• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Beerus' speed.

Rocks75

VS Battles
Retired
Well, as I promised, I will do a calc about Beerus' speed after the speed feat he got in the first episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Alright, let's start.

Beerus destroyed half of planet, then he outran the explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_zJ2RQnxo

As you guys can see there is two planets on panel in that video, one is the planet that Beerus destroyed in half and the other planet is the Jupiter-like.

To giving some idea the distance between the planet that Beerus destroyed in half and the Jupiter-like planet, I used this:

http://www.planetsedu.com/distances-between-the-planets/

The less distance between two planets as you guys can see, is between Venus and Earth.

The distance between Venus and Earth is 0.28 AU, which means 41,887,404 km.

Then, to calculate the low end speed for Beerus, he took 5 seconds to crosse the distance between the planet that he destroyed in half and the Jupiter-like planet.

Speed of Light: 299,792 km/s

41,887,404 km / 5 = 8,377,480.8 km/s

299,792 km/s x 27 = 8,094,384 km/s

Result: Beerus is almost 28 times faster than light.

What do you think guys about this?

It seems reasonable, but didn't the OBD get a considerably lower number?

Yeah, however they didn't calculate the speed like this but using the meteor speed.

I find the OBD's calc not very solid tbh.

Okay. As far as I am concerned you can link to this calculation in Beerus' speed tier, but it may be a good idea to ask the calculation group members first.

@Antvasima: From what I can see, the large planet is still on-panel when Bills shows his back to the camera (at 0:40), which means he never travelled from the planet to the large planet, and subsequently the distance taken is incorrect.

which means he never travelled from the planet to the large planet, and subsequently the distance taken is incorrect.

How he never travelled?

In the camere looks like he was behind that planet.

And why the distance is incorrect?

@Rocks75: Pardon me if I misunderstood, but I believe you are taking the distance based on the fact that Beerus travelled from the smaller planet to the larger one, correct? Only at 0:40 in the video, the camera depicts the larger planet beside Beerus's leg, hence the incorrect assumption (and subsequently the incorrect distance).

But he's equal distance or further away from the small planet as the large planet is, so that distance is fine, right? he didn't move from directly to the large planet but the fact that Beerus is so close to the camera and so much of the planet is within the camera's view means he must have gone atleast that far.

Is your 5 seconds an estimate or is that actual measured time?

No, Beerus was a bit away from the Jupiter-like planet, not beside the planet.

And my question is, why the distance is incorrect? I am taking the lower distance known between two planets that are between Venus and Earth, and the distance is 0.28 AU (41,887,404 km).

Rib78 said:
Is your 5 seconds an estimate or is that actual measured time?
Well, is an estimate, because it took 5 seconds the planet being destroyed in half, then Beerus appeared.

@Rib78

"But he's equal distance or further away from the small planet as the large planet is, so that distance is fine, right? he didn't move from directly to the large planet but the fact that Beerus is so close to the camera and so much of the planet is within the camera's view means he must have gone atleast that far."

That's a misconception. Closer to camera does not mean a farther distance from the large planet. This is a 3 dimensional view, so depth perception also counts. I fact, the larger planet seems closer to the camera than the smaller one, instead of being equidistant.

@Rocks75

"No, Beerus was a bit away from the Jupiter-like planet, not beside the planet."

Yes, and we don't know his distance from the Jupiter-like planet.

"And my question is, why the distance is incorrect? I am taking the lower distance known between two planets that are between Venus and Earth, and the distance is 0.28 AU (41,887,404 km)."

If Beerus never travelled from the planet to Jupiter-like planet, would not the distance between them be irrelevant to Beerus' speed?

If I don´t miss something I believe the problem with the distance is the perspective. Let´s say the point Beerus stands in the end (and also the POV) is P, the small planet is point A and the large planet is point B, then we can say they build a triangle. We can assume the distance AB to be 0.28 AU. The problem is with just this the triangle is underdetermined (is that what it is called in english?). That means the distance PA can not be calculated and could really be anything.

@DontTalk: Exactly. That you for laying out what I was trying to say. The three reference points from a triangle (with the area being in the direction of the XZ plane, albeit inclined). That's why the calc distance is incorrect (we have to measure PA, not AB), and since the 3 points have differing three dimensional spatial co-ordinates, there's no way to measure distance PA.

P.S.: The word you are looking for is indeterminate.

But Beerus was in the planet, then he destroyed half of the planet, then in a few seconds he appeared a bit away from the Jupiter-like planet, it's ok, he never traveled from the planet to the Jupiter-like planet, but he was a bit away even from the Jupiter-like planet in a few seconds, I am assuming how much distance Beerus traveled in a few seconds, taking consideration the distance between Venus and Earth, giving that distance between the planet that he destroyed in half and Jupiter-like planet, just assuming how much he traveled in a few seconds, not if Beerus traveled from one planet to another planet.

You are assuming distance PA to be equivalent to AB, which is not necessarily true and more than likely incorrect. The range between sides of a triangle can be anything.

The time-frame is also suspect, IMO.

@Lord Kavpeny ,@Don'tTalk if beerus was beside the planet in the next shot, then basic geometry tells us the hypotnuse will always be longer then either of the legs, meaning the distance is fine as a low end, as for the time frame, i do suggest that if your given source is a video, you should find how many frames the feat took (while knowing the frame rate 29 frames per second) , and calculate the time frame from there....

The time-frame is not suspect, the planet starting being destroyed in half started at 0:35, and Beerus appeared away from the planet at 0:40, is 5 seconds, how is suspect?

