• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bleach - Seireitei Size Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Topic

This thread will be to address our current calculation for the size of the Seireitei in Bleach.

The logic of the calculation is that it uses Yoruichi's statement from chapter 76 where she states it will take a 10-day walk to reach the next gate. This is then extrapolated into a 40 walking day's distance for the circumference of the Seireitei, giving a circumference of 3200 kilometers and a diameter of 1018.6 kilometers.

The reason why this type of calc has been used traditionally for Bleach is because the "art is inconsistent" so a purely statement-based method is favored in order to get a size for the Seireitei to use in other calculations.

But, I have to question about whether this notion is supported or not. In order to verify this, I've gathered a list of all the significant scans of the Seireitei's size from the manga.

Visuals

1) Chapter 84, Page 17
2) Chapter 84, Page 19
3) Chapter 546, Page 10
4) Chapter 576, Page 18
5) Chapter 608, Page 1
6) Chapter 614, Page 17
7) Chapter 615, Page 10
8) Chapter 621, Page 3
9) Chapter 654, Page 6
10) Chapter 684, Page 9

Now, there are certain to be discrepancies between these visuals. A couple of them come from much earlier in the series while most of these are from the last arc. Kubo, like all artists, isn't perfect. But what I think we can agree on is that even if these visual sizes of the Seireitei differ from each other slightly, all of them are consistently well, well below the calculated figure of 1018.6 kilometers in diameter.

The notion that these visuals are not 110% accurate with each other, so they should be abandoned entirely and we use a figure that is so astronomically higher than any other that it deserves to be called an outlier... is not a notion I am comfortable accepting.

Other Points

Less importantly, there is another case of something not lining up with the size for the Seireitei. If the accepted figure really was 1018.6 kilometers across, then that would mean that the dome covering the Seireitei extendeds hundreds of kilometers into the sky. Yet these Shinigami mistook Yhwach as being still outside of the Seireitei's dome while he hovered in the air above them and needed to be corrected that he's already inside of it. Mistaking him for being outside of it would make no sense if he had to be hundreds of kilometers away to be outside of it.

Towards the end of the war arc, Toshiro expresses concern about Gerard falling onto the Seireitei and annihilating it. Gerard at this point is not massively bigger than a skyscraper, and a skyscraper falling at terminal velocity is not going to be enough to annihilate an area with a diameter of a thousand kilometers. This is a more minor argument than the consistency of the visuals but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Conclusion

I don't think the visuals are so inconsistent as to warrant a statement-based calculation as our only alternative. We wouldn't do this for any other verse I think. The village of Konoha for example, we have even less visuals of the total diameter of Konoha but we still wouldn't accept a 1000 kilometer diameter for it using the same logic as Bleach's current calculation. (Only bringing this up as an example, not trying to deliberately involve other verses so let's not go down that road).

At the moment only a single calculation uses the currently accepted figure for the Seireitei's size and that is the calculation from Gremmy's meteor which is in the same calculation blog as the Seireitei's size. I think that we should remove both the size calc, and Gremmy's calc. At the moment Gremmy's ratings does not use his meteor as a justification for him, so we wouldn't need to update any profiles.

How much destruction can a sky piercing falling at full speed do directly let us do it according to the size of seiretei

Following for now

Also Meme
tO2OnEO.jpg

just a little question,if I disagree the CRT, do I have to explain why I disagree? (Does it count if I refuse without telling why?)

Ill do a write up for this later today

Question, do you think its possible to calc the size via a visual to use?

Also, i personally wouldnt use gerard's fall. In context, it could also mean the damage he can cause via his power when he lands

just a little question,if I disagree the CRT, do I have to explain why I disagree? (Does it count if I refuse without telling why?)
You can disagree without explaining yourself, but I don't think anybody would take any notice of it.

Ill do a write up for this later today

Question, do you think its possible to calc the size via a visual to use?

Also, i personally wouldnt use gerard's fall. In context, it could also mean the damage he can cause via his power when he lands

Yes, I think it's possible to calculate figures for it based on the visuals.

The Gerard point is the most minor in the OP. But Toshiro did specify it was his mass that was a concern, not his ability.

