• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Causality manipulation for Halo?

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
It seems that ships, due to going through different intervals of time during a slipspace jump, use some sort of causal manipulation device to correct the time they were away in the normal universe.

https://www.halopedia.org/Slipstream_space#Reconciliatio

The Forerunners could even use this as weapons, and once when they fought the Precurors had a giant device that can alter causality on a massive scale and reconcile the causality for entire fleets (Which usually number in the tens to hundreds of thousands).

Can this be added?

@FanofRPGs

Eh... I dunno.

Do you have scans of them weaponizing this? All I got from skimming through the article is techno-babble to justify FTL travel.

FanofRPGs said:
It seems that ships, due to going through different intervals of time during a slipspace jump, use some sort of causal manipulation device to correct the time they were away in the normal universe.
https://www.halopedia.org/Slipstream_space#Reconciliatio

The Forerunners could even use this as weapons, and once when they fought the Precurors had a giant device that can alter causality on a massive scale and reconcile the causality for entire fleets (Which usually number in the tens to hundreds of thousands).

Can this be added?
The Forerunners were forced to place significant importance on this phenomenon due to their routine galactic-scale travel. For example, reconciliation has a limited range and time dilation effects may occur if a ship performs a very long jump.[24] The Forerunners prevented this by completing unusually long slipspace journeys in a number of individual jumps, allowing reconciliation to take effect between each.[28] Despite the limitations it placed on them, the Forerunners could also control reconciliation to an extent, enabling them to use its effects against their enemies, hampering and even cutting off their channels of slipspace travel.[29] Early on in their history, the Forerunners used time-phased mirrors to reconcile space-time on a large scale.[30]

Yeah I suppose you can it. We know they can control it to some extent as evidenced by the qoute above.Also those time-phased mirros weren't weaponsthat were used in the Forerunner-Precursor, those were devices used to aid in slipspace travel as the Forerunners were not able to traverse galaxies otherwise at that time or later on.

@Stargate

The problem with that it's not really "weaponized". It just closes off avenues for FTL travel, which is meaningless against anything else that's FTL but doesn't need said channels.

Reppuzan said:
@Stargate
The problem with that it's not really "weaponized". It just closes off avenues for FTL travel, which is meaningless against anything else that's FTL but doesn't need said channels.
@Reppuza

Well I don't know weaponizing but they can manipulate causality to an extent via slipspace via various means.

@Stargate

I know it's describing it that way, but in practice it's not really manipulating cause and effect. It's just closing portals and pathways via a bunch of techno babble.

Our definition of Causality Manipulation is more along the lines of directly manipulating cause and effect. Gáe Bolg, a spear that can reverse causality so that the cause is "the heart is pierced" and the effect is "the spear is thrust" for a guaranteed hit is a much better example.

Reppuzan said:
@Stargate
I know it's describing it that way, but in practice it's not really manipulating cause and effect. It's just closing portals and pathways via a bunch of techno babble.

Our definition of Causality Manipulation is more along the lines of directly manipulating cause and effect. Gáe Bolg, a spear that can reverse causality so that the cause is "the heart is pierced" and the effect is "the spear is thrust" for a guaranteed hit is a much better example.
Well I don't know to be honest. I'm no physicist and I'd probably need someone with more knowledge of the Forerunners capabilities and physics like Rama from Spacebattles.com to verify or disprove the Forerunners using causality manipulation the way you're describing.

Back