• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Castlevania Revisions (And downgrades, maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
Yeah, I think this has been a long time coming. And before anyone gets their hopes up: No, I'm not going to downgrade the verse to Tier 9.

The Tier 4 ratings

So, currently, we give Dracula a 4-A low-end for a couple of reasons, one of which is the following:

Warped his castle and created a dimension containing numerous stars and a massive black hole sucking in said stars.

For reference, here is the "feat" in question. As you can see, it's... pretty damn vague, and although I don't necessarily think the background change itself is just an illusion, or something of the sort, I see no reason for us to concretely say that those little lights are stars, and much less to conclude that the dark sphere sucking them in is a supermassive black hole.

Really, if you weren't directly told to interpret them as being stars before watching the video, I severely doubt you'd make that association on your own, nevermind the fact that the game itself has no other background design that even resembles a starry sky for us to use as a reference point. So, at best, this is a vague, unquantifiable Spatial Manipulation feat.

The other feat is fine, though, since the power of Dracula's Castle did indeed dwarf the magical energy of a bunch of pocket dimensions and was considered a better power source by Brauner to the point he needed nine of them to even start weakening the place.

The Tier 2 ratings

One of the main feats supporting the Low 2-C tier currently in the profiles is listed in the Time Reaper's profile. Namely:

The Time Reaper was erasing the very fabric of time and destroying the Castlevania timeline.

This is only partially correct, for one. Let's take a look at the evidence in question:

Aeon: Right on time. Welcome to the time rift.
Dracula: What is your business with me, time traveler?
Aeon: There is one who would destroy this era to ensure your downfall.
Dracula: Ridiculous. And you would stop them with this contemptible farce?
Aeon: My name is Aeon. Shall we begin the first trial?

Aeon: Right on time. You must be the chosen one.
Sypha: A touch of what I desired... Just as you promised…
Aeon: Excellent. However, to leave this place, you must pass one last trial.
Sypha: And what is that?
Aeon: The enemy that trapped us here. He would destroy this era of time. He must be stopped.
Sypha: In that case, I will defeat him.

Death: Wanderer of time -- is this age on the verge of collapse?
Aeon: Ah, you see much. We need the soul keys, gained by passing a series of trials.
Death: If it serves the Master's purpose, I will do whatever is required.

So as many of you know, the Castlevania timeline goes over 1000 years. And there is a character trying to destroy that timeline. Simply, we wanted to get all the characters from past Castlevania titles into one game.

As you can see, all of these bits of dialogue very directly state that the Time Reaper was only intending to destroy the present era of time, and not the entire spacetime continuum, and the last comment by Koji Igarashi further confirms that "Castlevania timeline," in this case, only refers to a time period spanning 1000 years (Presumably the ones in which Dracula reigned as the Dark Lord.)

The very plot of the game supports this, too, since it was kickstarted by Galamoth, a being from 10,000 years in the future who has his sights on Dracula's throne, sending the Time Reaper into the far past so he can indirectly destroy Dracula by erasing the time period in which he exists, as Galamoth himself is far too weak compared to the Dark Lord and would be no match for him in a physical confrontation. This whole process would obviously be very unnecessary and counter-intuitive if the Time Reaper could just destroy the entire timeline anyway.

As a guardian of time, Aeon journeyed through the ages.
One day, suddenly and without warning, a powerful entity appeared from 10,000 years in the future, determined to destroy the very fabric of time.
Aeon enlisted the power of thirteen mighty souls, setting each on a path that would lead to this great enemy.
With only a single chance at victory, Aeon must determine the most worthy champion for the battle ahead...

Dracula: I've played your silly little game long enough. Time is secure now, is it not?
Aeon: Not quite. One last foe remains. A servant of he who hunts you from ten thousand years in the future.
Dracula: I fear no one requiring such absurd means to face me.
Aeon: With the final key the time barrier can be opened. Your final opponent awaits.
Dracula: Enough of your theatrics. Take me to him.
Aeon: Which leads to our final dilemma... The door will allow only a single being to enter.
Dracula: No matter. I will crush you and be on my way.
Aeon: You will not pass so easily.

Indeed, the Time Reaper destroying all of space and time at all already runs counter to Galamoth's plans, since it is established both in Judgement and in Symphony of the Night that his ultimate goal is to obtain rulership of the Netherworld which Dracula governs, and of all creation:

Alucard: So this was all as you had planned.
Aeon: There is just one last thing.
Alucard: Have I not collected every key? What lies beyond that door?
Aeon: A visitor from ten thousand years in the future. A servant of one who would rule over all creation.
Alucard: And I must defeat him to return to my world.

