• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cloud Calculations issue 2: It's foggy outside

Actually, it becomes more "almost every storm reaching the horizon is 20 km now".

The other revision is still legit, but this puts a cap to the radius

Mr. Bambu said:
Of course it has been shown that I am about as intelligent as a very clever pebble so I could be incorrect.
Not so much incorrect so much as the point went non-corporal on your ass

"In the article linked above it was said that one could rarely see further than 20km. That fits this, according to which in clear weather conditions the visibility is 20km, in very clear conditions 50km and exceptionally clear conditions even 280km."

20km-280km*

And... I'm aware that this is an extension, or more appropriately a response, to the other revision. That doesn't mean it doesn't void a lot of what was said over there, in that the other revision states radius of clouds should be higher whereas this puts a limit on that exact same radius based on visibility.

Yes. That's the point.

I updated the cloud calculations page a few days ago and now also the Standard Storm Calculations page.

The latter I basically rewrote in the progress. I have calculated the most common results for CAPE calcs and put them in a table there. As usual it would be good if someone checks whether those are correct.

@DontTalkDT

Thank you very much for the help.

@All

I would appreciate if somebody could ask all of the current calc group members, along with Kaltias, Assaltwaffle, Ugarik, and Calaca Vs, to comment here via their message walls, as it is important that they check through DonTalkDT's new methods.

Okay. Thank you for the evaluation.

@DontTalkDT

Do you think that the table should be reinserted?

I'm confused on how one would quantifiably differentiate between clear and very clear? Or would it just be a case of whichever most agree on for the situation?

TataHakai said:
I'm confused on how one would quantifiably differentiate between clear and very clear? Or would it just be a case of whichever most agree on for the situation?
"Very clear" shouldn't be possible during a storm or cloudy wether in gerenar. I think "clear" just means "no fog"

I reinserted the table.

TataHakai said:
The values aside from "clear" are for the most part for overview, low or high ends and possibly rare statements like "The air is very clear today" or something.

In practice "clear" will be the value used almost always, if there is no fog, rain etc. present.

DontTalkDT said:
I reinserted the table.
TataHakai said:
The values aside from "clear" are for the most part for overview, low or high ends and possibly rare statements like "The air is very clear today" or something.
In practice "clear" will be the value used almost always, if there is no fog, rain etc. present.
Fair enough i guess

so for rainy weather distance to horizon can't be used?

It can't be used regardless because distance to the horizon does not determine radius of the visible clouds

I actually had the same like of thought about horizon line storms pretty recently, so I'm glad to see it addressed. This is a big pair of threads.

So what do the rest of you think of DontTalk's modifications to the pages?

They seem to be fine, although the values in the standard results are slightly rounded, there should be no problems.

What I don't understand is why add a column with results using a height of 11800 meters if we're never going to use it.

I basically included it because I like giving a range of realistic values. If you guys see a good reason to remove them you can do that.

I self evidently have bias to my blog, but you guys can pick whichever is best.

So if it's raining or something like that, we should use 10 km?

I think that it's important to determine it given that rain is obviously going to be present in a lot of storm feats

Rain is like fog, in that it depends a whole lot on how strong its raining. The page on visibility linked above states 0.1 km for strong rain. So rain is probably between 10 km for very light rain and 100m for strong rain.

Back