• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cal's Basics in Downgrading and Nerfs

I meant one that didn't require the insane intellectual or versatility differences of the likes of Composite Human for a 9-C to overcome. :p But yeah.

Also look at this:

Baldi-render
Notice here that it's actually a ruler Baldi is holding, due to how it's only 12 inches long?

Baldiheight
Taken from the Baldipedia

167 / 72 = 2.32 feet.

Baldi is 2.32 feet tall.

And the ruler is only 30 cm long. Guess his range gets a small nerf. Maybe a skilled medieval knight with a longsword could take him down?

It's mostly just recreational. We'd probably need a lot more evidence to suggest that the entire verse is just super small. Poor quality is kind of the intention in the Baldiverse, so of course a lot of things aren't going to be up to scale.

DMUA said:
Too durable for that I think.
He's not so much more durable than baseline 9-B, so a piercing and thrusting weapon can stand a chance or cause enough damage to kill if it hits a sufficiently weak spot (neck?).

I don't have a problem with Baldi's speed or stamina, and the durability upgrade seems fine. The problem I DO have though is his attack potency. Do we really know that he kills the player when he catches them? This is a problem that I have with the game in general; people assuming he kills the player. How do we know he's not just gonna smack their knuckles with his ruler to punish them for the questions they got wrong? That seems more realistic than a teacher killing a student for the same reason. A ruler does not really seem like a good weapon for killing anyway. Okay, I know Chucky did it, but still. I know you get a game over if he catches you, but lots of games have game overs that don't involve the character dying. I suppose you could argue he would still need the AP to even be able to hurt the player given their own durability, but does being fine after being slammed into a wall really mean they can't feel pain from having their fingers smacked? I mean, plenty of wall level plus characters can still feel pain from lesser things. Heck, Batman in any continuity as far as I know is at least above wall level, but simple knives or guns could still put him down as Bruce Wayne if he was hit without wearing his suit.

It's not like he intends to just yell at them with the way he holds his ruler either.

Wall and above characters getting hurt by street level weapons is PIS.

Of course he's going to hurt them with the ruler, but do we really know he's going to kill them with it? Isn't hitting a child with a ruler an old method of disipline at schools (obviously they don't do it anymore though)?

I don't think that's a right way to use the term PIS either. That actually seems to be a very misused term even on this site. PIS should be when a character gets defeated because of them being uncharacteristicly stupid or not using powers that they could or should have. The term you are looking for is outlier

Damaging them at all would still be a wall level feat.

CIS is closer towhen a character gets defeated because of them being uncharacteristicly stupid or not using powers that they could or should have. PIS is when characters are threatened by things they really shouldn't be to give the plot spice, like building level Batman being hurt by street level knives so he doesn't god-mode his way through all of his enemies.

Alright, acceptable. Although, from what you are telling me, PIS and outliers must be very common in fiction, since there are countless examples of characters with wall level or above durability feeling pain from something like a common knife.

I have to ask, if batman is at building level in durability, does that mean that realistically, if Bruce Wayne were to be shot with a sniper rifle, the bullet shouldn't penetrate him? That does not seem like something I could imagine him shrugging off like that. Of course, since when has fiction been realistic? Outliers and questions like this are probably why so many people want to stay out of the vs community. Lacks of consistency are probably real problems when determining these sort of things.

Cropfist said:
Damaging them at all would still be a wall level feat.

CIS is closer towhen a character gets defeated because of them being uncharacteristicly stupid or not using powers that they could or should have.
Except CIS is character induced stupidity, IE their character screwing them over.

Frieza force soldier 100 said:
I don't have a problem with Baldi's speed or stamina, and the durability upgrade seems fine. The problem I DO have though is his attack potency. Do we really know that he kills the player when he catches them? This is a problem that I have with the game in general; people assuming he kills the player. How do we know he's not just gonna smack their knuckles with his ruler to punish them for the questions they got wrong? (1) That seems more realistic than a teacher killing a student for the same reason. A ruler does not really seem like a good weapon for killing anyway. Okay, I know Chucky did it, but still. I know you get a game over if he catches you, but lots of games have game overs that don't involve the character dying. (2) I suppose you could argue he would still need the AP to even be able to hurt the player given their own durability, but does being fine after being slammed into a wall really mean they can't feel pain from having their fingers smacked? I mean, plenty of wall level plus characters can still feel pain from lesser things. Heck, Batman in any continuity as far as I know is at least above wall level, but simple knives or guns could still put him down as Bruce Wayne if he was hit without wearing his suit.
(1) Baldi is a parody of a horror game, where you have to escape a presumably supernatural school with a maniac chasing you. Baldi goes apeshit when you get a math problem wrong, purposefully rigs the math problems so you'll get them wrong, and shouts ear rape when you're about to collect all of the note books and escape. I think it's pretty safe to assume that either Baldi either isn't sane, or isn't 100% intent on "disciplining" you.

(2) Even if it's not an instant kill, it's certainly a hit strong enough to give you a game over. It's illogical to assume the kid just gets a game over from feeling pain on his knuckles.

Also, let's look at what the game's page says:

"Once you anger Baldi, there's no turning back, and if he finds you... Look, just trust me okay?"

"Baldi has many friends in the school that will slow down your progress and put you at risk of being caught, so learn how each character works and how you can avoid their attention. "

So according to the second quote, Baldi "catches" you, and that gets you a game over. But it's certainly not detention, as getting put there doesn't get you a game over. And according to the first quote, Baldi will apparently do some horrible things to you that the speaker refuses to talk about. And him catching you is enough to get you a game over but getting slammed up against a wall with 18 Kilojoules of energy isn't.

I'd say the player is at the very least incapacitated from the blow.

@Mand I don't know how consistent you can be when all the things you can say can be written in less than five minutes, but there is also this.

Necrobump.

I think we need to come to a consensus on whether or not Baldi's Spatial Manipulation and Illusion creation are valid, because people are still treating these abilities as if they're true in VS Threads.

I feel like they should either be classified as possibly or just be removed hoenstly.

But definitely wait for other opinions as well.

I think "possibly" is a good compromise. It's definitely a possibility that Baldi is causing is, since what else could be? It just isn't clear.

I suppose we could meet in the middle and put 'possibly' in the profile, yeah

Baldi is missing a ton of abilities and if anything should be UPGRADED. He doesent have his abilities and feats from baldis field trip on his profile

It's canon and we've taken feats from official demos before. Technically, both are demos, because he's planning a full paid Baldi's Basics game on steam, but that will probably take a long time to develop.

The content from demos generally get changed in the final version, we shouldn't take feats from demos imo

Also, even in the first game, he should have fourth wall awareness. Also he filled up an entrance with solid brick that was at least 9-A in size.

toonforce: his bus is a flat 2-D cutout but still works

fourth wall awareness: in the first game tells the player to left click to interact with objects and right click to use items

teleportation: can teleport in Baldi's field trip

Intangibility: Can pass through the locked detention door

Why should he get fourth wall awareness? The whole 'right click to use items' thing, that's a trope done in lots of different games (Navi from Zelda, for instance), so I'm not sure if it should count.

There's also when you open up the game he tells the player "welcome to baldis basics in educational and learning" and the fact on of the school rules is no fourth wall breaking

Lots of the stuff in the games are 2-D cutouts. It's probably just a stylistic thing, especially since the game was made by an amateur using Game Maker 8 who slapped the games together in short amounts of time.

The other three I am alright with.

Back