Magical being with plan to rule the netherworld.

Thus, the description should be changed accordingly, and whether or not the tier of the feat itself changes, I think, is something that requires a bit more discussion, since I don't think destroying only a part of a timeline is something we have much consensus on.

Granted, Judgement does other feats that could be interpreted as Tier 2, as well. For example, if you defeat Aeon using himself in a mirror-match, he will say this:

Time was on the verge of being destroyed.

Which is pretty straightforward, all things considered, and most certainly doesn't refer to the events of the main plot, since a mirror-match between Aeon and himself doesn't occur at any point in his Story Mode. Furthermore, Judgement itself takes place in a location called the "Time Rift," which Aeon himself describes as an alternate universe:

Shanoa: What is this place? I have a task I must complete.
Aeon: This is an alternate universe. You must pass a series of trials in order to gain passage out.
Shanoa: Is that so... Then it appears I have no choice.

And the Time Rift itself is a creation of the Time Reaper, either a byproduct of his destruction of the fabric of spacetime or the root cause of it, and it is only able to he mended (Or erased, as Aeon puts it) after he is defeated:

Golem: Why me here?
Aeon: This place has granted you self-awareness. Surely there is something you wish to know.
Golem: Why... why me live?

Golem: Me leave here? Me... lose thinking?
Aeon: Ah, so you've realized... Yes, when you leave this place you will lose your self-awareness.
Golem: Human fear me. Me no like it.
Aeon: Yet if this place is not erased, all beings, everywhere, will disappear. Forever.
Golem: ...Me afraid to be gone. But me more afraid all human be gone...
Aeon: Which leads to our final dilemma... The door will allow only a single being to enter.
Golem: Me fight for human. That what human do.
Aeon: I see. Then we will begin the final trial.

They are certainly worth noting, though I'm still not quite sure how the latter would be reconciled with the Time Reaper explicitly having to travel back into a certain period of time in order to destroy it. If anything, the former would just scale to Aeon and whoever is above him.

The other batch of feats comes from the same duology of games, namely the one composed of Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow, and are of the same nature to boot: In Aria of Sorrow, Soma Cruz faces an entity known as Chaos, whom the game identifies as "the root of all chaotic things" and as the embodiment and source of the evil within the hearts of humans, which acts as a perfect counter to the goodness of God and utilizes the figure of the Dark Lord as a conduit for its power in the material realm.

On his way to the entity proper, Soma first goes through the final stretch of the game: The Chaotic Realm, which is an area shaped like a mishmash of the previous dungeons, all surrounded by an outer space-like location with a bunch of galaxies and stars spinning around. Obviously, as the root of all chaotic things, Chaos is closely linked to its realm, and after Soma defeats it, the place vanishes alongside Dracula's Castle, leaving only a white void behind.

In Dawn of Sorrow, meanwhile, the feat in question happens after Soma defeats a demon called Menace, who was born as an amalgamation of all the souls of the Abyss (The netherworld which Dracula rules over) which the main villain, Dmitri Blinov, absorbed in order to try and take Dracula's position as the Dark Lord. After its death, all of the souls are released, and the Abyss collapses entirely. The same thing happens in Julius Mode, where, after being defeated, Dark Lord Soma collapses the Abyss too.

This being relevant because the Abyss, as previously established, consists of 6 separate areas, one of which is filled to the brim with galaxies, and others which should be comparable in size.

If you look at those feats, it doesn't take too much brainpower to realize that they clearly don't involve spacetime collapsing, and likewise there is no evidence of that, either, explicit or even implicit. As such, at face value they would be 3-A, or 3-B if you feel like being conservative, though given how Yoko Belnades and Alucard both refer to the Abyss as "the dark side," with the implication being that the human world is its reverse (Logically fits, too, since it is the realm governed by the entity opposite to God, the Dark Lord), it's probably not too much of a stretch to say it's indeed a full universe:

Yoko Belnades: You did it!
Soma Cruz: Using Magic Seals is a piece of cake.
Yoko Belnades: Don't be too sure. That Magic Seal won't be useful forever.
Soma Cruz: What do you mean?
Yoko Belnades: They will probably prepare new and more complex patterns for Magic Seals.
Soma Cruz: Hmm...
Yoko Belnades: But not to worry. They'll have the Magic Seal patterns hidden somewhere. If they don't, the gates to the dark side will be useless.

