• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I created this account just for this debate, so i apologize if i'm not understanding something.

Currently, the Avatar characters are rasted as MHS due to dodging lightning strikes. It was also apparently proven to be real lightning in this thread.

However, that's false.

While the properties are the same, the speed does differ. A lot. I'll explain that by showcasing a few feats where the characters struggle to dodge much slower things.

#1. The Yuyan Archers

As we can see in this video, the Yuyan Archers's arrows take three seconds to travel a relatively small distance.

I have used pixel-scaling to calculate the distance between Aang and the archers, and the results were rather underwhelming.

Aang = 51px = 1.37m (His official height)

Distance between the arrows and Aang = 533px = 14m

The arrows took roughly three seconds to travel fourteen meters. That's about 4.6m/seg, or 16kph. Real life arrows travel at 360 kph, so we already know the arrows are slower than they are in real life.

#2. Korra reacting to an explosio

This feat suffers from an anti-feat right before it.

Avatar runs at 24fps, and the barrel is on-screen for 8 frames in real time before exploding, so Korra had roughly a third of a second to react to the bomb before it exploded, and yet she didn't react in this time period. That's an anti-feat.

#3. Iroh's lightning-redirecting feat

Avatar always uses slow-motion and changes the music to indicate a change from real time to Cinematic Time. This didn't happen when Iroh redirected a lighting, so we know it happened in real-time, yet it was calc'ed at what, a fraction of Mach?

No feats indicate the characters are anything above Supersonic.

Discuss.

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
We already delt with this time after time again.....
When?

The guy seems to be responding to the thread that supposedly dealt with it.

This is a banned topic that's been done to death, please close.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
This is a banned topic that's been done to death, please close.
Again, when?

The OP has already linked the "ATLA Lightning Revisions' thread.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Kep No because all of his arguments have already been brought up before and debunked.
I have read the ATLA Lightning Revisions thread, and none of the stuff he mentions is debunked in there. I'd like the link to the thread where they're debunked.

It's was a recently added discussion rule, "Do not try to downgrade Avatar speeds, they have consistently shown to react to real lightning." As a side note, almost every form of animation, cinematic fight scenes take place in slow motion. Just because backgrounds and/or dialogue moves at normal speed while two characters fight doesn't mean the fight takes place in real time; that should just be treated as lazy writing. Anyway, read that whole thread from top to bottom; this thread is most likely going to be closed.

Anyway, we have consistently downgraded and upgraded the entire verse back and forth and ultimately decided the high end MHS speeds were more accurate and it started to become very problematic for both the staff and the community. So it is very ill-advised and not up for discussion any further.

We created a discussion rule. Not to be rude, but if you made just an account to write this thread and didnt read the discussion rules before writing, I have no words for you. Enjoy your time here, but we discusssed this three times already.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
It's was a recently added discussion rule, "Do not try to downgrade Avatar speeds, they have consistently shown to react to real lightning." As a side note, almost every form of animation, cinematic fight scenes take place in slow motion. Just because backgrounds and/or dialogue moves at normal speed while two characters fight doesn't mean the fight takes place in real time; that should just be treated as lazy writing. Anyway, read that whole thread from top to bottom; this thread is most likely going to be closed.
Yeah, but OP seems to have debunked this. He mentions there's always a clear sign of cinematic time via slow motion and sound effects in the series, but that doesn't happen when Iroh redirects the lightning bolt.

I have seen literally all these reasonings before...

Link the thread, then. I have read the Lightning Revisions thread and i don't know where any of the three reasonings listed in the OP are debunked

@Kepekley We also revised our acceptance of feats via electricity. At the time, we accepted it because it made sense via explaination. Now, due to anything beyond the strength of a lightning bolt being considered the same speed via math I dont wanna get into, it would likely still be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back