• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bad news about the highlights function

Veloxt1r0kore said:
I don't know why, but i feel people here is too overreacted with this shit.
That tends to happen when you remove a useful feature for no reasons at all, replacing it with a feature that's exactly the same, but worse

I don't think this is just about this change specifically.

I believe the reason everyone is so unhappy is because FANDOM has made bad decisions like this repeatedly and have shown no signs of stopping yet.

It's not as much as this specific action causing all the outrage as further showings of FANDOM's slow degeneration.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
People just need to adapting, why it so hard?
We have "adapted" to many of their unneeded changes in the past, but we're getting tired of it. A lot of people are getting tired of it, which is why so many people are jumping ship to Miraheze, ShoutWiki and independent ventures. Many people consider Wikia to be a liability at this point, which is not good for anyone.

Like Saikou said. It's not just this change, it's the slow, but very noticeable degeneration. There's even an possibility that they're going to remove the MediaWiki software the entire website is built on for some lackluster alternative.

People just need not getting frustrated so easily by this problem, we get more worse than this before, is it?

This is not like end of world or else, people just need to calm down with this and thinking it with fresh mind.

FANDOM continuously making the site worse without any reason isn't "Easy" it's a geniuenely moronic idea.

It's not something "so easy" to not get frustrated over.

No one is saying it's the end of the world, let them vent.

Most importantly just sitting their and acting like nothing wrong is going on isn't exactly a good idea either

@Veloxt1r0kore

Please stop derailing. Thank you.

Then complain to them.

Fair enough i guess, well gonna unfollow this thread since if i continuing here i afraid something bad happen.

Oof. We have to adapt to new changes, huh. Little flexibility is given at the cost of the fancy stuff.

@Kepekley23 Time itself will show us what to do. As long as the forums work well we can adapt to anything FANDOM offers.

If community.wikia.com comes with something that can seamlessly replace forums, we can use their method.

Wait what?

They are getting rid of forums too?

If the announcements function will get enough usual features (not just "highlightning" one thread/blog), then it would be fine. For example, we could make a list of important current stuff and divide it by sections (content revisions, staff discussions, productive members' retirements, informative blogs, etc.).

@Ogurtsow

I have repeatedly tried to convince them to allow several announcements highlights at once, but sadly they adamantly refused.

Playing around with this feature in my personal wiki, just trying to figure out what our options are.

I think Ant's suggestion is the best right now.

Create a intermediate thread which links all the highlight needing threads and may I suggest you also mention the dates when those threads were created adjacent to the links?

Honestly...if the "only one announcement at a time" rule wasn't there, this wouldn't even be that bad of an replacement.

Actually, if it allowed multiple announcements, it would be an improvement considering you can also highlight Blogs with that system, which could prove useful.

What are the reasons why transferring away from Wikia would be unrealistic? I've heard there are wiki sites with server crashes and such, and there might be some which are unrealistic to use just because their name is weird to write (Nothing feels better than being able to spell the entire url of a page of this wikia completely from memory), but are decent candidates that hard to find? What other cons exist?

Sure, sure, I just thought it was something important to talk about since, well, it's an important plan B-reak free if our plan A-dapt fails.

The "adapt" plan is basically a thread in News and Announcements Board, which is constantly an Announcement and locked 99% of the time, listing the names and links to "highlighted" threads on OP (while open and relevant) and on the comments as they become highlighted and as a way to bump them, am I right? Anything else, or a better plan? Such as maybe a script that could be put somewhere to create highlighting while we don't really have it, stuff like that.

Back