• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cal's Basics in Downgrading and Nerfs

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
So, I got around to watching let's plays of the game and I looked at the profile and...wew, is this profile a problem. I'll be addressing this bit by bit.

• Superhuman Physical Characteristics: Wrong, but I'll get to that later when I get to AP.
  • Enhanced Senses (Can hear whenever the player opens a door regardless of either's location in the school): This...is actually okay. I have no problem with this.
  • Rage Power (His speed increases with his anger): This one is okay as well
  • Reality Warping: Aaaand here's where we get to the lolnope stuff. Where does he ever portray anything resembling reality warping? Is it after you collect all 7 notebooks?
  • Spatial Manipulation (Altered the space of his school): No. The random placements when it comes to the school are more likely to do with either game mechanics or the school itself rather than Baldi's interference. Baldi still gets lost in the halls and trapped by locks and needs to find his way around. Plus, things that would be beneficial to Baldi if they remained the same disappear as well.
  • Illusion Creation (Can create false exits): Again, we assume this is him for what reason? Instead of simply exits you can't leave from in the school itself?
  • Sound Manipulation (Can cause any sound he makes to echo much further than it should, could distort his sounds and voice): This one I'm iffy about. I'm not sure if this counts or doesn't. Still, I don't remember his voice distorting at all.
  • Technological Manipulation (Caused glitches in his tests, can alter his appearance in his quizzes): This is the one I've been raring to get to. There are several better reasonings to the test's glitches than Baldi's interference. Reason one, IT'S A GLITCH. Baldi doesn't want you to get questions wrong. Why would he purposely sabotage a student like this? For the sake of chasing them down to kill them? That's uncharacteristic of the little we know of him, and he would've done that with the first test, or would've stalked and killed Play Time or one of the others. And even if Baldi did interfere, what's to say that he didn't...program that in when he made the tests? Not everything has to be supernatural...
  • Attack Potency: Street level (Able to one-shot the player, who can survive getting pushed across an entire hallway at high speed by 1st Place and Gotta Sweep): Okay, and? How on earth is this a feat at all? IRL Cal at any age upwards of 4 could survive that. And that's not even high speed. IRL Cal now could move faster than that. And one-shotting the player would be an interesting feat, if the player wasn't a small child. The player is friends with Play Time, who's no older than six, and is asked basic math problems like 8 - 5. At best, I'd put them in 3rd Grade due to some questions involving knowledge of negative numbers. There's also the fact that we don't know if Baldi one shots, let alone kills the player when he catches them.
  • Speed: Peak Human (Can outspeed the player and move several meters instantly. If the player fails too many times, Baldi will move so fast that he can cover a whole room in a second.): Again, I'm iffy. The player is a small child, so outspeeding the child isn't a feat. Baldi's quick movements for like, a meter are a result of the poor graphics, especially considering he's outsped by the clearly not superhuman...everyone else who's not the player or Baldi. And it would still just be his travel speed. Then again, his speed does get up there when his anger gets high...
  • Durability: See AP
  • Stamina: High, can chase the player and smack a ruler against his hand indefinitely with no fatigue.: No, this is not a high stamina feat. Indefinitely is extrapolation. On average, this game lasts 20 minutes a sit-through, and Baldi's walking through over half of it.
In short, Baldi is a normal man who gets pissed when he hears wrong answers with stupidly good hearing and speed that increases with said anger and would probably get his butt kicked by some of the people on this site.

Imagine yourself in the hallway of your school. You get quickly pushed across this entire hallway and slammed into the wall behind you at superhuman speed. Despite this, you get back to running with no form of injury whatsoever. That is why it's street level.

His peak human speed has a calc.

That would still be 20 minutes of him hitting his hand with a ruler and being completely unimpeded by it.

Also the player is never proven to be a small child, literally nothing is ever given about them

I didn't add the abilities outside of rage power and enhanced senses so I can't speak for those, though his voice distorts after the player gets 7 notebooks.

I don't have a problem with Baldi's speed after checking the calc. Everything else I still believe from my OP though, including the AP.

The problem is, the velocity is like, low enough that I'd be remiss to say that it's Athletic Human (excluding Baldi). Crossing a hallway in a matter of seconds is a thing that I could do when I was running late for a class. And I don't remember the player hitting a wall.