And Beerus is at least on the same distance from the planet that he destroyed in half like the Jupiter-like planet, if not further.

I Said the distance was fine...., the time frame thingie, i never said it was wrong persay, i just said i would do it differently, thats all...

Illuminati478 said:
I Said the distance was fine...., the time frame thingie, i never said it was wrong persay, i just said i would do it differently, thats all...
I was replying to Lord Kavpeny.

How you would do the calc?

@Illuminati478: Hypotenuse is use only for right angled triangles, which I doubt it is. But I get your point, and assumption is that this is the largest side of the triangle, which it very well may noy be. What if it's the smallest side of the three? With depth perception factored in, it would be impossible to tell (hence, indeterminate).

I think the OBD calc uses angsizing, along with the earth's radius, which is generally a better measurement stick.

Also, sorry but I don't know how to utilize time-frame measurement using video frames.

@Rocks75: Sorry, it's just that DBZ abuses cinematic time a lot, so seeing 5 seconds is not believing 5 seconds. The OBD calc used meteor speed comparison, and got a very different time-frame, so I was merely expressing my uncertainty regarding the original time-frame taken.

Lord Kavpeny said:
@DontTalk: Exactly. That you for laying out what I was trying to say. The three reference points from a triangle (with the area being in the direction of the XZ plane, albeit inclined). That's why the calc distance is incorrect (we have to measure PA, not AB), and since the 3 points have differing three dimensional spatial co-ordinates, there's no way to measure distance PA.
P.S.: The word you are looking for is indeterminate.
But the reason PA is being used is because PA >= AB, we know this much for certain because Beerus' leg covers the large planet, given that we are viewing said leg straight on (rather than at an angle) it could only cover things that are farther away from our view than itself. If A is our focus and B can be viewed between P and A then PA must be >=AB.

Wait, the obd calced this using anglesizing? Then there is no argument, of course its the right approach, besides, both results tend to FTL beerus, so i dont see the problam...

Lord Kavpeny said:
@Rocks75: Sorry, it's just that DBZ abuses cinematic time a lot, so seeing 5 seconds is not believing 5 seconds. The OBD calc used meteor speed comparison, and got a very different time-frame, so I was merely expressing my uncertainty regarding the original time-frame taken.
But he was far away from the planet in seconds anyway.

@Illuminati478: Yeah, here. Look through the part which is striked out in the beginning (click on the first spoiler button). The guy who made the calc got the angle as 25.137, and plugging it into the Angsize calculator, with radius as earth radius, got the distance as far lesser than the one used here. Then, he used the meteor displacement to calc a time-frame and got the final value as 6.5C. And it does make a difference, since one (6.5C) is FTL while the other is listed as FTL+ (28C).

Though given that he's listed as "At least FTL+" on his page, I don't how it makes a difference, all said and done.

@Rocks75: Well, the both the time-frame and the distance are too large IMO, distance more so. I think I have said my piece though, I think others should discuss it out, meanwhile I shall go over this calc again from scratch.

A smaller distance could be reasonable, this distance being used relies on the assumption that these are two planets in the same system with mostly independant orbits, but smaller planet could be a dwarf planet orbiting the large planet (this was suggested in the OBD calc). In that case the best ways to get distance would be to base it on Ganymede or Titan which is basically dwarf planets in their own right:

-Distance from Jupiter to Ganymede = 1070Mm

-Angsizing with Genymede's diameter = 11.814Mm

Even the larger distance isn't FTL, but that not getting FTL results from this isn't really wierd, he likely leave immediately, or had no reason to go at more than a lesuirely pace.

Are we entierly sure that they have independant solar orbits?

Infact looking at things frame by frame this is for sure not ftl, the light from the explosion shines onto discount jupiter immediately. Well before he appears on screen, if actual light makes it there before him then that's by definition not faster than light.

Off Topic: Did anyone notice the Galaxy in the background?

Good Calc btw

Why the distance is too large? I'm using the smaller known distance between two planets, I'm not even using bigger distances than that.

Anyway, Anime can be inconsistent about the distances, like Naruto for example, the split of the moon was even visible from Earth, and when it was showed the split, was no bigger than 50 meters.

@Rocks75

"Why the distance is too large? I'm using the smaller known distance between two planets, I'm not even using bigger distances than that."

No, no, I'm saying that the distance you are assuming Beerus travelled (which you're assuming to be approximately the distance between planets), is likely too large. The angsizing method gives a completely different (and much smaller) result, hence the reasoning for my statement.

"Anyway, Anime can be inconsistent about the distances, like Naruto for example, the split of the moon was even visible from Earth, and when it was showed the split, was no bigger than 50 meters."

Well, I haven't seen The Last, only clips, and when Toneri splits the Moon, the two halves were seen from a point in outer space, not earth (as far as I saw, anyway). Even so, my point is that the distance is indeterminate precisely because of inconsistencies in Anime, and too many unknowns to calc the distance that way.

"And here, a pic of our Solar System:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/solar_system_Photojournal_428px.jpg

Venus doesn't look far away from Earth neither, but the distance between them is 0.28 AU."

^ I agree.

I was only gone a day, people. How did this much happen while I was gone?

This came from the series premiere of Dragon Ball Super, didn't it? I'm loathe to admit I missed it. Could someone direct me to a place I could watch it?

Well, linking to illegal downloads is not allowed within this wiki, but I am sure that you can find it at some bittorrent site yourself.

Back