• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Common Feat - Destroying a Skyscraper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which we are defaulting to 222,500 tons, so we already have mass.
The size doesn't matter if we already have mass.
The problem with that is you using the weight of a skyscraper as well.
The Empire State Building is outright stated to being 365,000 tons in a fact sheet. Also the one you using is for a average skyscraper so yeah.

The problem with that is you using the weight of a skyscraper as well.
The Empire State Building is outright stated to being 365,000 tons in a fact sheet. Also the one you using is for a average skyscraper so yeah.
How much the Empire State Building weighs means nothing, as I'm just finding the mass ratio of materials to use for a 222,500 ton skyscraper.

All the Empire State Building is being used for, is only the RATIO of materials.
I repeat: ONLY.

Your calculations just used density and volume of a skyscraper in order to get the numbers for those materials though.
Anyway, I assumed the hollowness was also accounted for as well.

Also IIRC, ain’t skyscrapers technically have mixed composition as well? I do doubt they are just made out of pure steel or pure concrete anyway.

Also IIRC, ain’t skyscrapers technically have mixed composition as well? I do doubt they are just made out of pure steel or pure concrete anyway.
What do you think the mass ratios are for...?
The composition of materials of the structure.

1/6 steel, 5/6 concrete
Everything else such as glass and cables is ditto.

What do you think the mass ratios are for...?
The composition of materials of the structure.

1/6 steel, 5/6 concrete
Everything else such as glass and cables is ditto.
I not blind on that fact as I already technically noticed it.
Anyway, as long as the hollowness of the skyscraper is accounted, it should been fine as I didn’t exactly see that in the calc for it.

I not blind on that fact as I already technically noticed it.
Anyway, as long as the hollowness of the skyscraper is accounted, it should been fine as I didn’t exactly see that in the calc for it.
The weight of the skyscraper already accounts for the hollowness in advance. If we went off by volume the mass value would be inflated massively.

You'd still need the weight and volume of the "average skyscraper" to use the ESB's material composition ratio on.

The height of the building itself has nothing to do with the ratio.

Last edited:
HammerStrikes219, it appears as if you are derailing the progress here. Please stop doing so. Thank you.

The weight already accounts for the hollowness in advance.

You'd still need the weight and volume of the "average skyscraper" to use the ESB's material composition ratio on.

Whenever I look up the mass of the "average skyscraper", I always get 222,500 tons.
Which seems pretty reasonable, and it is what is already used.

I already did the calcs, but I used imperial tons instead of metric tons. So I gotta fix that.

Whenever I look up the mass of the "average skyscraper", I always get 222,500 tons.

I already did the calcs, but I used imperial tons instead of metric tons. So I gotta fix that.
Ah. Didn't see that.

Well, yeah, change it with metric, then put it on a blog and I'll evaluate it, and call up a few boys.

If so, here would be the values:

Mass of a skyscraper: 222,500 imperial tons; 201,814,058.957 kg
Density of structural steel: 7,850 kg/m3
Density of reinforced concrete: 2,500 kg/3
Mass Ratio: 1/6 steel, 5/6 concrete

Mass of steel: 201,814,058.957 x (1/6) = 33,635676.493 kg
Mass of concrete: 201,814,058.957 x (5/6) = 168,178,382.464 kg

Volume of steel: 4,284,799,553.225 cm3
Volume of concrete: 67,271,352,985.639 cm3

Frag (Steel): 891,238,307,070.882 joules
Frag (Concrete): 672,713,529,856.387 joules
Total: 1.56395e+12 joules, or 373.793 Tons of TNT (8-A)

V. Frag (Steel): 2.43591e+12 joules
V. Frag (Concrete): 4.11701e+12 joules
Total: 6.55292e+12 joules, or 1.56619 Kilotons of TNT (Low 7-C)

Pulv. (Steel [Average of 655 J/c3]): 2.80654e+12 joules
Pulv. (Concrete): 4.10355e+13 joules
Total: 4.3842e+13 joules, or 10.4785 Kilotons of TNT (7-C)

I can't find a vap. value for concrete, but vap. for the steel alone is: 2.61e+14 joules, or 62.383 Kilotons (7-C+)
Ah. Didn't see that.

Well, yeah, change it with metric, then put it on a blog and I'll evaluate it, and call up a few boys.
There, I fixed it to metric.

Thank you. Are any calc group members here willing to evaluate it?

HammerStrikes219, it appears as if you are derailing the progress here. Please stop doing so. Thank you.

I was merely pointing out you using the weights as well. Also this does apply to any buildings IIRC.

The weight of the skyscraper already accounts for the hollowness in advance. If we went off by volume the mass value would be inflated massively.

It seems I cause a misunderstanding. The reason why we got the weight is because of a formula used in engineering. I also have to double check in advance to ensure that is the case as well.

Edit: This seems to check out too.

Answer to How can I calculate the weight of the skyscraper? by Hessam Kazemzadeh

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-cal...&share=c65dc679&srid=Xiz37&target_type=answer

Last edited:
I added the calc, after changing some formatting.

Dereck, since you're here, could you replace the direct Wikipedia links with proper ones? And remove the underscores from any other links in the page? I'm about to head to bed.

I added the calc, after changing some formatting.

Dereck, since you're here, could you replace the direct Wikipedia links with proper ones? And remove the underscores from any other links in the page? I'm about to head to bed.
I'll check in a few minutes as I just wake up.

so uh i ain't gonna read the whole thread cause my head hurts but has anyone figured out how to vape a skyscraper yet?

'Fraid not.
kazuma_kiryu_slams_a_desk_and_leaves.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back