• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Base Mario Resistance Addition(s) [Minor]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is my first "Content Revision" thread, I'd rather make this simple and not ridiculous and convoluted. So I'll start small.

I did some digging around, using other websites as guidance and pointers, reviewed some of the previous minor CRT threads made in regards to Mario, and found a few noteworthy mentions that weren't listed on his profile.

But before I start, there's something I need to (hopefully) clear of potential confusion and skepticism. It's more or less Mario's Superguard move. For those who aren't aware, throughout most (if not all) Paper Mario games, Mario is able to perform a defensive action called Guard. True to its name, it allows Mario to brace himself against incoming attacks and reduce damage.

Superguard is an advanced version of Guard that was introduced in The Thousand Year Door. Through the player's precise timing, all damage (with the exception of: )

• Hooktail, Gloomtail and Bonetail’s Bite attacks
  • Bulky Bob-omb's & Bob-ulk's Explosion
  • The Shadow Queen's Shade Hands attack (the player can Guard however, making it the only attack that can be Guarded but not Superguarded)
  • Vivian's Fiery Jinx
  • Marilyn's Thunder

-is rendered null completely. For those specific characters listed, it might just be Durability Negation for their moves, but that's for another time.

Superguard is mentioned at [8:28]. It isn't something that can be bought from any retail shop in the game as you're literally taught how to use it. This could fall under Attack Reflection, but seeing as it's just an upgrade to his regular Guard action along with my reasons down below, I don't think it qualifies. No equipment. No hax.

-----------------------------------------------------
#1: Fire Manipulation

Sure, his profile has him resisting "Heat", but that's not really fire. I don't understand why this hasn't been added to his composite profile yet, despite numerous instances of the feat. Most I've managed to find were from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
------------------------------

From beginning to end, Mario is shown Superguarding every attack thrown at him by the Ember. If you're curious as to what those electrical sparks emanating from Mario are, it's called Electrified. It's a "positive status condition" that only functions as dishing out damage upon being physically struck and interrupting attacks with a delay between making contact and damaging. It shouldn't invalidate the feat whatsoever.

Here, Mario is shown Superguarding Bowser's "Fire Blast" for some time. Pretty straightforward.

Here, Mario is shown Superguarding against the Fire Bros "Flamespit", "Doubleflame", and "Multiflame". I'm aware that Mario wasn't hit when they used Flamespit and Doubleflame, but that's quite literally because they weren't aiming at him. You even see when they use Multiflame that he's still very much capable of Superguarding it, as it wouldn't make sense for only Goombella to Superguard it, but not Mario.

I'm sure you can still use Guard against these attacks, which doesn't have the 'damage rebound' effect, if the Superguard arguments somehow don't hold much merit. Hell, the justification for Mario's electricity resistance has him being struck by Shadow Queen's lightning, without using Guard or Superguard, and remaining in one piece.

#2: Ice Manipulation

Another one that wasn't added. I remembered this particular feat from when I used to play the game, so I decided to search it up.

Here, Mario is shown breaking out of ice after being frozen by an Ice Bro. Also pretty straightforward, but if that isn't enough, here's this:
https://youtu.be/z-GjvqZdR3o?t=13

Mario Superguards Ice Beam from Sir Grodus. Like the Clock Beam mentioned below, Ice Beam doesn't have that same 'damage rebound' effect when Mario Superguards it.

#3: Time Stop

This is a hefty one, but it shouldn't be an issue to cover. The resistance comes from when Mario Superguards Sir Grodus' "Clock Beam" attack. For whatever reason, Sir Grodus has a profile, but it isn't listed on the verse's page.
https://youtu.be/bFgV7SRbtPs?t=377

Here, Grodus becomes fed up with Mario and prepares to use Clock Beam, a move confirmed to stop time. Just to add further justification, the visuals shown when he uses Clock Beam are literal clocks, an object usually associated with time. After Mario is hit with the attack, the message, "Immobilized! Movement will be impossible for a while!" is shown.

True to that statement, Mario doesn't budge a single inch, even when he's struck by lighting right after by Grodus (though, he does recover a literal second after the lightning strike, but that's simply because the attack has a duration)
https://youtu.be/z-GjvqZdR3o?t=18

This is when Mario Superguards Clock Beam.

Even though the name of the attack is called "Clock Beam", there isn't exactly any beam shown. If Mario's Superguard was indeed only Attack Reflection, why would he be able to defend against an attack that has no projectile showings and can't be reflected by Superguard? Not to mention, the 'damage rebound' effect doesn't happen to Grodus.

The only times Superguard is shown reflecting damage back to an enemy is if it's a physical attack, not projectiles, or special ones such as Grodus Clock Beam.

This was pain, but I hope that I managed to present enough evidence for these to be added. Sorry a few of the videos aren't showing up.

