• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Classic Doomguy speed adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qawsedf234

VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
Currently the speed justification for Classic Doom Protagonist is the following
Speed: At least Supersonic (Easily capable of outrunning rockets despite the restrictions of his armor, can dodge machine-generated electricity and plasma weapons with ease), likely Speed of Light attack speed with Unmaker (Fires lasers)
The issue I have the linked first feat. Its just using a bug as a speed justification as explained on the wiki page for this exploit and the previously linked video
Wallrunning is triggered when the following criteria are met simultaneously:
  • The player is running North along a North-South wall, or East along an East-West wall
  • The player's northbound or eastbound speed exceeds a specific threshold.
  • The player is moving against the wall in order to "slide" alongside it, without losing momentum in the northbound or eastbound direction.
In other words Doomguy cannot use this exploit if he's moving West or if he's moving South, can only use it on long walls, and cannot change directions without losing all of his speed
When a player encounters an obstacle, the game will attempt to "slide" the player alongside the obstacle. Presumably to improve the accuracy of collision detection, at high speeds the game will split the player's path of movement into two segments and test each segment for obstacles. No check is made to ensure that the player did not already slide along the wall once, so if the obstacle is present in each of the two segments, the player will slide along the wall twice in the same tic, effectively doubling the player's speed.

The bug only occurs when the player is traveling quickly enough to the North and/or to the East. This happens because the player's path is not split into segments unless his X or Y movement is greater than a certain amount. However, no check is performed to see if the player's speed is smaller than the negative of that threshold (i.e. the player is traveling just as fast South and/or West), so the bug is not invoked.

Wallrunning can only happen moving within a narrow range of angles relative to the wall, because the player's northbound or eastbound motion must be fast enough for the bug to occur. When a player slides alongside a wall, the velocity or momentum is adjusted to slow the player down. If the player is moving nearly parallel to the wall, then he will not slow down a significant amount, allowing him to move at the required speed continuously to invoke the bug.

It is possible for wallrunning to occur on angled walls, but this is very rare because it is more difficult to maintain the required speed in the North or East direction, and also because elastic collisions with walls can frequently disrupt the player's movement unpredictably.
As explained above, and explained in depth here, its exploiting the game's physic engine about how it pushes Doomguy away from walls to gain more speed. Also as a reminder, this thing and straferunning were never considered until well after Doom's release and is a game exploit to increase speed.

According to John Romero, straferunning did not come about until almost a year after Doom's release, and was unanticipated in the design of the original levels.
As an equivalent, this is like using BLJs to increase Mario's speed to infinity or using Half-Life spin exploits to get Gordon to universal supersonic+ speeds.

Suggestion

Just remove the first calc. He keeps his speed for dodging electricity.

This seems fine and uncontroversial to me. I agree.

I have since given up on defending the old calculation, so I'm fine with this. But the machine generated electricity stuff should still be good.

So if everyone's good with it I'll just remove the first calc and close the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back