• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Avatar and Korra: Lots of ability additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Avatarverse profiles have been lacking powers for quite a while, so this topic has been long overdue.​

• Surface Scaling for earthbenders. The Dai Lee could magnetize themselves to walls and ceilings. The tabletop game indicates that non-Dai Lee earthbenders can do it as well. Toph can use metalbending to run up the sides of buildings.
  • Zuko should have Resistance to Temperature Manipulation. He has learned the breath of fire technique, which allows his internal temperature to stay warm even in freezing temperatures (the guy in the video correctly notes that Zuko couldn’t use it to entirely stay warm in the north pole, but he doesn’t take into account that the cooler feat happened two seasons later when Zuko was wiser, had practiced more, and had learned firebending from the original source of firebending, making him more powerful. Indeed, Zuko in his old age was able to firebend in the middle of a frozen tundra. He should also have a post-series key that includes Limited Flight via using fire propulsion much in the same way that Azula has it in her profile. There should also be a note that states that he knows how to create dragonfire. Whether or not dragonfire is actually hotter than regular fire is debatable, as Aang and Zuko didn’t remark on the dragon’s heat when the funnel surrounded them in The Firebending Masters. Then again, convection schmonvection is liberally applied to the series, what with Toph feeling the heat of the comet-enhanced firebender’s flames, Aang’s glider catching fire in the presence of lava in one episode and the gAang having no problem flying over lava in another. It should be noted that Zuko’s fire included violet flames, and violet fire is the hottest there is. The fire that the dragons produced in The Firebending Masters also included blue flames, and as we’ve seen from Azula, Avatar’s blue fire is indeed hotter than regular fire and can cut through stone.
  • Both Azula and Mako should have Durability Negation thanks to lightningbending. Lightning in Avatar is so dangerous because it passes through your heart if you don’t redirect it. This doesn’t seem to apply to the uncharged version of lightning, which just knocks you on your ass if you get hit by it (see the Mako vs Amon fight or Kemurikage Azula in the comics).
  • Azula should have a post-series key with which she has Stealth Mastery. She and the other members of her Kemurikage entourage use smoke to flee locations and disorient their foes.
  • Aang should have Extrasensory Perception via his seismic sense technique, which was taught to him by Toph. He should also have it via being able to see spirits when no one else can. Korra should also have it via mentally creating a spiritual specter that only she and other spirits can see. Even Jinora, who could see invisible spirits that others couldn’t see, wasn’t able to see Dark Korra during Korra’s fight with Kuvira. Korra should also have extrasensory perception via being able to locate people through spirit vines, though this ability would be limited only to the Foggy Swamp and Republic City.
  • Aang should have a new key for being merged with the Ocean Spirit at the end of Book 1. Likewise, Korra’s Cosmic Korra key should be separated from her avatar state key as the two are nothing alike.
  • Both Korra and Aang should have Soul Manipulation as part of energybending. Energybending should also include Possible Death Manipulation. The way Bryan phrases it ("what he chose to do with it") makes it sound like Aang could have used energybending to kill Ozai if he wanted to. Considering that the lion turtle told Aang that if he failed the process of energybending, his own energy/self would be corrupted and destroyed, it makes sense that Aang could do the same to Ozai once he succeeded at energybending.
  • All avatars should have Lava Manipulation while they’re in the avatar state due to Roku and Kyoshi knowing it and having that knowledge passed down to their next lives. Post-season 2 Korra may not know it though, due to being cut off from that knowledge.
