• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

BOT for VS Battles wiki

Kavpeny

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Most members are likely aware of the occasional mass-edits, particularly with respect to category-renaming, recently. However, the mass-editing script causes an imbalance in the points system (which will probably soon be deprecated), and also causes the user to rack up edits very quickly. Lastly, it also results in flooding of recent wiki activity.

To prevent misuse of this script, while also retaining the extremely valuable functionality of it, the best solution, in my opinion, is to have a bot account.

A bot account is activated after a community consensus. It has a bot flag, which prevents it from flooding recent changes, and also prevents it from causing an edit-imbalance. Furthermore, bots can provide important functionality in regards to fixing content on a wiki-wide scale.

Given the size and growth of VS Battles wiki, I believe it would be best to have a bot software in place, to help out with the maintenance of the wiki, while maintaining fairness at the same time.

I have created a Bot account here. The bot, if implemented, will have a request page and a request guideline page.

I believe a both will be of tremendous use to the site. If you agree with this initiative, kindly vocalize your agreement in this thread.

I don't mind this so i support it. Only problem for me is that i have no idea how this will work when making a request to it....

every organisatoric job we can easily outsource to a bot while maintaining in control is something i fully support

@CrossverseCrisis: The mechanism will be similar to the Official Request threads at present.

A member makes a request on the designated page, in the standard format, for a mass-edit action from the semi-automated bot.

If the request can be met by the bot, I will log in as the bot account, and make the requested changes. If otherwise, the requesting member will be informed as such.

The advantages of out-sourcing this work to a bot account instead of a regular user account are already listed in the original post.

Interesting. 2 questions though, will the requests made to the Kav-bot only be ones that require major edits, or also minor edits (adding a category, correcting a typing error) ? And will direct editing without the bot still be allowed ?

@Fastsword88: What? Of course direct editing will be allowed. Members will be absolutely free to make edits (within site rules, of course) after the bot account is activated. Regular member editing will be exactly the same as before.

The bot will be utilized to take care of mass editing ONLY...say, if there are changes to be made on 20+ pages (we can decide that limit when the bot is activated). And yes, minor edit requests will also be welcome in addition to major edit requests.

The only two conditions to be met for a Bot request will be:

1. The requested edits should be preferably be mechanical in nature, not intelligence-conscious ones, a.k.a., the edits must be of a simple and repetitive nature, pertaining to a fixed algorithm or pattern in order to be viable for the bot to handle.
  2. The requested edits should be valid on a mass scale, post the pre-determined bot-request limit (again, the limit will be decided once post the bot-activation). For example, if the limit is decided as 20, then only requests affecting editing of over 20 pages will be entertained.
Users can make any requests, while adhering these two conditions. I hope that answered your questions. Any other queries?

Aye, bots are very useful, especially in mass cases like these. Just make sure that it can't accidentally do something seriously bad. Worst case examples are up to the reader's imagination.

Also, maybe have some people moniter the actions of the bot, to prevent false positives. Likewise, keep some people monitering mass edits to prevent false negatives. Bots are good but not perfect (as of yet).

Really a good idea. For mass edit will be perfect. Probably will need some testing on a selected amount of pages/verses to repair eventual writing errors.

Back