• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Companies category guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a company category Category:MiHoYo. While the category description is good, I noted that the description may be a little too detailed.

First, I feel that the company categories description does not need a list of the verses created by these companies. For example, Category:MiHoYo has:
This company is the creator of Genshin Impact, an open-world action role-playing game released in 2020, and one of the highest grossing mobile games. miHoYo has also developed the games Houkai Gakuen 2 and Honkai Impact 3rd.
I believe that it is unnecessary especially considering that similar functioned categories already contain the works a "company" created. In a word, information regarding works created by the "company" is not a necessary information and should be better deleted.

Second, I feel that the company categories description does not need an introduction of the workspace situation of these companies. For example, Category:MiHoYo has:
miHoYo currently employs 2,400 people
VS Battles Wiki is not Linkin and we do not need introduction of the workspace situation of these companies unless it is extremely important for VS Battles Wiki's purpose. In a word, information regarding workspace situation of the "company" is not a necessary information and should be better deleted.

Then, which information is important?

The basic definition of the "company" (XXX is a company; XXX is a creator) and all notable names (XXX, former YYY)

I feel that a guideline regarding category, based on the suggestions above, can be written and request for such.

Last edited:
As long as the company categories strictly list the verses and verse categories for intellectual properties owned by them, I think that it seems fine and useful for our organisation to keep them.

As long as the company categories strictly list the verses and verse categories for intellectual properties owned by them, I think that it seems fine and useful for our organisation to keep them.
I'm sorry that you may misunderstand my first part of proposal. "does not need a list of the verses created by these companies" only refers to the category's description part (which can be edited through clicking "EDIT" in the category page), not the pages included in the category. Actually, all my proposal in this thread is focused on how descriptions in the category page should better look like (For example, https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Category:MiHoYo?action=edit can access to editor of descriptions of the category page "Category:MiHoYo").

Oh. I apologise then. If you just want to shorten down the company category description texts to what is strictly necessary, rather than include redundant information, that obviously seems fine.

Yeah, I remember having an over abundance of Company Categories and I think it was generally agreed that ones with a verse page such as Nintendo and Disney are fair game, but it was the numerous 3rd party companies and cross platform gaming companies like Rare, Activision, ect that people had issues with.

Company categories in general are fine to keep for organisation purposes, but they should only include verses that are their intellectual properties.

That seems good to me. Thank you for helping out.

That seems good to me. Thank you for helping out.
Since the purpose of this suggestion is to propose a standardized description of category page. I have edited Category:MiHoYo again to highlight that company category contains verses, which are not limited to games.

Another (and) new example is this edit in Category:Taito. In this edit, the basic information (when it was founded, when it is closed/bought by another company, the alternative name of the company) has been presented. I have tried to make such information simple and accurate, and I feel that these two edited version could be good examples.

Your edits look good to me. Please remind me what you mean with "examples" exactly though.

Your edits look good to me. Please remind me what you mean with "examples" exactly though.
"examples" in this case is literally as it means. We have introduced Pluto (Marvel Comics) as an example of Reference usage, and the category pages I linked above may be suitable to be introduced here for similar purpose.

Since I'm not a native English speaker, the descriptions may be imperfect and are subjected to further edit. From now, I feel that the name of company, the alternative name, the date when it was founded, the date when it was brought (if it is brought) or merged into another company are important information and should be included.

Okay, but I am not sure where exactly that you want us to include this information.

The following page does not quite seem suitable for example.

I'd also like if we limited company categories to stuff they actually own, rather than stuff that just happens to have stuff published/collaborated by them, as this ends up with game companies having in their categories animes they only collaborated on, for example.

That is a good idea. Should we write a new addition to our Editing Rules for all of this, or is it better to place the instructions somewhere else?

Do you mean that we should write instructions in the "Companies" category page itself? If so, that seems fine to me.

Do you mean that we should write instructions in the "Companies" category page itself? If so, that seems fine to me.
It may be a good idea if there were no drawback of this method:
First, "Companies" category page may not have enough people watching it.
Second, the instruction is subject to expansion.
Therefore, I propose for a page similar to Standard Format for Category. Further, we could merge the current
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Standard_Format_for_Category_Names into the Standard Format for Category
since Standard Format for Category would cover more standard format for category, not only the company category page.

I am fine with if you write a wiki sandbox draft for a new categories standard format page, and merge the contents of the standard format for category names page into it. After that has been accepted, you can post it as a regular page instead, and we can turn the previous page into a redirect link.

I am fine with if you write a wiki sandbox draft for a new categories standard format page, and merge the contents of the standard format for category names page into it. After that has been accepted, you can post it as a regular page instead, and we can turn the previous page into a redirect link.
I'm sorry that I'm too late in this proposal, but here is the sandbox:
Since this proposal is about the content of company category page, it is written as such and I don't have much idea in further expanding the guideline. Also, the proposed new guideline may contain basic grammar mistakes and I don't have much time further revising the guideline. The help from staffs are really appreciated.

Since this proposal is about the content of company category page, it is written as such and I don't have much idea in further expanding the guideline. Also, the proposed new guideline may contain basic grammar mistakes and I don't have much time further revising the guideline. The help from staffs are really appreciated.
@Damage3245 @Elizhaa @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Agnaa @Dereck03

Would any of you be willing to help out with handling it please?

I would not be, apologies.

Checking through and possibly improving on Mariogoods' draft for a new "Standard format for Categories" instruction page.

Checking through and possibly improving on Mariogoods' draft for a new "Standard format for Categories" instruction page.
@Promestein

Given that you used to be the categories cleanup expert in our wiki, your help would also be appreciated here regarding how we should properly write our new guidelines, but it is obviously up to you if you are interested or not.

I think category descriptions are bound to be really simple and straightforward, there's not a lot to say besides referring to examples.

I think category descriptions are bound to be really simple and straightforward, there's not a lot to say besides referring to examples.
Okay. Thank you for helping out.

We will also have to redirect this page:

Thank you for presenting your version. Since it seems that your proposed version of guideline lacks something I originally proposed, I'll explain.
the year it is merged
e.g. Taito has been bought by Square Enix. And all verse pages with [[Category:Taito]] is with [[Category:Square Enix]] because of the bought.
the year when it changes the name
e.g. (despite it is not a company creating verses, but it provides an extreme possibility) Facebook Inc. changed its name to Meta (trade name)

Still, I agree with you that the introduction should be simple.

sure. that's fine. feel free to edit my version and use it for the final page

Thank you. I slightly renamed your new page though.

Feel free to properly merge the contents of our previous "Category Names" page into your new page. I can update the links to it afterwards.

It looks like some concerns regarding limiting how to use categories for companies wasn't done yet, for example:

I'd also like if we limited company categories to stuff they actually own, rather than stuff that just happens to have stuff published/collaborated by them, as this ends up with game companies having in their categories animes they only collaborated on, for example.

Looking at the discussion this premise was agreed on, then decided to just be moved to a side page that was in the end just merged with the result, so I'd have to just reiterate this premise for completionism's sake.

More specifically, there's an issue with how some companies get the license of an IP they don't own to make a product overall owned by another company. Common examples include videogames, a good example is how Kingdom Hearts is fully owned by Disney bar the Square Enix character cameos, or how the Bandai Namco category is swarmed with animes they don't own beyond merely developing games for their proper owners.

Okay. I think that your suggestion above seems sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back