• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Canon Game Mechanics

So I've noticed certain games have scaling and Abilities that specifically coincide with in game abilities or stats. Im wondering about how it is decided if a game mechanic is canon. Is there some sort of set scale that differentiateshe the two, or is it a case by case basis? If there is no bar, allow me to suggest one : franchises that have theIrma game mechanics directly associated with the plot and/or shown out side of the gamending should be canon. For example, Undertales game mechanics are canon because they directly correlate with its plot of DETERMINATION, and Bakugan's are as well due to being the dimensional constraits of there power, allowing the game to become representative of it, and the fact that we know G-power is used out side of the game. Yugioh's, by contrast, have not shown the same application in a non duel battle, and therefore is not canon.

They are canon when they are directly referenced in the series usually

For example, SAVE and LOAD are canon for UT.

While saving and loading isn't canon for something like Pokemon Platinum

It's canon if the characters in the game refer to the stats as being actually things that exist (such as with Undertale, where you being able to create save files, load to previous points in those save files, and being able to delete them is an important part of the games plot). If the characters only bring them up in a tutorial and never mention them again then it won't qualify since the tutorial exists to ease the player into the game. Generally it's a case by case basis but what you suggested is what we typically do here anyway.

I also notice in games like Battletoads, they actually do call you out for using cheat codes or game genie.

@Ant

I dunno. Something like "Game mechanics should never be considered canon unless directly referenced by the plot" is the idea, but idk about the wording

@Kaltias

I think that seems fine as a possible footnote in the page.

What about these cases when a character is inmune to all forms of damage? For example, in games such as Destiny, Warframe or Call of Duty there a moments where the enemy doesn't receive damage unless the player attacks to the weak points or accomplish a series of steps.

For example, in Call of Duty BO3, Margwas are inmune to all forms of damage including explosives, the only way to defeat them is by shoting them in their mouths.

Another example are the Kuva Guardians from Warframe, they are inmune to all forms of damage and the only way to beat them is by removing their Kuva infused Kesheg

The exact nature of Kuva is a mystery yet to be revealed. It is mentioned by Teshin that the Kuva Guardians'weapon, Kesheg, is imbued with Kuva which supposedly makes them immune to Warframe powers. This is also alluded to in the braids surrounding the Queens' throne: they are immune to all attacks except for the Operator's Void Beam, suggesting they were also made with Kuva.

According to the wiki they are inmune to Warframe powers, but the question is, does this mean that even, stronger characters such as Vegito or Thanos with the Power Stone can't defeat them?

@NextGen that sounds like NLF, especially if they best weapons they ever tanked are like 9-A.

Should we add the following note to the Game Mechanics page?

"Game mechanics should never be considered canon unless directly referenced by the plot."

@Ant where's the spin-off page because I seriously doubt the Pokemon series, LGPE is getting a lot of hates in the Pokemon community, so spin-off page might be necessary to add in vsbattle to explain which is canon and what not, it'd be good to clear misunderstandings for implied canon of the verse, it's just my suggestion. :^)

I do not know. It is not my area.

We should preferably focus on the game mechanics question here.

Antvasima said:
Should we add the following note to the Game Mechanics page?

"Game mechanics should never be considered canon unless directly referenced by the plot."
Speaking of which.

I suppose that might be an idea.

What do other staff members think?

But how about the gamemechanics of any sandbox games?

How do guys you'd deal with gamemechanics canon on the sandbox games?

Either it's being the Player or it's a game character. (Terraria for example)

Back