• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Courage The Cowardly Dog Revisions

LephyrTheRevanchist

VS Battles
Retired
Durability:

So I was reading the recent UnderTale upgrade thread of wall level characters to Building level based of the fact that they can tank heat comparable to the surface of the sun. This calc made by DT showed that yes, humans tanking heat comparable to the surface of the sun is building level, and tanking heat comparable to the core is Multi-City Block. Based on the same calc, Courage's Durability was putted at MCB since he could survive being in the core of the sun. Which at first glance might seem ok, but...

DT, in the same blog, made a calc showing what is needed to tank being in the core itself (what Courage did), and the results were significantly higher than MCB.

The result (for a human) was 5.4829665830566922E+21 joules, which is actually 1.3 teratons, or Small Country Level. This calc, of course, applies only to a human being, but it shows that being inside the core of the sun is way more than Multi-City Block. Many guys in the coments also mentioned that the calc didn't take into consideration the pressure inside the core.

Monarch linked in the coments a calc done by Kepekley23 that also got Small Country Level results from withstanding the pressure of being inside the star.

So I propose that a new calc be done taking into consideration the fact that, well... Courage is a dog, not a human, to find what would be his durability from being inside the core of the sun.

Here is the episode where the feat happens, by the way, in case is needed. Courage goes through the surface of the sun into the core, which might even give a speed feat, since there is a counter of the seconds he needs to go to the core before the sun becomes a Red Giant.

Although, there is also an episode where Courage and Muriel get launched from the Earth to the Moon and make a quite big crater, so there could also be a good durability feat.

Plus there is an episode where the planet gets hit by a meteor with such force that it gets launched through the solar system... Twice, something that Muriel, Eustace, Courage and the house survives, making them time travel 1000 years into the future and back. But this one probably can't be quantifiable, which is a shame.

AP:

There is... A pretty odd feat, to say the least. In the episode "The Last of the Star Makers" (my personal favorite one), the space squid seemingly creates a star and Courage can hold it just fine. Obviously, a star is not that little, but at the beginning of the episode (and a bit later in that same scene), the space squids do create literal stars.

But that is not all, as Courage do scale to his Durability, being capable of fighting on par with Katz who can damage him, multiple times.

And let's not forget his arch nemesis, the chicken from outer space.

Speed:

As mentioned above (and shown in the coments), Courage's speed should be Relativistic, but he has another feat where he piloted a space ship capable of traversing the solar system in seconds and navigated through an asteroid field, so he should have MFTL reactions.

Resistance to mindhax:

In the King of Flan episode, aside from being quite disgusting... Courage partially resisted the king's mind control, who could control all of Nowhere into buying flan. The King even stated that if he had the range, he could mind control the entire world, which makes courage resistance quite significant.

-

That is all for now, I believe.

According to this article, the distance from the surface to the core of the sun is around 700,000 km. In the counter on Courage's ship when he arrived to the sun, it stated that there were 9 seconds left until the sun became a Red Giant. Assuming that's the exact amount of time (which isn't the case, since he had enough time left to change "the sun's lightbulb") it took him, he would be Relativistic.

700,000 km / 9 seconds = 77,777 km/s or 0.25946c. 25% the speed of light.

Commented on the pressure calc.

In regards to my heat calc: There was the debate which end of my calc to use, as they both had their advantages. I don't remember what the calc group settled on when they last debated it.

Modifying it for a dog is easy enough, in any case:

I will leave out the conduction step, since it gives only minor results.

So what we want to know first is the surface area. I have no idea what kid of dog courage is, but I will just approximate him with an adult labrador. Average adult male labrador weighs 65lbs Ôëê 30kg . Usingthis chart we get the surface area to be about 0.98 m^2.

Plugging everything into the calculator we get 4.0512494984119E+21 J/s.

So not much of a change.

Assuming the specific heat capacity of a dog is similar to a human the maximum internal energy intake comes out as 3470*30*15 700 000 = 1.63437e12 J.

I am very okay with what DT proposed, along with the things in the revision. Also, I'm fine with the AP, and it makes Courage's 4-C feat seem less like an outlier.

Perhaps somebody should copy DontTalk's new calculation to a blog post, so we have something to link to?

First of all, big thanks to DontTalk for taking his time to coment here. And thanks to you all, too!

@Dark

Thats when Courage fought for the second time with LeQuack. They were bringing stuff from the TV to reality.

@Ant

I will do so once I get to a pc. Well, if somebody else hasn't done it 'til then.

I believe there is another good feat where Courage gives an alien a stick of dynamite that exploded the whole ship, when said ship crashed into Saturn's ring and took it out of orbit and was just fine. I will search for that too.

Edit: found it.

Edit2: in the same episode, he fights on par, once again, with someone that can damage him. Well, is basically a slap fight, but you get the point, lol.

I have done so. Thanks once again. Should also try and calc the moon feat, or ask a calc group member. Also the saturn one.

It depends on if you think that you have the skills to handle them on your own.

Back