Agree (Those who agree with all 3): It_is_i_wyatt, Foxthefox1000, DarkDragonMedeus, SuperStar, The_Almighty_Wholesome, deonment, DarkGrath, Pokemonfan807, ImmortalDread, Ikelaggan

Partial (Those who only agree with 1 or 2 of them):

Disagree
(Those who disagree with all 3):

Neutral
(Those who are indecisive, or are abstaining):

Last edited:
seems fine, though it would be resistance specifically with superguard for the superguard related ones right?
possibly, but I wouldn't think so considering it's just an upgrade to his regular guard action and not an item, like the Feeling Fine badge, that he can buy from a shop

he just simply defends himself better, and even then there are instances he can withstand attacks while not guarding and characters who can bypass (the move in question) his superguard

and going by his profile, Superguard is even listed under "Innate Abilities" in Attack Reflection

Last edited:
I gave all the evidence I could to justify the additions, along with some counterarguments just in case

but if that somehow isn't convincing, then idk

This looks good to me. The applicability of the time stop resistance seems a bit odd, but the evidence speaks well for it. Nothing here has any tangible issues.

Considering we may need to reference it, how will justifications be worded so as to account for time stop that wears off after however much "time"/action a "turn" is?

Considering we may need to reference it, how will justifications be worded so as to account for time stop that wears off after however much "time"/action a "turn" is?
probably something along the lines of, "Is capable of Superguarding Sir Grodus' Clock Beam attack, a move stated to stop time."

and for Grodus, his Clock Beam duration can probably be added to his weaknesses or something

Last edited:
probably something along the lines of, "Is capable of Superguarding Sir Grodus' Clock Beam attack, a move stated to stop time."
What about justifications/descriptions for Grodus's own move, considering it'd be on his profile? How would we account for its temporary-ness in its description?

My concern is it feels weird to say that a status wears off "over time" when the point of it is time doesn't flow for them, ostensibly, & also we don't know how much time a "turn" is supposed to be.

What about justifications/descriptions for Grodus's own move, considering it'd be on his profile? How would we account for its temporary-ness in its description?

My concern is it feels weird to say that a status wears off "over time" when the point of it is time doesn't flow for them, ostensibly, & also we don't know how much time a "turn" is supposed to be.

then treat it as a weakness of the attack

it having a duration shouldn't really be foreign considering many characters in fiction with similar abilities don't have their time stop moves last forever, take DIO for example

plus, it isn't like Grodus can't attack once he freezes you with Clock Beam, as shown in one of the videos

Last edited:
then treat it as a weakness of the attack

it having a duration shouldn't really be foreign considering many characters in fiction with similar abilities don't have their time stop moves last forever, take DIO for example

plus, it isn't like Grodus can't attack once he freezes you with Clock Beam, as shown in one of the videos
Yeah but we know how many seconds Dio's time stop lasts, don't we?
Anyway, okay. I just think it'll be 1 of those weird "How long is X turns, anyway?" situations.

Yeah but we know how many seconds Dio's time stop lasts, don't we?
Anyway, okay. I just think it'll be 1 of those weird "How long is X turns, anyway?" situations.
both aren't necessarily that different, but I understand your point

I can just examine the time frame of the video and also see if the duration only decreases from a turn or if it isn't hindered by turns

both aren't necessarily that different, but I understand your point

I can just examine the time frame of the video and also see if the duration only decreases from a turn or if it isn't hindered by turns

seems it only lasts for 26 seconds, starting from 6:26 the instant Mario is frozen to 6:52 when he's able to freely move again, though it's hard to say whether it relies on turns or not

I couldn't find another video that had Grodus using his Clock Beam and it successfully landing, so we might just have to stick with this for now

Last edited:
then in Clock Beam's case, would it just be game mechanics?
No, we have to assume a timeframe. One could use the timeframe of the stop watch from Mario 2 and then say that the length of its stop is equal to the length of the stop from the stopwatch in the games, then use that timeframe to determine how long turns are in-game.
But that doesn't feel right to me; I would like a second opinion.

No, we have to assume a timeframe. One could use the timeframe of the stop watch from Mario 2 and then say that the length of its stop is equal to the length of the stop from the stopwatch in the games, then use that timeframe to determine how long turns are in-game.
But that doesn't feel right to me; I would like a second opinion.
One option MIGHT be to measure the length of the turns taken by those other than who is stopped, removing any delay from awaiting player input, but that's complex (Requires accounting for how long X doing what can take.) & kinda tedious.

That said, this is just for the justification & determining how it works in Versus Matches, no?
The time stop should be valid to add to the profile, even if we don't know the timeframe, right?

So it should be fine to apply other accepted content, even before finishing determining the time stop's duration of effect, I'd assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back