• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bad news about the highlights function

Andytrenom said:
You know...maybe we should focus this thread on handling this new situation and move the leaving FANDOM talk to elsewhere. What does everyone else think?
I agree with this.

Andytrenom said:
Playing around with this feature in my personal wiki, just trying to figure out what our options are.

I think Ant's suggestion is the best right now.

Create a intermediate thread which links all the highlight needing threads and may I suggest you also mention the dates when those threads were created adjacent to the links?
Yes, either the the news & announcements or the wiki management forum seems best suited for this purpose.

What should we call the threads?

"Important discussions list. Please inspect regularly."?

Not sure.

But anyway how does this look for the thread's structure? (The bolding is only to make the text distinct here, not for the actual version)

Introductio

Link to thread
(for eg. Massive Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Chrono Trigger downgrades as well as Dragon Ball upgrades) (NEW) (The NEW is supposed to signify whether the thread 's recent and active or not)

Date (Might be best if users know how old the thread is)

Overall it will look something like this:

A list of important discussions

Massive Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Chrono Trigger downgrades as well as Dragon Ball upgrades
(NEW)

30 Nov 2018
This is of course all just a suggestion.

Maybe we could simply add the newest ones on top of the link list, along with the date that they were added, and a description what they are about?

I do think they should be added on top, but all the threads that are currently active and "highlighted" should still have the "NEW" besides them I believe.

The reason i suggested it was basically because it was an easy way of showing the "highlighted" status of multiple threads at once.

Okay. I suppose that we could add "NEW:" if they were added less than a week ago?

Also, I was just told that Fandom has created an announcement here regarding the feature: https://community.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:1565872

Our staff members can participate if they wish, but please do your utmost to be as polite as you can manage. Otherwise our community could get in serious trouble, and nobody in the Fandom staff will get convinced of anything.

Bert Hall also strongly implied (in the message that I just received) that Fandom is open towards allowing several highlights at once again in the future, but that they want the Fandom communities to try the new system first to see if it works.

Thank you very much for the help. I have given you my support there.

It is probably enough with what me and Matthew already posted at Community Central. I don't want us to spam the thread and get Fandom mad at us.

Antvasima said:
Okay. I suppose that we could add "NEW:" if they were added less than a week ago?
Eh, that might be a bit too long you know? Dozens of threads are created every day so there would be potentially hundreds of threads listed as "new" for a week, 2, maybe 3 days might be better.

We are only going to use this thread to link to very important discussions that would normally be highlighted.

They will at least read the message. Let's not start any unnecessary trouble, as I mentioned previously.

Antvasima said:
Also, I was just told that Fandom has created an announcement here regarding the feature: https://community.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:1565872

Our staff members can participate if they wish, but please do your utmost to be as polite as you can manage. Otherwise our community could get in serious trouble, and nobody in the Fandom staff will get convinced of anything.
From what they've said, it seems like you can "re-highlight" that one announcement to notify people of it again if you're adding a new thread to it. This might let it be kept locked permanently while still notifying people when it's edited.

Well, from what I have previously been informed, it is only possible to highlight the same URL once, but I agree that it would be much more practical if that were not the case.

I just received some news about our forums that make the situation seem better than previously:

"Hi Antvasima,

To reiterate about Forum -- it's not going away anytime soon.

We are just beginning a significant rework of Discussions and some of your feedback has been a key part of that. You will still have Forum going for a long while, and when the transition time finally comes, we expect it will be much more manageable.

I just want to be very clear about that. It's not something you need to worry about right now.

As for Announcements and highlights, I am very confident this transition will not be as problematic as you think, and we will work with you guys to make sure that it goes well.

And I promise it won't be me taking 2 weeks to get back to you -- we'll have people from the support team working on the community to help out if that is what is needed.

Let's focus on that change for now.

You can put my suggestion into practice at any time, and if you want help doing that let me know and we'll get it set up for you next week and work with you do to some tests.

Best regards,

Bert Hall Senior Director, Community Support"

That's a bit more reassuring, although I don't see discussions being anywhere near as convenient as regular forums in the foreseeable future.

"Massive Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Chrono Trigger downgrades as well as Dragon Ball upgrades (NEW)"

...you did this on purpose @Andy...

In all seriousness, yeah, I can see the same potential problems everyone else is. It is reassuring that forums are gonna be here for a long while, but I occasionally go on Discussions and I hate it.

I don't hate discussions per say but I would be more than a little annoyed if Forums were to be replaced with that.

FANDOM is just Mr. Krabs at this point.

Every fandom title: BEST ANIME OF 2018 LOL

All I wanna say is that, they don't really care about us.

Look, the Fandom staff systematically bans people who are sufficiently politically incorrect, and it is their platform, so we have to try to adapt.

Either adapt or leave is basically their policy. That "my way or the high way" attitude is part of why so many people dislike Fandom.

Well, we are also trying to create a friendly and respectful environment for people from many different cultures and countries, so we should also try our best to avoid politically charged topics, so we do not all end up constantly yelling at each other. It would be almost impossible to get anything constructive done.

Back