Have almost no clye about the game.

A calculation would be quick and would be absolute cal meaning any potential disagreement would be nuked.

On the topic of Illusion Creation, when the player collects all 7 notebooks, Baldi is audible regardless of where they are, then the school turns red. Possible Sound Manipulation aside, the school changing colour shortly after Baldi speaks suggests a connection. But I can understand assuming it's coincidence or something.

Of course, changing the colour of a building's insides seems different from making false exits. (Is it even quantifiable? I mean, there's no basis to quantify it like so, but in theory, changing the light spectrum across all the surface area of the building? Absurd & kinda unfounded, though.)

I agree there should be a calc of the player being pushed through the hall & into a wall.

Otherwise, I agree with everything here.

Welp, so much for the Baldi that could stand toe to toe with Michael Myers and Yandere-chan.

I agree with the OP here.

It definately should be limited to "Possibly" for spacial manipulation and such. But Game mechanics being the reason, no. That simply dosn't make sence. Somebody has to be doing it, no? And as Imaginym said, all of these wierd things in the school (The Spacial Manipulation and/or Illusion Creation) happened just after Baldi said, and I quote, "Congratulations!, you've found all seven notebooks! Now all you need to do is... GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! Ha ha haa!!!" This seems like a pretty good implication that Baldi is the one causing the exit changes. After all, somebody is probably doing it. This is an indie horror game, we as the internet know that things happen in indie horror games for a reason. Usually.

Ok for reality warp he manipulates the entire school building and makes fake exits when you collect all 7 that would also be illusion creation

Probably because the school is normal until he goes bananas...

And this line of dialogue

Dude, the whole premise of the game is that a simple looking maths game turns into a horror game after a maths question glitches out. They have robots which chase students in order to hug them and sentient brooms, the school is straight up weird. And that isn't necessarily linked to Baldi.

Also that line is probably moreso due to Baldi's anger issues. The guy kills you for getting a maths problem wrong lol

Probably implies that it's more than likely the case.

'Probably not' would have worked better

Hugging robots and sentient brooms are one thing, the entire school turning red the moment one guy yells is another thing entirely.

He should also probably have Extrasensory Perception for being able to "Hear math that bad" when the player purposefully gets every single question wrong on a quiz. And, of course, he does actually hear it and come to wherever you are.

Not to mention, the exits don't disapear until Baldi yells. It should at least be a considerable possibility that he's the one behind the false exits. Metaphorically, not literally.

On a more serious note I think illusion manipulation can stay. It doesn't take that much of a leap of faith to say Baldi caused it, considering how Indie RPG Horror games are, and how the entire school turns red right when he happens to say the line "get out while you still can".

The entire school turns red when a fake exit is triggered, not when baldi screams.

@Gyro

So we're just going to assume that the school did that on its own? It doesn't do that at the beginning of the game.

@Headless

Doesn't look like it.

Again, the school has sentient brooms, hugging robots and questions which glitch out for seemingly no reason (I don't buy that Baldi coded/manipulated his questions to glitch out just so he can get angry and kill you). It gets weirder as it goes along and it wouldn't surprise me if the school turning red was just another one of its supernatural elements

GyroNutz said:
Again, the school has sentient brooms, hugging robots and questions which glitch out for seemingly no reason (I don't buy that Baldi coded/manipulated his questions to glitch out just so he can get angry and kill you). It gets weirder as it goes along and it wouldn't surprise me if the school turning red was just another one of its supernatural elements
Those are merely entities that reside within the school. There are no "supernatural events" and I'd say there really isn't enough evidence to imply that the school is sentient. And no, it really doesn't get weirder when it goes along, save for the very end when the school turns red.

On a separate note I think I could take a shot at recalcing that 9-C feat. If we try and calc 1st Prize's mass and add that to the KE, I guarantee you it'll get better results.

1st Prize's body is comprised of at least 12 metal poles and tank-like wheels. The whole thing is taller than Baldi when it stands behind him, so I guarantee you that's not some robot that you can just pick up and dropkick. It's definitely gonna get Street level+ to Wall level results.

Back