  • Aang and Korra should both have Power Removal and Power Bestowal with energybending. The fact that this isn’t already on their profiles is kind of bonkers.
  • Like Zuko, Mako should get Limited Flight. He can also breathe fire, so that also gives him a Breath Attack.
  • Amon should have Body Puppetry (this one is especially weird because he’s listed under the examples on the body puppetry page, but doesn’t have it in his profile). He should also have Durability Negation via being able to simply crush organs or freeze a person’s blood. Freezing someone’s insides is something that has happened before, as Kyoshi did it in her second novel, and Amon and his family are the strongest non-Avatar waterbenders we’ve seen in the franchise.
  • Speaking of which, Kyoshi should have Durability Negation on her profile because of that feat.
  • Spiritbending should give Unalaq and Korra Non-Physical Interaction, as both of them are able to use the technique to interact with spirits.
  • Both Unalaq and Korra should have Paralysis Inducement to go along with their spiritbending. Every successful usage of spiritbending has the target or targets trapped within the water tendrils, either suspended helplessly or lulled into a lazy state while their spirit/soul is being destroyed or purified. The only times this didn’t happen was the first two times that Korra attempted the technique… and that second time was against a leviathan spirit in the middle of the ocean. Obviously she hadn’t mastered the technique yet.
  • Unavaatu should get Poison Manipulation. At the end of Darkness Falls, him taking off into the sky using the spirit lights generated a shockwave that rendered Korra and her friends unconscious. Kya, an expert healer, says that they need to be taken to spirit water as soon as possible. Spirit water has been shown to have miraculous properties, such as purifying Korra of the remnants of the dark spirit that attacked her earlier in the season, as well as bringing Aang back to life after he was killed by Azula.
  • Zaheer should get Teleportation while he's in the spirit world.
  • Likewise, Korra should also get Teleportation while in the spirit world.
  • Kuvira should have Possible Poison Manipulation. The liquid metal she bends looks very similar to the mercury that Korra was poisoned with. I know this is kind of sketchy, which is why I put “possible”. Even if it’s not mercury, she could bend it into her opponent’s orifices to achieve the same effect as poisoning.
  • For everyone who can project their spirits out of their bodies and into the spirit world (Aang, Korra, Zaheer, Unalaq) their spiritual selves should have Intangibility and Invisibility while in the physical world and regeneration while in the spirit world. It’s unknown if souls have regen in the physical world, as they haven’t been seen attacked there.
  • The avatars should have Limited Reality Warping while in the spirit world. Iroh explains that a person’s emotions affects how the spirit world reacts to them and that this is especially true for the Avatar since they are the bridge between worlds.
  • Korra should have Summoning while in the spirit world. The dragon bird spirit knows where she is whenever she’s in the spirit world. It also saved her when she was about to have her soul destroyed by Unalaq.
  • Along with astral projection, Korra and Zaheer should know Dimensional Travel. Zaheer taught Korra how to meditate and enter the spirit world from any location. Prior to this, it was thought that you had to meditate from sites that were heavy with spiritual energy.
  • Korra should have Limited Resistance to Poison. Though she did eventually succumb to its effects and ultimately required Suyin to save her, she did manage to fight Zaheer while she was suffering from it. When she confronted Zaheer in prison, he states that the poison should have killed her.
  • Resistance to Illusion Creation for Korra. Hundun, the villain of the video game (which is confirmed to be canon; skip to 1:30:00) puts Korra under an illusion that he claims that she will be trapped under “for eternity”. Despite this, Korra breaks out of the illusion for good after turning into her giant spirit form.

