• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cells at Work size question

So, I heard about them being smaller them normal cells, does anyone know from where their actuall size values come from?

bonus question: other then the theme of the manga/anima do we have any cannon evidence that they are actually that size?

So, I heard about them being smaller them normal cells, does anyone know from where their actuall size values come from?

bonus question: other then the theme of the manga/anima do we have any cannon evidence that they are actually that size?
Maybe apply it the same as anime vr games they don't actually destroy real buildings, I guess, we can use the assumption that concrete buildings are just like the real world

Maybe apply it the same as anime vr games they don't actually destroy real buildings, I guess, we can use the assumption that concrete buildings are just like the real world
I mean, I don't think It's ever directly stated that they are inside a human body and everything in the series seen to only represent the human systens, as far as I'm aware the only thing that say that everything is cell sized is the fact the serie is called "cells at work"

The manga (Chapter 1) does explicitly say "the inside of a human body"
Oh, okay, but where do we know they are smaller then normal cells? and wouldn't this parasite make us belive they are kinda larger sinse is the most 1 to 1 creature that apeared in the series?

Anisakis

Anisakis (アニサキス, Anisakisu?) is a parasitic creature who although ineffective toward humans, can cause allergic reactions to those infected like anaphylaxis. Anisakis has the appearance of a giant mute white eel. The Anisakis has a simplistic and feral attitude. Roar: Throwing nearby cells away.
cellsatwork.fandom.com
cellsatwork.fandom.com
saibou4-1.jpg

This a IRL parasite vermin... and I think I don't need to explain that this character holding a spear thing isn't cell sized compared to that worm

well... the irl thing lacks eyes but this is probable the most 1 to 1 creature/character/monster to their IRL counterpart

Oh, okay, but where do we know they are smaller then normal cells? and wouldn't this parasite make us belive they are kinda larger sinse is the most 1 to 1 creature that apeared in the series?

Anisakis

Anisakis (アニサキス, Anisakisu?) is a parasitic creature who although ineffective toward humans, can cause allergic reactions to those infected like anaphylaxis. Anisakis has the appearance of a giant mute white eel. The Anisakis has a simplistic and feral attitude. Roar: Throwing nearby cells away.
cellsatwork.fandom.com
cellsatwork.fandom.com
saibou4-1.jpg

This a IRL parasite vermin... and I think I don't need to explain that this character holding a spear thing isn't cell sized compared to that worm

well... the irl thing lacks eyes but this is probable the most 1 to 1 creature/character/monster to their IRL counterpart
Quick math thing (Using averages):

Eosinophils are 10-20 micrometers
Anisakis are 20-30 mm, or 20,000-30,000 micrometers

Going average:
25,000 / 15 = 1,666.67.

Though the size difference can range from 1,000x to 3,000x, so there's a fair bit of room for assumption.

So an anisaki would be around 1,666.67x larger than an eosinophil (in LENGTH compared to an eosinophil's "height").

So...that's actually a pretty reasonable size comparison tbh, as the head of the anisaki may only be a couple hundred times larger than the eosinophil, if that.

Last edited:
Quick math thing (Using averages):

Eosinophils are 10-20 micrometers
Anisakis are 20-30 mm, or 20,000-30,000 micrometers

Going average:
25,000 / 15 = 1,666.67.

Though the size difference can range from 1,000x to 3,000x, so there's a fair bit of room for assumption.

So an anisaki would be around 1,666.67x larger than an eosinophil (in LENGTH compared to an eosinophil's "height").

So...that's actually a pretty reasonable size comparison tbh, as the head of the anisaki may only be a couple hundred times larger than the eosinophil, if that.
Well, this is really nice size, sadly I don't think this is cell sized trough still type 3, well It's nice to have a actually usable estimation of the size.

So they are bigger them cells but still really small

Will You nake a calc blog for that or can I use Your calc to make a blog?

A IRL blood cell would be 0.007 mm in size, so that's actually a really big diference beigh 1 mm means that they are 100 times bigger then normal cells

There is... sizes in the first few chapters in volume 1, I remember! It is indeed tiny though. I don't think we really need to calculate it as such thanks to that, and if you want I take take photos from my copy, but I assume by now it's available online and people can just grab from there.

Last edited:
There is... sizes in the first few chapters in volume 1, I remember! It is indeed tiny though. I don't think we really need to calculate it as such thanks to that, and if you want I take take photos from my copy, but I assume by now it's available online and people can just grab from there.
Tried to find, the only thing they say is that they are inside a human

Okay. So in chapter 2, the first page gives us an indication that the unit of measurement our cast uses is in nanometres, with the cedar pollen being 30nm. For scale on this, we see the Cedar Pollen Allergen is around two-to-three times the size of the cedar pollen it hatches from, and the Cedar Pollen Allergen is seen dwarfing Red Blood Cell. So, these characters do seem to be on the playing field of nanometres... I feel there was another example of having stated sizes, but shouldn't find it glancing through. Hope this helps!

Then cells would be way smaller than irl then.

For example, an actual red blood cell is around 7.5 to 8.7 micrometers...or 7,500 to 8,700 nanometers.

That's also a VERY small grain of pollen, unless they accidentally used nanometers instead of micrometers.

As mountain cedar pollen grains range from 21 to 25 micrometers in diameter, not nanometers.

Hold up.
The creator probably saw that "nanometers" was dumb to use.

As in the anime, they changed the pollen's size to "30 micrometers", which is pretty reasonable for pollen grains.
Anime size canon change is a valid argument.

Though for the second one, if the author saw nm was dumb to use, why didn't the guy just retcon the manga size in the manga?

Though, the reason why people often cite author intent is because they're the ones that made the verse in question. An author may intend "X thing" while their work has consistently shown "Y thing" instead. Like Walter White being consistently shown 10-A feats despite being portrayed as an old man. Or in this case, the manga portraying microscopic entities in nanometers at first hand despite the author's intent.

Author's intent arguments usually circle back to the source canon itself.

Anime size canon change is a valid argument.

Though for the second one, if the author saw nm was dumb to use, why didn't the guy just retcon the manga size in the manga?

Though, the reason why people often cite author intent is because they're the ones that made the verse in question. An author may intend "X thing" while their work has consistently shown "Y thing" instead. Like Walter White being consistently shown 10-A feats despite being portrayed as an old man. Or in this case, the manga portraying microscopic entities in nanometers at first hand despite the author's intent.

Author's intent arguments usually circle back to the source canon itself.
Not sure myself, only reason I can think of that it was already too late or was too lazy.

The original manga was released on January 26, 2015, but the anime came out on July 8, 2018; around three and a half years after the manga.

But seeing how the author likely intended the characters' sizes to be pretty accurate to irl equivalents considering the setting literally being the human body...the anime's size is what I would personally go with.

The manga also does have some fun fact educational notes on the side as well

But seeing how the author likely intended the characters' sizes to be pretty accurate to irl equivalents considering the setting literally being the human body...the anime's size is what I would personally go with.

The manga also does have some fun fact educational notes on the side as well
Anime canon size arguement is technically valid since its in the story. Ok.

Back