Soma Cruz: Arikado, where do you think they've gone?
Genya Arikado: I imagine that they've gone to the basement of the tower next to the castle. A foul, unearthly energy emanates from there. There must be a portal to the dark side that fuels the castle's existence.

But there is more to the Abyss itself than those backgrounds, too. For reference, here's a statement from the light novel, ''Reminiscence of the Divine Abyss'':

Those creatures living in Dracula’s castle is not just the lord of the castle, Dracula.
Michelle had promised herself to use Julius’, Yoko’s and other predecessors’ quest records as a source of information to improve her knowledge on those things.
As a start, the castle has an infinite supply of zombies and drawn by the castle’s magic, numerous other monsters appeared, perhaps their existence is allowed by a part of the magic that governs the original Dracula’s castle.
Perhaps, people who sought to resurrect Dracula had called upon those countless monsters.

So, basically, Dracula's Castle has an infinite supply of zombies and similar monsters that serve as the Dark Lord's legions, all of which are sustained by his own magic and exist under his full command due to the Power of Dominance (Explained in more detail on his profile), which assures they all remain a part of his magic, body and soul.

Their founder was born on the time that Dracula died and had received a degree of [power]. That was the man named Graham Jones. He had a charisma that attracted people and was practicing real magic.

He as the real dark lord and ----- also as a [fallen] human----- sought to create a paradise [Genesis] which was blindly believed to be possible. And that blind belief still continued on unchanged even after their founder died. It was just their story.

“Dracula’s castle, in other words is the embodiment of Dracula’s magic, a part of his soul and body, their belief in them being [fallen] and a part of [Genesis}.”
“……”

And as Dawn of Sorrow establishes, the Abyss itself is the region in which the souls of all these monsters normally exist, and out of which Dracula summons them into the human realm alongside the Castle itself, owing to its classification as the Demon World. Indeed, it's the source of the Castle's own existence and what fuels its magic to begin with.

So, it logically follows that, to contain infinite souls, the Abyss would itself have to be infinite. These souls themselves seem to play a role in sustaining the place, as well, since as seen above, once they are expelled from Dmitri and rejected by Soma, the Abyss starts crumbling. Furthermore, briefly after he absorbs the Abyss' souls, Dmitri starts to rapidly succumb to them, and Alucard explains that this is because his own spirit is not strong enough to contain so much power. In the end, they tear open his body and fuse into Menace.

Dmitrii Blinov: Th-This cannot be... My dominance should be complete!
Genya Arikado: So that's what's happening...
Soma Cruz: Arikado, what's going on?
Genya Arikado: The power of dominance isn't easily contained. He isn't like you. His soul can't withstand a power that intense.
Dmitrii Blinov: Liar!! I've heard enough from you!
(Dmitrii casts Arikado out of the Abyss with a spell)
Genya Arikado: Gwoh!
Soma Cruz: Arikado!
Dmitrii Blinov: I am the chosen one! I am the dark lord! I shall not succumb to the power! Wroooooooaaaah!
(Dmitrii becomes unstable)
Soma Cruz: It's useless. You can't control it.
Dmitrii Blinov: Gwroaaah!

Taking all of that into account, sustaining the Abyss and, for the matter, even being a Dark Lord at all is a High 3-A feat, and shouldn't really be considered Low 2-C on its own, for the reasons I outlined up there. Though scaling may affect the latter.

Another, more ambiguous feat that the current profiles seem to consider as valid happens in the aforementioned light novel, ''Reminiscence of the Divine Abyss'', where Count Olrox, a vampire under Dracula's command, takes the opportunity to fill in the power vacuum left by his master's absence and summons his own Demon Castle into the world. However, due to certain circumstances Olrox wasn't able to invoke Dracula's true castle, and instead summoned just his legions in a soulless state, powered only by magic, so their bodies could serve as material for the castle's construction.

“……”
“……Then, they waited. Once they arrived at the land called Wallachia, a partial solar eclipse happened.”
“Since……the moon did not completely eat the sun, calling forth the castle should not have been possible.”
“Yes. That is why, instead of calling the castle----- from the partial shadow of the solar eclipse, they called forth a massive amount of monsters……

“Slogra, Gaibon, what happened……”
He showed himself in front of his subordinates, planning on doing some questioning but-----
Death immediately noticed something odd from the 2 monsters.
Their bodies are certainly theirs, but, inside them is just distorted magic and he could not feel their souls.
Moving by magic, these monsters resembled dolls----- That was the impression that Death got.