Last edited:
Disagree with the magnetism manipulation because there's no mention of the effect being magnetic in nature or the that it has anything to do with magnetism for Toph in the scan seems to be climbing by using her metal bending to create indents in the surface which she uses as footholds. It should all just be added as Surface Scaling rather than Magnetism Manipulation for tophs metal bending

Disagree with the magnetism manipulation because there's no mention of the effect being magnetic in nature or the that it has anything to do with magnetism for Toph in the scan seems to be climbing by using her metal bending to create indents in the surface which she uses as footholds. It should all just be added as Surface Scaling rather than Magnetism Manipulation for tophs metal bending
The guy in the video refers what they're doing as magnetizing themselves though, and this is from the official Avatar youtube channel. You do have a point about Toph though; and I don't think we've seen other earthbenders scale walls and ceilings like the Dai Lee do. Surface scaling could work.

• Amon should have Body Puppetry (this one is especially weird because he’s listed under the examples on the body puppetry page, but doesn’t have it in his profile). He should also have Durability Negation via being able to simply crush organs or freeze a person’s blood. Freezing someone’s insides is something that has happened before, as Kyoshi did it in her second novel, and Amon and his family are the strongest non-Avatar waterbenders we’ve seen in the franchise.
Amon has never shown to be able to do such a thing (especially because not all benders can learn all the sub-bending, as for example, Bolin can't metalband despite being a very strong Earthbender and even after Sue-Yin tried to teach him how to do it. Zuko also can't generate lightning despite being equal to Azula in their final match. Tenzin can't do the Astral Projection thing Jinora can use), so strength alone wouldn't necessarily give you the ability.
  • Spiritbending should give Unalaq and Korra Non-Physical Interaction, as both of them are able to use the technique to interact with spirits.
All bending forms can interact with spirits. We see Avatar Wan directly damaging Vaatu with the bending, and before the age of the Avatar, people were given bending by the Giant Lion Turtles so they'd be able to fight the spirits
  • Korra should have Limited Resistance to Poison. Though she did eventually succumb to its effects and ultimately required Suyin to save her, she did manage to fight Zaheer while she was suffering from it. When she confronted Zaheer in prison, he states that the poison should have killed her.
It should be noted as a resistance to it in her Avatar state, or more specifically, Korra in such position would be forced into the Avatar state as Raava's spirit tries to protect Korra's body from the effects of the metal in her body

Everything else checks out

All bending forms can interact with spirits. We see Avatar Wan directly damaging Vaatu with the bending, and before the age of the Avatar, people were given bending by the Giant Lion Turtles so they'd be able to fight the spirits
I was going to argue with this point, but looking back, I think you're right. The only time we see something pass through a spirit's body is when Bumi threw a knife threw one, and when they possess people.
Amon has never shown to be able to do such a thing (especially because not all benders can learn all the sub-bending, as for example, Bolin can't metalband despite being a very strong Earthbender and even after Sue-Yin tried to teach him how to do it. Zuko also can't generate lightning despite being equal to Azula in their final match. Tenzin can't do the Astral Projection thing Jinora can use), so strength alone wouldn't necessarily give you the ability.
I'm pretty sure he did something to the Lieutenant's insides, considering that we never see the latter after this and Amon's words ("You served me well") indicated that he killed him. I find it hard to believe that just that fall killed him.

I'm pretty sure he did something to the Lieutenant's insides, considering that we never see the latter after this and Amon's words ("You served me well") indicated that he killed him. I find it hard to believe that just that fall killed him.
Amon was bloodbending him and probably also broke his bones in the process (we see Yakon try to do exactly that to Aang to kill him right there), and Amon also threw his lieutenant with great force on the wooden plancks there, so the bloodbending + the impact + the fall might very well killed him

The guy in the video refers what they're doing as magnetizing themselves though, and this is from the official Avatar youtube channel. You do have a point about Toph though; and I don't think we've seen other earthbenders scale walls and ceilings like the Dai Lee do. Surface scaling could work.
Have you considered that the guy in the video may have just misinterpreted the scene and assumed it's magnetism?

I would put it as just Surface Scaling.

Amon was bloodbending him and probably also broke his bones in the process (we see Yakon try to do exactly that to Aang to kill him right there), and Amon also threw his lieutenant with great force on the wooden plancks there, so the bloodbending + the impact + the fall might very well killed him
Oh, were you just arguing against what I said about the ice thing with Amon, and not about the durability negation?
Have you considered that the guy in the video may have just misinterpreted the scene and assumed it's magnetism?

I would put it as just Surface Scaling.
I would assume that Nickelodeon or Avatar studios would fact-check what people say on their official youtube channel.

