• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Berserk discussion thread: Golden age.

PaChi2

VS Battles
Retired
We can talk about the verse, if you want to.

Just wanted to say that "Adult attack" is the most f**ked up thing I have read in a while. I like the series, though the anime is kinda... ....

YGuts

Looks like the series doesnt have that many followers in here? What a pity.

Berserk has some of the best art in manga I've ever seen, undeniably one of the best if not the best in manga, period. It's renown for being extremely deep using violence and bloodshed to emanate that. Especially top tier in the character development side. I think people heavily underrated characters like Judeau and Corkus too. The main cast have some of the best characterisation I've seen, obviously Guts and Griffith, Casca and all the other minor figures representing various things, it's a very tightly knit world but most of it hasn't even been explored yet. Berserk is a unique series, I would critique it in the small number of extremely important figures though. The main cast is small and most of the threats aren't really explored as characters (though all of them being eldritch horrors might factor into that and the problem of retelling different stories of becoming an apostle becoming repetitive), we've already seen the story of slug-man in the Black Swordsman arc giving us a taste of the tragedy within the apostles as disgusting and vile as they are, slug-man added some humanity to them.

"Griffith Did Nothing Wrong" is probably the most famous thing from Berserk (along with the Horse-Farnese scene) and my views on it, well saying what he did is justified is just a debate on morality but debating on the narrative nuances of what he did, why he did it, the background and the mysterious cause are much more enjoyable than arguing whether what he did was right or wrong (which people need to realise can be different from good and bad depending on the context).

I would say Berserk is up there with my favourite pieces of media of all time.

Femto!Griffith is boring. Like, terribly bland. Its like seeing a max level character play against regular people.

Funny how you say Casca when she has been a looney toon more time than not lol

It's more so what he represents, his ideology and his effect on the narrative rather than just "he's op pls nerf" making him boring, but I can understand why you would say he's boring seeing as how he could basically accomplish anything he put his mind to. He seems like a Gary Stu but he definitely has flaws which are highlighted.

I mean she wasn't crazy in the Golden Age which is what I'm analysing Casca from, lol.

Do you agree that Berserk became more like a regular shounen in the most recent arcs? Or is it just my impression?

Parts of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc give off that impression with the fuckton of fan-service and the fights are more shounen-esque in that arc than ever before. I mean current Berserk is going into territories of more metaphysical and magical nature rather than the old iron and blood it used to be with the hint of something more on the side of the meal. So many things factor into the change in Berserk. I wouldn't say it became like a regular shounen though it may have some aspects but overall it is still as dark, gritty and bloody as ever with no real good endings.

Also, did you notice that Puck is rarely drawn properly in the last arcs?

Puck's character has really taken a hit recently and the current art style is not to my liking though it's still extremely good, it's too cutesy for me.

Oh boy... what can I say about Berserk that hasn't been said before?

It probably shares the number 1 slot for my favorite manga/anime alongside Hunter x Hunter (Though in Berserk's case it's obviously only the manga that's up there lol. Anime adaptations were mediocre to trash).

Best art in manga history, no contest (You could argue Vagabond, but meh I don't think so). Guttsu is the best MC imo, and Griffith is the best villain in manga that I've seen, unless you count Meruem as a villain then that might be a conversation.

Characters are solid as hell, story has always been extremely well thought out and the plot is intriguing. There's so many mysteries I'd love to figure out or get answers to before the series ends. Mainly stuff about some of the apostles and the Godhand, also Skull Knight (Though I have some ideas about him).

I actually don't mind the recent "Shounen" stuff because I personally love Shounen, and with Berserk's quality it just works lol. Though I wouldn't go as far as calling it Shounen as it's still far better than most of them. The current art style was jarring at first, but I got used to it. It's not a downgrade from the previous art style, it's just different.

And if you ask me, I'm glad Miura is getting help with drawing the manga and is switching to digital. I wish Togashi would do that too because the art has suffered in HxH (Though the current arc has had great art sometimes). Berserk's quality is still stunning imo. Different art style is better than the manga never ending imo.

Corkus and Judeau are fantastic characters as well.

Casca is great, and she's best girl alongside Schierke.

Donavan best waifu tho.

I want Casca to hurt Griffith.

I dont care if Guts steals the kill.

But Casca deserves something.

Honestly I don't know how they can even touch Griffith at this point, but I'm sure Moon child will come in clutch lol. He's definitely going to be the key to his defeat, if it happens.

But I agree, I would definitely love if Casca gets her revenge. She's been potato Casca for 20+ years, we need old badass Casca back!

PaChi2 said:
Skullboi may know the key to defeating the Godhand.
True. Actually he might reveal something next chapter, you know given the cliffhanger. I hope he metaphorically "spills the beans" to an extent and reveals some vital information next chapter.

PaChi2 said:
See ya in 2021 when that happens.
Lol, at least we're sort of guaranteed a chapter or two per year. Hiatus x Hiatus has really lowered my expectations you could say.

Btw, just wanted to comment that had Griffith not raped Casca I currently would like his character much more. And this isnt even related to the potato state in which Casca was left.

Sacrificing the Band of the Hawk was the only way for him to reach his dream, so that I can understand. What came afterwards was simply overdoing it. I know it was to torture Guts for failing him and stuff and probably Casca because she was getting to close to Guts. Still, it made "Griffith did nothing wrong" impossible for me.

Griffith raped Casca for a reason actually, aside from torturing Guts. I believe he did it so he could gain corporeality through her child, which he did achieve.

EmperorRorepme said:
Was it for the vessel? I'm pretty sure the moon child wasn't necessary for the Egg of the Perfect World thing.
Not sure, but considering that he's using the moon child as a vessel I'd imagine he's important. Maybe the egg was used to summon him while the moon child acts as a vessel? It's wacky XD.

I'm willing to bet that'll be his only weakness.

It also makes you wonder, if they kill the Moonlight boy would that kill Griffith or would he simply return to the astral realm he originally came from? I don't know if it's actually possible to kill a Godhand member, but I could be missing something.

If it's possible to do it, I'm sure Skullknight and MC will likely be the key.

Killing a vessel does nothing to the Godhand.

Remember Slan and those entrails.

PaChi2 said:
Killing a vessel does nothing to the Godhand.

Remember Slan and those entrails.
MC seems more unique then those entrails though, considering how MC seemingly maintains his consciousness and has limited control, and is also influencing Griffith's emotions. Their connection seems deeper and that may be his downfall.

Back