• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Can genjutsu work on inanimate beings?

That was only sound-based and light-based genjutsu by kabuto even the IT didn't work on the edo hokage
Kotoamatsukami did as well
IT Didn't work because it was a technique for gathering energy and creating Zetsu. The Edo Hokage could not be turned into zetsu.
There is no reason normal genjutsu would not work on Edo Tenseis.

do you wanna know if genjutsu works on Gowther?
No, I want to know if genjutsu can work on inanimate beings. Because a robot for example has no organic brain and no pain receptors and emotions to manipulate. For edos they still have their soul so it could work on them.

No, I want to know if genjutsu can work on inanimate beings. Because a robot for example has no organic brain and no pain receptors and emotions to manipulate. For edos they still have their soul so it could work on them.
probably not a robot,

Genjutsu works by manipulating something's inner energy (Chakra/Ki/Whatever). If something lacks that inner energy there's nothing for them to manipulate.

Ultron for example, would be immune to genjutsu. As it doesn't have a chakra equivalent nor the ability to store a chakra equivalent for Sharingan Genjutsu.

Not having a normal brain = / not having one all together.

He thinks the OP is asking if it would effect shit that actually lack a brain or a mind so no, Genjutsu would fail against that.
By not a normal brain I mean they are fully made out of a paper substance so they have no "brain" in a conventional sense

By not a normal brain I mean they are fully made out of a paper substance so they have no "brain" in a conventional sense
Yeah in a conventional sense, but if the brain doesn't exist all together then it wouldn't affect anything.

For instance, even IT wouldn't affect a Golem that lacks a brain all together or a random piece of rock on the ground.

Yeah in a conventional sense, but if the brain doesn't exist all together then it wouldn't affect anything.

For instance, even IT wouldn't affect a Golem that lacks a brain all together or a random piece of rock on the ground.
They don't have a brain that is what I was saying. They have no reason to have a brain when their head is filled with the exact same material as the rest of their bodies
Also Genjutsuing a rock wouldn't do anything as it is a rock

It isn't just chakra. Genjutsu needing chakra has been debunked in verse
Our assumption on that was changed in the Genjutsu CRT. You need chakra/inner energy or have the needed organ that would allow for chakra to exist.
Genjutsu should work as long as one of two criteria are met, the person in question has senses tied to a Physical body or is made out of energy that can be equalized to chakra, of course, how effective the genjutsu is will entirely rely on a case to case basis, either the specific genjutsu, the person performing the ability and how it matches with other verse mechanics. however, the bigger point here is that not having chakra or a chakra pathway system does not give you Inherent resistance to Genjutsu.

The bigger point here is that not having chakra or a chakra pathway system does not give you Inherent resistance to Genjutsu.
But you didn't read the very first sentence
Genjutsu should work as long as one of two criteria are met, the person in question has senses tied to a Physical body or is made out of energy that can be equalized to chakra
The zombies meet the first criteria.

Yes so would a doll or a golem which is the point of this thread
That falls into the case by case situation. D&D golems or the statue of Rhodes from GoW for example have no reliance on physical senses, they just detect things. Chakra wouldn't work on them. Other golems would be effected because they rely on those senses.

That falls into the case by case situation. D&D golems or the statue of Rhodes from GoW for example have no reliance on physical senses, they just detect things. Chakra wouldn't work on them. Other golems would be effected because they rely on those senses.
Yes unless stated otherwise. Under most circumstances it would work which is the point of this thread (since most depictions of golems use the basic five senses)

I get what you mean now.

So yeah OP. If the Golem relies on its senses and doesn't have mental resistances then Genjutsu would work. If they don't rely on that, like say the Helmed Horror, Genjutsu wouldn't be able to effect them as there's nothing to target.

Genjutsu works by manipulating something's inner energy (Chakra/Ki/Whatever). If something lacks that inner energy there's nothing for them to manipulate.

Ultron for example, would be immune to genjutsu. As it doesn't have a chakra equivalent nor the ability to store a chakra equivalent for Sharingan Genjutsu.
Weird how genjutsu worked on normal humans without chakra

Weird how genjutsu worked on normal humans without chakra
To my knowledge it's sort of inconsistent if non-shinobi have chakrw or not, but even if they don't my second statement clarified that Ultron lacks the ability to store chakra injected into it anyways.

Plus you know, TP resistance.

Back