If we take this to mean that Olrox constructed a Castle comprised of an infinite number of corpses, then this would be another High 3-A feat, since not only was the place's own existence sustained by Olrox, but he was also able to disperse his magical power throughout it to hide its true form. Once he decides to fight at full power, he reunites all that energy back into himself.

“interesting…… So, death really exists! Thus I’ll use all my power…… to shatter that thing called [death].”

At the next moment-----something unusual happened to the entire castle.
The castle’s interiors which were ought to maintain their current magnificent form, gradually showed their true form.
Starting with the gorgeous paintings and furniture, the marble and stone patterns disappeared.
A hard layer of numerous corpses formed from the bottom created a building that is a symbol of chaos and madness.
The [castle’s] true form was hidden by Olrox’s magic-----
Those summoned monster corpses deprived of magic, together with the human corpses of Graham Jones’ followers, created that structure-----
The castle became one very large Legion.

“This is …… the castle’s true form…… !?”
Noticing herself standing on top of millions of corpses, Michelle unconsciously knitted her brows.
All of the magic that Olrox used returned to him and that incomparable magic entered his body.
A thick vortex of magic surrounded his body. A portion of the corpses detached from the floor and one after the other integrated in front of Olrox.

I am a bit skeptical on the second one, but these two feats, at least, can serve as replacements for the Low 2-C high-end if it's not deemed as acceptable. Though Aeon's statement in particular is very direct, so, I doubt it will.

TL;DR

• Dracula's 4-A justification should be rewritten to remove the Dracula X Chronicles feat.
  • The Time Reaper was not going to destroy the entire timeline, just a part of it, and so the profile should be edited to correct that, though whether or not the feat remains Low 2-C is something worth discussing.
  • Sustaining the Abyss is not a Low 2-C feat, and shouldn't be treated as such in the profiles. Same goes for the Chaotic Realm.

Last edited:
Agreed, yeah. Personally I think destroying the 1000 years is still Low 2-C, considering destroying any part of time at all is destroying uncountably infinite snapshots of 3-D reality (aka, 4-D). Making it only count if they destroy the entire timeline is quite arbitrary, if you ask me.

Also, y'know, Aeon's feat.

about the time rift the manual to the game says this:

unknown.png

1. I agree with reworking Dracula's 4-A justification if the current justification isn't reliable. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. I'm neutral on the Low 2-C stuff. Possibly replacing it with High 3-A seems fine to me though if there are no arguments against it.

3. Neutral on the Abyss stuff.

as for the infinite corpses, couldnt it mean the following:

This does not say the castle holds an infinite amount of monsters within it, just that it has an effectively unlimited supply of them. All this means is that the rate of "zombie production" equals or exceeds the rate at which zombies are killed.

Yeah, the black hole example is honestly vague, though I do recall the "19 dimensions" Dracula created in Dawn of Sorrow had evidence of having galaxies in them not just starry skies. So the remaining 4-A feats appear to be 3-B based on what I was shown offsite.

Yeah, as Crimson Star Fallen said, a timeline regardless of size still contains an uncountable infinity number of snapshots similar to how a finite sized line still contains an uncountable infinite number of periods. Though, the size of an entire space-time continuum often varies and being 6 billion or only 6000 thousand years old still make destroying an entire one Low 2-C. Though policies are a bit weird, but completely merging 2 or more timelines even for brief periods even if it's for like 5 seconds still counts as 2-C. So I'm more or less thinking their is still a Low 2-C feat, but agree the stabilization example is weird. And I do not think the Abyss feat is Low 2-C. And even High 3-A sounds rather vague, but I did see a lot of explanations for why.

Last edited:
as for the infinite corpses, couldnt it mean the following:
Could, yeah, but it wouldn't change much, save for making Olrox's feat a bit vaguer, since Dracula doesn't create his monsters out of nothing, he just summons them from the Abyss. And each monster has an individual soul, too, since you can get multiple souls from respawned monsters in both Aria and Dawn of Sorrow (It's a mechanic in the latter game, even, where Soma can collect copies of the same soul to boost the effectiveness of its corresponding ability.)