Oh, were you just arguing against what I said about the ice thing with Amon, and not about the durability negation?
Yeah. Durability negation with bloodbending is perfectly fine as we actually see that happening by both Amon (he killed several wolves with psychic bloodbending even if I would've disregarded the lieutenant scene), and Yakon tried to kill Aang through it too
I would assume that Nickelodeon or Avatar studios would fact-check what people say on their official youtube channel.
Honestly I'm not sure, considering that same guy posted a video about Iroh that basically lacks any understanding about his character and the themes he represent. But I do think surface scaling should be enough, especially since ground isn't magnetic. Only specific metals such as Iron can be magnetic

At the end of the Suki Alone comic Suki is sad in prison and the spirit of Kyoshi pops up to cheer her up and leave. How did Kyoshi know this? Who knows, the safest is vague Extrasensory Perception and Astral Projection with a large range. And not for Angg;

The feat made me do the click, Avatars should have Multiple Selves via their past lives being both the same soul and alt. souls with their own peronalides and experiences. This past selves have their own P&A, and I'm pretty sure Roku showed some clairvoyant BS to show Angg Sozin's Comet, illusions to Jeong Jeong, and minor Pocket Realm Manip in the Spirit World.

The feat made me do the click, Avatars should have Multiple Selves via their past lives being both the same soul and alt. souls with their own peronalides and experiences. This past selves have their own P&A, and I'm pretty sure Roku showed some clairvoyant BS to show Angg Sozin's Comet, illusions to Jeong Jeong, and minor Pocket Realm Manip in the Spirit World.
The past lives can also take their physical form for a short while too since we see Aang becoming Roku in Episode 8, and him becoming Kyoshi in Episode 25 for a short while before they dissapeared and Aang's body returned to normal, though it should be noted it only really happen in very specific circumstances

That's three staff agreeing (four if Damage has no further problem), looks to be accepted.
Yep. When I get the go-ahead to add the abilities, I'll do what Gilad said and add NPI to all the benders. Non-benders can probably have NPI while in the spirit world, as Tenzin's physical self was able to carry Jinora's spirit while in the spirit world.

Also, I was going to unceremoniously add some renders from "Avater: The Last Airbener - The Art of The Animated Series TPB" (which you can find if you look for it), replacing images we have for better ones. But if any of you have more time to do it than me then you're welcome, I have many things vaguely planned for the future that I don't do for a long time.
The past lives can also take their physical form for a short while too since we see Aang becoming Roku in Episode 8, and him becoming Kyoshi in Episode 25 for a short while before they dissapeared and Aang's body returned to normal, though it should be noted it only really happen in very specific circumstances
Well, idk if those aren't illusiones or something like a short connection to the Spirit World.

Well, idk if those aren't illusiones or something like a short connection to the Spirit World.
Roku's definitely isn't. He uses lavabending whereas Aang couldn't do it even in the avatar state at this point. I can see your argument with Kyoshi though

Since we have four staff members' approvals, is it alright if I add the abilities? I think it'd be good if they were added first, and then we figure out what kind of stuff that Ocean Spirit Aang and Cosmic Korra should have before their keys are created.

Last edited:
Since we have four staff members' approvals, is it alright if I add the abilities? I think it'd be good if they were added first, and then we figure out what kind of stuff that Ocean Spirit Aang and Cosmic Korra should have before their keys are created.
Yeah that should be for a separate thread

• Both Azula and Mako should have Durability Negation thanks to lightningbending. Lightning in Avatar is so dangerous because it passes through your heart if you don’t redirect it. This doesn’t seem to apply to the uncharged version of lightning, which just knocks you on your ass if you get hit by it (see the Mako vs Amon fight or Kemurikage Azula in the comics).
This heart attack happens exclusively to the lightningbender due to unproper usage of the the technique, not to the people blasted by it.
Lightning can be plainly blocked by simple physical means, which by itself goes against the idea of durability negation.

This heart attack happens exclusively to the lightningbender due to unproper usage of the the technique, not to the people blasted by it.
Lightning can be plainly blocked by simple physical means, which by itself goes against the idea of durability negation.

I agree with this.

Disagreed. The charged version of lightning has always been treated like it's a dangerous, one-hit kill technique. Aang was straight-up killed by it (or-near-fatally wounded) and had to be revived with spirit water; Zuko barely redirected it at the last second and was still knocked unconscious and wounded; and in The Rise of Kyoshi, Kyoshi notes that she would have been killed by Xu Ping An if it wasn't for the chainmail in her dress.

The rest of the changes have been implemented (except for the aforementioned new keys for Aang and Korra), but I'll hold off on the durability negation for lightningbenders until I get more opinions on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back