• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Canonicity for Zelda's Manga

The Interview

Full interview for interested

"In working with Nintendo to adapt The Legend of Zelda, has the process changed over time? What freedom are you given to make original material, and has Nintendo loosened up or have they tightened over the years?"

"So the first time we submitted a draft for Ocarina of Time, it was 16 detailed pages, packed full of red marks, change this and this and this. It was like totally torn up. They were very controlling. But then when we returned it with all the revisions that they wanted, from the second series on, there was almost no complaints. So after that first round, they have been very quiet and given us freedom to do all we want. So we think they must be happy with what we're translating to manga. Before we started adapting this story, we were used to just doing whatever we want, we had the freedom to just go for it. So it's like we turned from that to real detailed nitpicking to freedom again to create what we want with Zelda as well. Mr. Aonuma is in charge, and he keeps saying, "You've got freedom, you have total control." However, his assistants and others will come back and say, "well I think you need to change this here and there," so we can't just publish our ideas 100% after all. That's for writing, however, when it comes to artwork, we've never had complaints from them."

Summary: Nintendo checks the the story, and they were very controlling. Later they started to complain less, even though, according to the author(s), that's probably because Nintendo was happy with how they were dealing with the manga. They also can't publish anything without Nintendo's approval.

Also it should be noted that the mangas have Nintendo's official seal.

Grade of Canonicity
This obviously puts them under the games, the primary canon, but also under books (HH and HE) and manuals written by Nintendo, which would make them tertiary Canon. So no Low 2-C Majora, HE's statement contradicts that. I have yet to check other possible changes, which is why this is general discussion and not content revision. Should also be noted that this applies only to Akira's mangas, not all of them.

Basically what I'm asking is approval to use Akira's mangas in future CRTs, as long as they don't contradict games and books.

I agree.

Another interview also confirm this, and I'll post it if the reasons of the thread aren't enough.

Maybe you should ask knowledge people to give their opinion on the thread.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this yet.

@Yuri can you post the interview you mentioned, I would like to read that first before coming to a conclusion.

There's this:

"So there was never any kind of conflict with Nintendo or the kind of stories they were telling in the games?"

"We actually don't expand on the world of Hyrule more than the game does. We use it just as-is and rather focus on the drama and develop that, because we have two different modes: games and manga. There are places where the manga has to fill in the gaps because of the drama, but in doing this Nintendo has always approved and appreciated where we've filled in. When we came out with the first book, [Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto at Nintendo] came to us and said, "Thank you for filling in and expanding and drawing out those parts that are necessary in the manga and not there in the game." From BleedingCool. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/1...ldas-manga-an-interview-with-akira-himekawa/I

Interviewbon
I only have a french version of the interview, sorry for this.
The end of the first paragraph says: "My publisher called us asking us if we were interested in adapting The Legend of Zelda to manga [...]"

The second paragraph says, "Before this adaptation, I remember we had a meeting with Shiguru Miyamoto [...]" and "The advice Nintendo gave us was very helpful. [...]"

Basically, the interview says that it was Nintendo who asked for the creation of the mangas, and that he participated in the project (as the interview of the thread also says).

Hmm. Nintendo personally asking for a Zelda manga to be made along with giving input on it, and Miyamoto thanking them specifically for "filling in and expanding" on the drama that was already in the games is interesting. I'll remain neutral for now.

If the manga was tertiary canon (I'm not giving my input on whether or not it is due to past controversies involving me and Zelda), everything I said about the Sacred Realm is true...or at least to a 4-A level.

If the manga is secondary/tertiary canon, 3-A/Low 2-C Triforce will become true.

Also few powers will be add to Majora (no, not the monster), Link(s) and maybe Ganondorf.

The real cal howard said:
If the manga was tertiary canon (I'm not giving my input on whether or not it is due to past controversies involving me and Zelda), everything I said about the Sacred Realm is true...or at least to a 4-A level.
I think you're referring to Ishinomori's manga, and that's still not canon.

And I also couldn't find anywhere the statement about the Twilight Realm/Dark world being universes. Most likely this would just add some abilities to characters.

Didn't the Hero's Shade had a pockrt dimension with a bunch of stars in the manga? I believe it's the same as with the wolf dimensiom thingy in the game, but in the manga he states that is his realm. As opposed to the game that left it vague.

Edit: I don't think it would scale to anyone (other than the complete triforce), but still. It would be a nice upgrade to him.

Which manga is this, if it's not Ishinomori?

Also, the manga I can safely say is completely canon is the Skyward Sword prequel manga that was in the Hyrule Historia.

Oh, nah lol. I meant who were the creators of the manga. I found out by...actually clicking the links in the OP lol

TriforcePower1 said:
And I also couldn't find anywhere the statement about the Twilight Realm/Dark world being universes. Most likely this would just add some abilities to characters.
A friend of me shown me the first chapter said universes. I also have a traduction in a other langage which said universe.

Well, having Nintendo's official seal doesn't automatically make it canon, but the interview does seem legit. Also, I agree that Hyrule, Dark World/Sacred Realm should both be comparable in size as well as much larger than just 1 AU in radius. I'm neutral to positive on this though.

A friend of me shown me the first chapter said universes. I also have a traduction in a other langage which said universe.

Can you post it here or in my wall? Don't worry, I can read French.

Currently, what I found in the TP manga is 6-B cursed Midna and Mid regen for hero's shade (and Composite Link)

TriforcePower1 said:
Currently, what I found in the TP manga is 6-B cursed Midna and Mid regen for hero's shade (and Composite Link)
Hero's Shade also have BFR Link's previous city (and Link's soul, like in Lephyr's scans).

Link have precognition trough dreams and likely resurrection + Regenerationn via the Triforce of Wisdom (or maybe it's the light spirit).

Crepuscule cause plant to die and Xanto sbires have mind manipulation.

Zelda is good with a sword.

Midna, Xanto, and all Crepuscule being have resistance to poison.

It's actually all others feats of the TP Manga. The 6-B is because of Midna one-shotting Wolf Link and the Monkey?

By the way, we should make an other thread if the secondary/tiertiary canon are definitely accepted.

TriforcePower1 said:
The Hero's Shade stated that the Ghostly Ether is his realm, which is a 4-A realm.

The Hero's Shade stated that the Ghostly Ether is his realm, which is a 4-A realm.

I still can't see stars there though. Also, even if there were, it would be an outlier (despite me hating this word).

6-B is for harming wolf Link, oneshotting the miniboss monkey and being superior to Gorons, who are 6-B via being comparable to Hyrule soldiers who are 6-B because read Cal's wall because I'm too lazy to post them here as well.

LephyrTheRevanchist said:
TriforcePower1 said:
If Vaati was said to be an outlier (even if they're no reasons for this...), I don't think Hero's Shade will become 4-A (I also don't remember any stars in the Ghostly Ether).

Why an outlier? It only scales to the Triforce. He literally has nothing aside from training Link, which doesn't mean much.

Vaati was not an outlier. They got to the conclusion that the stars weren't legit, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Here.

Back