• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Canute (Vinland Saga) Downgrade.

So. Canute's 9-B lacks justifying feats in every way.

I don't see how him killing Askeladd makes him 9-B when Askeladd wasn't even trying to defend himself, not to mention that Canute literally never fought back then nor had any battle experience, so using a "feat" of a non experienced Canute doesn't even make sense. Thorgil who is like Askeladd, 9-B, made quick process with a older, actually experienced Canute where one blow against his sword sprained Canute's wrist. Here was my personal downgrade which'd suit Canute which was revised tho. Bjor is without his Berserker rage also At least 9-C, but I can't see Canute taking him on in any way. At best, him dodging Thorfinn's slash and reacting to Thorgil once would tell us his Reaction Speed. Canute has otherwise no said feats where you could put him in any way near Thorfinn, Askeladd, Garm, Thorgil or Bjorn.

Characters cannot normally "lower their durability" since it is their default natural body strength, and Askeladd was bloodlusted at the time. Wall level is a huge category, so stopping a wall buster's attack with injury can still make him wall level (and I'm pretty sure base bjorn should be wall level)

Cropfist said:
Characters cannot normally "lower their durability" since it is their default natural body strength, and Askeladd was bloodlusted at the time.
Askeladd was busy fighting Floki and put all his strength to overwhelm him, putting himself open. Askeladd's plan was literally for Canute to become the hero who kills the murderer (Askeladd) of the King (Canute's father who was playing a war campaign against Wales, Askeladd's hometown). Canute simply hit a vital spot when stabbing Askeladd, that's it. Canute literally never fought in his life up to this point, so using this as a feat is ridiculous.

Cropfist said:
Wall level is a huge category, so stopping a wall buster's attack with injury can still make him wall level
I can assure you Canute would die if one swing of Thorgil hit him. Thorgil is the same guy who can completely massacre several men by himself. Thorgil wasn't even serious against Canute.

Cropfist said:
and I'm pretty sure base bjorn should be wall level)
Don't see why he would be. He is 9-B with his Berserker rage, but has no feats without it, as far as I know.

Focusing on something does not make his muscles instantly weaken to the point where they are an entire tier (tens of times) below normal. In addition, Askeladd wears body armor canute would have had to pierce, and skill is seperate from strength.

But Thorgil did hit him, and he survived...and he survived with minor injury. same with when he survived Thorfinn hit him

Askeladd would have only been able to instakill Bjorn by hitting a specific spot, and he should not logically be massively weaker than the other warriors as such a high-ranking one.

Askeladd was getting old as he himself stated, he was busy fighting the Vikings, clashed with Floki and let himself open for Canute to stab him. Canute also seemingly stabbed him near the heart. And we don't know if he wore his body armor underneath at that point anymore, as he changed clothes. Thorkell was also whopping Thorfinn's ass in their first fight and then lost two fingers when not paying attention.

Thorgil hit his sword which sprained Canute's wrist, not Canute himself. And Thorfinn only slashed Canute's cheek. You wanna tell me Canute's Durability is better than Thorkell's?

We don't know how a Askeladd vs healthy Bjorn would look like. Bjorn has simply no feats without his Berserker rage. All the other 9-B's are simply casually shown to be on another level.

This feat happened not very long after Askeladd casually bisected a helmeted viking with 1 sword swing, and his state of mind would be assumed to have his who body at its max. effort.

If Canute was street level the strike would have broken his arm completely. it's a sizeable gap. i dunno, but thorfinn certainly scales in a degree to thorkell

That was nowhere casually, Askeladd was literally enraged when doing it.

That's why he is at least Street level. Not to mention that there's no way to tell if Thorgil was serious, the fight was over quick. Canute has show nothing that'd prove that he's even ABLE to kill several men himself, not to mention as casually as Thorgil can rip them to shreds.

Thorfinn is a bad matchup for Thorkell, been stated several times, didn't stop Thorkell from dominating both fights. Thorkell was also fighting at the same speed as Garm when they fought, who blitzed Thorfinn.

Conclusion is Canute staying as at least 9-C due fo lack of feats. I'll gladly update his profile once he gets another fight w/ feats which make him 9-B. The Manga's still gonna be ongoing for some time after all.

If he was that enraged he would not have joked about/shrugged it off immediately afterward.

I do not understand this point here, his feat is killing askeladd not several men. Thorfinn's own feats aren't very extreme either in comparison but he is still wall becuase of power-scaling.

This does not change that Thorfinn stunned him with a kick, gouged his eye out with his fingers, landed injuries on him numerous times and survived one of thorkell's direct hits that sent him flying.

Even if, he cannot stay 9-C either because he really lacks any 9-C feats

He said that he lost control for a bit and was angry, meaning he was enraged which isn't his usual self, so it's definitely not something he did casually.

Canute never fought before "killing" Askeladd, that's why that "feat" is ridiculous to use. You're comparing a spoiled kid with no battle experience with a 40+ y/o experienced viking, Canute killed him because he hit a vital spot and Askeladd wanted it to happen.

What's your point here? Already told you that it's been said numerous of times that Thorfinn's a bad matchup for Thorkell, Thorkell lost balance when Thorfinn kicked him in the back of his knee, gouged his eye out after Askeladd intervened in the fight by reflecting light on Thorkell's face, landed scratches on Thorkell due to his size and speed advantage and Thorkell's kick didn't hit Thorfinn directly cuz he did bounce off his kick to brace against the impact.

Canute lacks feats in general. That's why his profile is kinda unnecessary atm. Dunno if he'll get another fight before the manga ends.

You should ask a few discussion moderators to comment here.

There's no indication in Vinland Saga that people can just deflect a sword through sheer force of swoleness. Shrug off a hell of a lot of injuries, sure, but not no-sell sharpened steel just because the guy getting stabbed is more muscular. Trying to pass off Canute as some wall-level physical powerhouse for putting a sword through a human being who isn't fighting back is just disingenuous.

Back