, rather than Low 2-C and above ones.

@Agnaa

Transuniversal is just traveling from one universe to the next (no more). It's like sending an attack from Universe A to Universe B, whereas Low Multiversal starts at encompassing both universes at once, no travel involved. Range that encompassing the totality of both universes. That's not to say travel disqualifies something for having Multiversal or above range, though, especially for tiers higher than 2-A.

Be that as it may, I am completely fine with transuniversal just being low multiversal since two universes are involved. I only made the distinction because I wouldn't consider, for example, flying across one country to the next in an instant to be the same as instantly affecting the entirety of both countries.

Because dimensional barriers are a magic-think/throw-away/buzz term.

Who said these were in play though? I can think of tons of examples of pocket dimensions and stuff that don't have literal walls.

It's not the same as crossing two universes and hardly any fiction I can think of ever claims them to be the same unless the writer is as incompetent as the term they keep uses

I'm not saying going across two universes though, I'm saying just entering a second. An example I was thinking of is Worm where universes seem aligned on a 4th axis, since people who specifically have 4D movement are able to just move across them at whim just like any other direction. I don't see why Scion would have multiversal range just because he gets an extra direction when it's not like he can just be anywhere in any universe at any time, and everyone else is specifically limited to the earth's atmosphere.

Range is about distance, so of course the size of the destination is relevant.

Why do you have to go everywhere in your destination though? I could draw two circles of varying size on a sheet of paper, but if I'm just gonna stab it from the top I didn't cover more distance just because a circle I impaled was larger.

The distance between two 3D realms =/= the distance between two 4-dimensional continuums.

I'm pretty sure pocket dimensions still usually have time of some sort, or don't sacrifice a spatial axis.

I am fine with calling Trans-Dimensional Trans-Universal instead.

Wouldn't the term "Inter-Dimensional" be better word for the ability to go across spatial barriers? or to a "World" that exist separately from one universe saptially, but existin within the same "Timeline/Universe" if you get what i mean??? basically for Pocket realities, random sized dimensions within the same space-time continuum

I agree with Sera regarding the statements of "Spatial barriers". And that the size of the Universes/dimensions do matter. As well as the number of universes one can cross/effect at once is also good for determining the level of the range. But there's a difference between nuking areas and sniping someone from a distance. The former is AoE and range, but the latter while not AoE is still range. You don't need to be able to nuke two or more universes to have Low Multiversal range, but let's say a character's attacks has a sniping range territory within 2 to 1000 Universes. That is Low Multiversal.

I also think Inter-dimensional sounds better than Cross-Dimensional.

let's say a character's attacks has a sniping range territory within 2 to 1000 Universes. That is Low Multiversal.

And a sniping range of 2 to 1000 Universes where they've only been shown to snipe people on their planet would be Inter-Dimensional?

@Medeus

I meant that characters able to cause some kind of effect in 2 to 1000 universes at once should get Low Multiversal range, since we cannot distinguish it from Multiversal or Multiversal+ otherwise, whereas characters that can simply reach other random universes with their powers should get Trans-Universal/Interdimensional (whatever we choose to call it) range.

I mean, I agree that there's definitely a distinction, and effecting them all at once would qualify. And being able to nuke 1001 universes is a Multiversal range feat, but it's not like one has to nuke an Earth to sun distance to have interplanetary range as opposed to simply being able to snipe someone on Earth from the Sun.

So I'd say that being able to snipe 1001 or more targets all at once with each of them being located within a universe. I'd say something like that Multiversal in stead of assuming we have to cover the entirety of all those universes. Even if there's an infinite number of universes, I'd say sniping other universes if it's less 1001 universes being sniped at once is Low Multiversal.

Though, I'm fine if simply being able to travel to other universes is Trans-Universal or Interdimensional. And that reaching in or out of pocket realities is Cross-dimensional.

That is what I have been trying to say. Affecting targets in 56 different universes at the same time should be Low Multiversal, affecting targets in 45678 universes at the same time should be Multiversal, and affecting targets in infinite universes at the same time should be Multiversal+, whereas simply affecting targets in a random single other universe should be Interdimensional/Trans-Universal.

Usually I would say "At least Universal+" in range if said character's range is Universal+ and can also affect something in another universe.

I think that Universal+ means affecting the universe you are standing in anywhere in space and time.

I prefer Trans-dimensional range, as a special rating, for such things. I don't like how Trans-universal sounds.

Giving Low Multiversal Range to someone who can only reach it or affect a small part of it would be somewhat misleading, since it could potentially give the impression that said character can affect the entirety of an alternate space-time continuum.

So it is better if we simply gave them Trans/Cross Dimensional instead.

Yeah. Or that their regular attacks could travel an infinite range on their own.

Transdimensional!

If a character has transdimensional range, would they also have their non-dimensional range (i.e. planetary, several km) listed as well?

Agnaa said:
If a character has transdimensional range, would they also have their non-dimensional range (i.e. planetary, several km) listed as well?
I'm pretty sure that would still be the case yes.

I am fine with calling it Transdimensional range if Promestein thinks that it sounds better than Interdimensional.

I prefer Interdimensional if that is acceptable.

Imo, transdimensional sounds like something that can go across from one timeline into a completely different space-time continuum without affecting the whole thing(??)

interdimensional is for things that exist within the same space-time/timeline just separated by some weird powerful/strong spatial barrier (or many barriers) and for worlds that don't interact or intersect within (or reside inside) the same Universe/timeline/space-time continuum/spacetime/timespace. basically for pocket dimension, pocket realities etc. (Without affecting the whole thing too???)

That is just my opinion though, and i could be wrong. im not an english major, or rocket scientist lol

"inter- a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, where it meant "between," "among," "in the midst of," "mutually," "reciprocally," "together," "during" (intercept; interest); on this model, used in the formation of compound words (intercom; interdepartmental)"

"trans- a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin (transcend; transfix); on this model, used with the meanings "across," "beyond," "through," "changing thoroughly," "transverse," in combination with elements of any origin: transisthmian; trans-Siberian; transempirical; transvalue. Chemistry."

What do the rest of you think about what TheUpgradeManHaHaxD wrote?

I disagree, same thing, doesn't matter. Overthinking it.

I'm fine with those changes, Ant, though I think specifying that these things can't travel a universal distance is important. Scion couldn't hit someone across the universe, but he could hit someone in a neighboring universe.

Okay. How about this then?

"Interdimensional: Attacks and abilities that can reach beyond the conventional space-time of a single universe, such as into external pocket realities or parts of other universes, but that cannot affect the entirety of these spaces, several universes at the same time, or necessarily travel a universal distance."

Fine by me.

Should be "into external pocket realities or parts of other universes" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back