• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Broly's Tier

So, one of the reasons that Broly's Galaxy destruction is seen as inconsistent is because there are a regular number of stars. Is it ever even said in the movie that New Vegeta is in South Galaxy? I remember Paragus saying that New Vegeta would soon be destroyed by Broly, but that's after he already destroyed South Galaxy, implying New Vegeta is in whatever Galaxy was his next target. Also if we consider the fact that South Galaxy is really a quadrant of the universe, it could just be in some galaxy in the South Quadrant that Broly hadn't gotten to yet. Also the thing about the Z-Fighters beating him with a combined attack. The problem with this is that the movies are not part of main continuity, so characters do not scale the same way. A good example is the Fruit of the Tree of Might, where Goku's base power is 30,000, inbetween his Saiyan and Frieza Saga self. Akira Toriyama has said that he essentially considers movies different dimensions that he is entirely an audience for, so it makes sense that movie characters don't have to make sense to where ever the main story was at that time, or even to other movies with the exception of the Broly Movies and the Cooler Movies, as those obviously have their own little continuities.

I do not think that these seem like good enough reasons to adjust Broly's tier.

To be honest, I'm not sure why we even have it as a "Possibly." It's an outlier at best, given that he's consistently defeated by Solar System level Saiyans, and the vagueness of the MSS feat makes it all the more questionable.

Broly busting galaxy is a definite outlier. He was beaten by an amped Goku who was not even super saiyan 2, all the other saiyans were just ssj1 as well. Even in non canon anime cell was never mentioned to be more than solar system level, so if Broly is around Cell's level then galaxy busting is an outlier for sure

Well, the uncertainty and inconsistency of the feat is the reason why we use "possibly".

My point is that movie character's don't scale to where the other characters were in the canon timeline because they are not part of it, unless they are explicity compared to canon characters (Cooler being called stronger than Frieza, Janemba was compared to Buu I think, etc.) Movies aren't connected to the canon timeline, or even other movies, so they can't really scale to each other. Also consier that Akira Toriyama has next to no impact on the movies besides maybe character designs, and of course things in movies aren't going to match up with canon. As Broly goes, since all movies are independent, unless they have direct sequels, everyone else should scale to him, and he is the only one in the movie with feats. Hell Goku hears that he destroyed a galaxy and is just like "Wow, he might be even stronger than me." Showing movie characters do not at all follow the power scaling of the canon timeline.

Well, it would likely be impossible to scale the character from each movie independently from each other.

Broly being defeated by an amped Goku is obvious PIS, seeing as how he was walking through the Z-Fighters but suddenly combining their weakened energy is enough to defeat him.

Yeah, most movie characters are nigh impossible to scale, since they are featless, with few exceptions. If you look at Broly as it's own independent thing, him being a Galaxy buster is just fine. And yeah, an amped Goku beating him when they were getting shit stomped beforehand is PIS whether he's large star or galaxy level. Think I always rationalized that by saying everyone's base power got added to Goku's base power, then got the SSJ mult, and since Piccolo is realistically several times his base, he gave the most. Still makes next to no sense and is hardly a justification for what is obviously the good guys win because story, even though they should have lost.

Also, since "South Galaxy" actually refers to a quadrant of the universe, you could even argue Broly is multi-galaxy, but that's neither here nor there.

^No. Broly only destroyed the only South Galaxy in the anime continuity.

Also: I agree with broly being defeated by an amped goku is PIS, the guy didnt take any real damage during the fight, was stated to get even stronger and then got oneshoted by a nearly dead amped ssj goku? Sure.

It happens twice. Broly' feat is not only questionable at best, but his low showings far surpass his questionable high end.

@Leo. That shows more on the size of the universe than the size of the galaxy.

Back