Honestly while I am fairly neutral on this, the fact that the size doesn't come directly from a specific distance statement and the examples of people noticing Yhwach and the art looking pretty consistently not that big, it makes me question the size

If the distance was given via direct distance statements, then I would have no issue with this, but since it's not, these issues are more prevelant

So we’re probably going with like a 3 to 10 km size seireitei? One of the movies literally gives a direct km statement size that matches up perfectly with Yoruichi’s statement, but it’s not canon so idk if it can be used. Also multiple statements from novels that say it took people multiple days to cross from one place to another. I think Damage should add those as well can you can look at it either way.

Honestly while I am fairly neutral on this, the fact that the size doesn't come directly from a specific distance statement and the examples of people noticing Yhwach and the art looking pretty consistently not that big, it makes me question the size

If the distance was given via direct distance statements, then I would have no issue with this, but since it's not, these issues are more prevelant
the only stated number is in the third film, which isnt canon. It did have some level of supervision from kubo, so take that as you will:
Kubo Interview from FTB movie guide! - Bleachness — LiveJournal

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Stated to be 600 ri for the diameter

So we’re probably going with like a 3 to 10 km size seireitei? One of the movies literally gives a direct km statement size that matches up perfectly with Yoruichi’s statement, but it’s not canon so idk if it can be used. Also multiple statements from novels that say it took people multiple days to cross from one place to another. I think Damage should add those as well can you can look at it either way.
from my understanding, it had a decent level of author supervision

got one

In one of the new Bleach novels, We Do knot Always Love You, two characters took several days traveling from one of Seireitei's gate's entrance to a barrack in Seireitei (the 7th Division barrack). They describe traversing mountainous terrain and forest as well over the course of several days. Here is the quote:

“Uncle gave us cloth to hide our faces, so we wore that and walked through Rukongai for several days……we were then concealed inside a wooden box and loaded onto a cart before a huge gate.”
"To start with, we thought we should meet Tetsu san, we asked uncle about the location of the 7th division. In order to not be discovered by people, we only traveled at night time, we passed through mountainous terrain and forests……on the night of the third day, in the middle of the forest we detected the scent of a fellow wolf……!”
So they walked for several days in the Rukongai until they arrived at one of Seireitei's gates, they entered Seireitei, and from there it took them three nights of traveling until they arrived at the 7th squad barrack.

We have consistent statements about the size, both in the manga, film and novel. In addition, it was agreed in the last topic that it was better to use the declarations, since in none of the panels will we find a consistent size for the size of Seireitei.

When literally zero panels from the manga support the statement, I have no trust in the statement.

I agree that the size of Seireitei is slightly overestimated.
But visuals are not appropriate to calculate the size of Seireitei too, becasue Hundreds of kilometers is too big to draw accurately.
So I think we have to recalculate the size of Seireitei through orihime's speed and health

Last edited:
And that is exactly why it was agreed to use the statements instead of the visual, the statements are consistent, the visuals are not.

It's the opposite to me. The visuals are relatively consistent with each other.

The figure from Yoruichi's statement is supported by nothing in the manga.

It's the opposite to me. The visuals are relatively consistent with each other.

The figure from Yoruichi's statement is supported by nothing in the manga.
No, no panel is consistent, you can calculate all that you mentioned in the post and in all of them there will be a big difference in size.

No, no panel is consistent, you can calculate all that you mentioned in the post and in all of them there will be a big difference in size.

It's artwork. It will never be 110% consistent. No series on here is.

But they are relatively close together. We don't get them varying from a couple kilometers across to a hundred kilometers to over a thousand kilometers.

What figures do we have from solely canon statements?

I’ll post this quote from arc
“ literally just average pixel scaling and statements, like easy solution one isnt inherently better than the other especially if the visuals arent self-consistent.”

According to the Bleach Movie "Fade to Black" Seireitei is 400 spirit miles for it's diameter

Kubo over seed the production of this movie by the way

1 spirit mile=2.4 spirit miles

400x2.4=960 miles

This is the diameter of soul society

Now that makes Gremmy's meteor which is close to the size of seireitei that large. Then you have to factor in density and the fact it was mving at hypersonic speeds given it's flames.

If a 10km meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs was country level then something close to 960km is easily continental-multi continental.

While the movie isn't canon, we should take into an account that the author intention for the size is accurate with Yoruichi's statement.

In the light novels a similar distance with mountains inside of seireitei is mentioned and we see those mountains in the 13th barracks grounds at the end of the fullbring arc.

Gerard was failing from another dimension, not the sky, so it barely counts. We don't have a distance because Damage voted to remove the calc that did.

As for Yhwach been considered to be outside of the dome when he was inside of it, means he looked "tiny" as in far away. Not closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back