• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Video Games of the 21st Century

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
I'm in need of lighter conversation and had a pretty good discussion about this last night.

NB4sDao.png

These would be my suggestions for the best video games made from the year 2000 onward. Not necessarily the ones I love the most (can't say I'm a huge fan of Breath of the Wild, and World of Warcraft has long since populated the gutter), but the best ones in general- most important, most boundary-pushing, most contributing.

I suppose the purpose of this thread is to say "discuss" and offer your pointers. So, do that. Or don't, I ain't a cop.

Notable Exclusions
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: Possibly some of the best writing in video games, but one feels that there are many games that could be praised for their writing that were also excluded. The game itself is pretty good but not incredible.
  • Minecraft: This and Skyrim are, in my eyes, persistent due to their modular nature. Base game Minecraft is decent enough but pales in comparison to Terraria, I feel, and Terraria was already a hazy add.
  • LIMBO: Masterclass in terms of setting tone, spawned a genre of games behind it. Hard to ignore.
  • Rimworld: The other Dwarf Fortress alumni, notable for pushing colony simulation as a genre to where it is (considering Dwarf Fortress was super inaccessible until recently).
  • Left 4 Dead: Notable in pushing multiplayer PvE experiences forward, objectively great.
  • Half-Life 2: Another Valve one. Unique in its worldbuilding and creativity in terms of mechanics, especially for the time.
These aren't my favorites, nor are they in order (I can say that Dark Souls is probably the top and Monster Hunter: World is probably the bottom). So. Y'know. Talk, what are you unreasonably upset about not being included.

Rocket League is peak. Give it a try if you haven't.
Rocket League is like, the logical end conclusion of people who want sports games but don't want to play Soccer 2028 every year, with each iteration bringing out more issues like some kind of inbred mutant

so I put some respect on its name, but it ain't really my medium, I think.

There are at least 10 gacha mobile games that i played for less than a day that deserve an spot on this list
I'd rather die in real life.

Terraria is peak, though the mods tend to kinda be all the same as in, you know, get more weapons, more equipment and slay the boss of the week, which is peak but can get repetitive.

Minecraft on the other hand has mods for everything. My favorites are the mods that let you automate everything and build massive complex machines. Doing one task just to do another task and spend hours automating something I could have done in less time manually is peak.

I haven't played any other game though.

Terraria might be the best game of all time imo. It's so fun to do different playthroughs with different weapons, class types and self imposed challenges. Modding makes this experience more entertaining and also gives you more cool bosses to fight. It also gets a lot of support from the developers years after it's creation, it still gets updates. The next one will double the amount of whip weapons the summoner class has which is just so peak.
Terraria is also good for building and I have built nice structures in Terraria but Minecraft is better because it's 3D and you can use shaders and texture packs to make buildings look better.

Imo, both games cover what I want in any game, both games are all I play and I could play modded Minecraft and modded Terraria forever.

Terraria is peak, though the mods tend to kinda be all the same as in, you know, get more weapons, more equipment and slay the boss of the week, which is peak but can get repetitive.

Minecraft on the other hand has mods for everything. My favorites are the mods that let you automate everything and build massive complex machines. Doing one task just to do another task and spend hours automating something I could have done in less time manually is peak.

I haven't played any other game though.

Terraria might be the best game of all time imo. It's so fun to do different playthroughs with different weapons, class types and self imposed challenges. Modding makes this experience more entertaining and also gives you more cool bosses to fight. It also gets a lot of support from the developers years after it's creation, it still gets updates. The next one will double the amount of whip weapons the summoner class has which is just so peak.
Terraria is also good for building and I have built nice structures in Terraria but Minecraft is better because it's 3D and you can use shaders and texture packs to make buildings look better.

Imo, both games cover what I want in any game, both games are all I play and I could play modded Minecraft and modded Terraria forever.
Minecraft is more modular. As a base game, Terraria has a lot more to its name.

The list I did yesterday

Composed of games I have played, outside of Transformers Fall of Cybertron, reason why I don't include other games is that I don't watch enough about them '-'

Top 2 is DMC 3 and The Witcher 3, the rest gets kinda murky after that

The list I did yesterday

Composed of games I have played, outside of Transformers Fall of Cybertron, reason why I don't include other games is that I don't watch enough about them '-'

Top 2 is DMC 3 and The Witcher 3, the rest gets kinda murky after that
so many of these are still so funny man

like I love you but Valorant and Counter Strike are insane

I guess some notable examples missing would be Silent Hill 2 given how many horror games are inspired by the game in specific, much less the entire series. Outlast is another good example for re-popularizing more traditional horror compared to the survival horror genre; which itself has much thanks to give to Resident Evil 4 specifically.

Dishonored 1 has held up the torch for stealth action games since Thief has fallen out of favor; it wouldn't be shocking if you do play through a stealth related game, it has mechanics strikingly similar to what Dishonored has.

Prey (2017) has probably been the most important game for Interactive Sim games since BioShock, in terms of its mechanics, story telling, level design, freedom of choice, lore etc. It's also personally my favorite game of all time, so if you haven't played it before (since it's a pretty obscure game unless you enjoy the genre) I would highly recommend it.

if we're going horror, my mind immediately goes to Alien: Isolation, best horror game ever made imo

I've played through it somewhat in the past and wasn't the biggest fan of it (I'm just not someone who really enjoys that form of horror, I would rather play through survival horror and the likes) Personally, I have Dead Space 2 as my favorite horror game of all time, and Dead Space the series is my favorite horror game series of all time (this might change in the future when I go through The Evil Within series again, as I haven't played it in a while and have forgotten most things about it, but I remember really enjoying it)

Minecraft is more modular. As a base game, Terraria has a lot more to its name.
Exactly, that's why I overall say Terraria is better.

Minecraft is more for building and making machines, all of that you can do in Terraria and more.
Then there's the multiple 4 balanced classes, subclasses, the Terraria wires and machine building mechanics, custom maps, challenge world seeds and self imposed challenges you can use.

Terraria also offers more mobility than Minecraft, you can no hit every boss and it feels good go be agile. Peak game.

Back