• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chapter 1029 Hawkins Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Alright so with the release of chapter 1029 we're given more information about Basil Hawkins abilities, so I'll cut to the chase.

Basil Hawkins needs an ability revision and added weaknesses.

1. Recap​

Basil Hawkins has an ability called "Life Minus", where if he gets struck by an attack, the damage goes to someone else's respective place of damage, and Hawkins is unharmed.

If you stab Hawkins in his chest, someone else gains a stab wound.

It's explained here.

2. Showings of the Ability​

They're all here.

3. Weaknesses​

Weakness #1, Missing Exit​

We see on the new chapter that if Basil Hawkins is struck by a person, and the damage has nowhere to go, then the damage will go to him.

Eustass Kid has no left arm. When Killer cut off Basil Hawkins' left arm, the damage went to him.
Killer: What happens if you take damage that has nowhere else to go?
Hawkins: What are you talking about?! You should understand my powers by now...!! As long as I have his straw holl in me, any damage I take goes to Kid!!
Hawkins: You... you cut off my arm?!! But the damage should have...
Killer: Kid... doesn't have a left arm!!!

So if the owner of the life does not share the body part that the damage is supposed to transfer to, then the damage goes directly to Hawkins.

Weakness #2, Direct Attack​

As Hawkins puts others' lives into his doll, any damage done on the specific lives will kill the straw doll as well.

So if somehow you manage to attack someone that owns the life, they will be harmed and the life will be lost.

4. Abilities​

Hawkins is virtually immune to attacks. Abilities that horizontally bisect him, abilities that cut straight through his body, abilities that stab him. He was even immune to the brain damage he dealt to Kid when he bashed his head upon a wall.

He should get invulnerability via Attack Redirection/Reflection, which makes it to where attacks dealt to him can not harm him as long as he has extra lives. If not that, then maybe regen.

I'm not sure if this is covered by the Attack Reflection, so let me know if that's the case.

5. Required Damage dealt​

The damage needs to be enough to kill the victim before their straw doll dies.

Kid's doll did not die from the many wounds and bruises Kid was given.

Yet we see during Sabaody that the fodder kicked by Kizaru automatically died from his attacks, making their dolls fall out.

6. Removing Possibly​

Goma no So is an AP amp. Shouldn't be Possibly Statistics Amplification

In Conclusion​

Powers and Abilities:
Life Manipulation with Straw Man (He places the essence of others into his dolls. He has a limit of 10 dolls at a time), Attack Reflection and Invulnerability with Life Minus (Basil Hawkins has the ability of Life Minus, where when he is attacked, the effects of the attack gets redirected to one of the dolls inside his body. Because of that, the attack ends up damaging the person that the doll represents, leaving Hawkins untouched. The doll is only fully destroyed when it kills the victim), Transformation and Statistics Amplification (via Goma no So)

Weaknesses: Standard Devil Fruit users weaknesses. Voodoo doll supply is limited to ten dolls. Any damage done to the Straw Man figure from the sword created by the Card of Pursuit is transferred to Hawkins himself. The damage dealt to Hawkins needs a respective exit on someone else's body, so if the damage has nowhere to go, it goes straight to Hawkins. If you kill Hawkins' other lives directly, he loses a doll.

Last edited:
I agree.

Though wouldn't it be Limited Invulnerability and Limited Attack Reflection since it can only work as long as he has victims to his DF abilities?

Looks good, this also applies for attacks that don't involve damaging the opponent as law's spatial cuts were reflected as well.

Disagree, we have Damage Transferal for a reason (and i think Hawkins already has that), the page itself also notes that "Transferring wounds does not necessarily remove the wounds from the afflicted user." so all we would need to add is that Hawkins' version does remove the wounds from him

Disagree, we have Damage Transferal for a reason (and i think Hawkins already has that), the page itself also notes that "Transferring wounds does not necessarily remove the wounds from the afflicted user." so all we would need to add is that Hawkins' version does remove the wounds from him
It's not damage transferral, and he doesn't have that on his page for that exact reason.

Damage Tranferal page:
"Damage Transferal is the ability to duplicate the wounds an individual has suffered from on to their opponent or other individuals or objects. The ability can also be used to have the target such as an object or person take damage for the user or have the target suffer the same damage they have suffered."

"This ability is not to be confused with Attack Reflection, which reflects attacks rather than transfer injuries."

What KT said:
"Basil Hawkins has an ability called "Life Minus", where if he gets struck by an attack, the damage goes to someone else's respective place of damage, and Hawkins is unharmed."

Except it is reflecting the result of the attack; even attacks that Hawkins takes no damage from (laws spatial cuts) are reflected onto the straw dolls host.

Damage transferal requires the user to damaged/wounded first for them to be transferred but Hawkins takes no damage from the hit, the attacks result hits the straw dolls host.

Damage transferral is duplicating the damage, something Hawkins doesn't do.

Hawkins sends it somewhere else.

Even if he isn't always damaged, in some cases he seems to be before he sends the damage to someone else like in the scan above.

If it's going to be reflection it needs to be Limited Reflection, as he can't choose to who and where he will send the attacks and he can't use the reflected attacks to damage his opponents.

But "Can transfer damage from himself to other people via Voodoo Dolls" is a kinda strange description to attack reflection, btw.

Even if he isn't always damaged, in some cases he seems to be before he sends the damage to someone else like in the scan above.
Hawkins will never suffer effects from the attacks that hit him (whether physical or hax), I'm not sure what point is being made. The result of the attack is what's being reflected onto his host; like when Kizaru kicked him the life doll host took the impact to the head, when Kizaru sent an explosion at Hawkins it was the life doll host who was set on fire and when law cut him with his room ability it was the life doll host who was split in half.
If it's going to be reflection it needs to be Limited Reflection, as he can't choose to who and where he will send the attacks and he can't use the reflected attacks to damage his opponents.

But "Can transfer damage from himself to other people via Voodoo Dolls" is a kinda strange description to attack reflection, btw.
I don't know why it needs to be limited tbh, if a decent description is given then adding limited becomes redundant. The result of the attacks will always be sent to the straw dolls host.

I think a better description needs to be given than that, that is too vague.

Powers and Abilities:
Life Manipulation with Straw Man (He places the essence of others into his dolls. He has a limit of 10 dolls at a time), Attack Reflection and Invulnerability with Life Minus (Basil Hawkins has the ability of Life Minus, where when he is attacked, the effects of the attack gets redirected to one of the dolls inside his body. Because of that, the attack ends up damaging the person that the doll represents, leaving Hawkins untouched. The doll is only fully destroyed when it kills the victim), Transformation and Statistics Amplification (via Goma no So)

Weaknesses: Standard Devil Fruit users weaknesses. Voodoo doll supply is limited to ten dolls. Any damage done to the Straw Man figure from the sword is transferred to Hawkins himself. The damage dealt to Hawkins needs a respective exit on someone else's body, so if the damage has nowhere to go, it goes straight to Hawkins. If you kill Hawkins' other lives directly, he loses a doll.

This is a bit inconsistent, against Zoro using the card of pursuit it was damaged, but with the annihilation card it wasn't (Hawkins also says that straw man can't die)
So Card of Pursuit is different.

Word it like this then?

Any damage done to the Straw Man figure from the sword created by the Card of Pursuit is transferred to Hawkins himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back