Last edited:
Not the most knowledgeable on Judgement but wasn't the whole premise that the characters from different timelines were being sent to that one dimension? Including characters from an alternate continuity? Kid dracula being one of those alternate continuities and galamoth being there? It wouldn't exactly fall apart in his plan is he tried to erase one of those timelines he's not a part of where dracula's from to take over if he's not from that timeline to begin with. I'm fine with the dracula 4-A thing being removed until I manage to get through the series myself and find more evidence, and neutral on the High 3-A stuff.

I definitely agree with the 4-A thing being too vague to be used by itself.
I'm neutral on the rest for now.

Not the most knowledgeable on Judgement but wasn't the whole premise that the characters from different timelines were being sent to that one dimension? Including characters from an alternate continuity? Kid dracula being one of those alternate continuities and galamoth being there? It wouldn't exactly fall apart in his plan is he tried to erase one of those timelines he's not a part of where dracula's from to take over if he's not from that timeline to begin with.
Galamoth hails from the same timeline as Dracula, just way into the future, hence why he explicitly sent the Time Reaper back in time to destroy Dracula's era.

I'm fine with the dracula 4-A thing being removed until I manage to get through the series myself and find more evidence
Well, to clarify, Dracula's 4-A rating probably isn't getting removed outright, just that feat in specific. Brauner's portrait dimensions are still fine to use.

I brought up above, that the remaining "4-A feats" actually look more like 3-B with further evaluation. The Dawn of Sorrow parallel dimensions I mean. But it's just the "Black hole that engulfs countless stars" is the specific feat that is too vague and is getting removed.

Not only they may be 3-B, but they are also unnecessary in my opinion, the Low 2-C feats already scale to people like Dracula and Belmonts, I never saw a reason to keep that on their profile. Aeon and Time Reaper profiles are straight Low 2-C and Dracula's profile already says he scales above them.

I agree that thanks to recent revisions, some of the feats are now Environmental Destruction or simply not real feats, but the series still has some Low 2-Cs as the OP said, and I do agree with erasing Castlevania's "Timeline" being at that level. I also fully agree with the High 3-A feats

I brought up above, that the remaining "4-A feats" actually look more like 3-B with further evaluation. The Dawn of Sorrow parallel dimensions I mean. But it's just the "Black hole that engulfs countless stars" is the specific feat that is too vague and is getting removed.
Dawn of Sorrow is what is currently used to support Low 2-C. The 4-A tier comes largely from the pocket dimensions that Brauner created in Portrait of Ruin, which are a different thing entirely.

Doesn't the Puppetmaster boss have a description that says it controls dimensions? I remember that when i played Dawn of Sorrow

Huh. Been intending to bump this for a while.

Doesn't the Puppetmaster boss have a description that says it controls dimensions? I remember that when i played Dawn of Sorrow
Yeah, but the statement itself is fairly vague, I believe. Here it is, for the matter:

The cursed king of dolls. It controls dolls and the dimensions

In any case, since no one seems to have much further opinions in here, I assume I can at least remove Dracula's "black hole" feat from the profile?

Huh. Been intending to bump this for a while.

Yeah, but the statement itself is fairly vague, I believe. Here it is, for the matter:

The cursed king of dolls. It controls dolls and the dimensions
I played the game in german and it said "spatial dimension" iirc, even if it's nothing it would be nice if someone got the japanese descriptions. Also want to iterate that i know foreign translations aren't canonical, am just curious of the original japanese version nothing more

Last edited:
Agreed, yeah. Personally I think destroying the 1000 years is still Low 2-C, considering destroying any part of time at all is destroying uncountably infinite snapshots of 3-D reality (aka, 4-D). Making it only count if they destroy the entire timeline is quite arbitrary, if you ask me.

Also, y'know, Aeon's feat.
^This but now with staff powers backing it up.

Bump.

Thank you for the reply. Let's wait a bit to see if Ultima responds as well.

What are the conclusions here so far?

i do not know much about castlevania, but the egyptian lady from PoR can charm any male hero in that castlevania crossover game regardless of divine protection, including richter.

So either she should have a higher degree of emotional/mind manipulation or all male heroes of castlevania should have their resistance to mind manip removed.

i do not know much about castlevania, but the egyptian lady from PoR can charm any male hero in that castlevania crossover game regardless of divine protection, including richter.

So either she should have a higher degree of emotional/mind manipulation or all male heroes of castlevania should have their resistance to mind manip removed.
Probably the former really, that's how it's usually handled

What are the conclusions here so far, and what do we still need to discuss and evaluate?

Also:

@Ultima_Reality

We still seem to need your input here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back