• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

ATLA Lightning Bending and Speed Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they can consistently dodge lightning but only in single bolts, they never demonstrate the ability to redirect or dodge multiple MHS attacks which is what combat speed is: the ability to exchange and avoid multiple attacks at a certain speed. The rest of their attacks and the speed at which they fight are consistently Supersonic+ at best if we scale from something like the LoK airplane air battle, the ATLA/LoK ship battles, or the war balloon combat scenes.

Yeah that would be true in most cases, but they haven't shown the ability to keep continuously dodging at MHS unlike most other characters where this is true. They pretty much never get hit by the inital or any single attack (unless they're suprised like Iroh) only getting injured by combinations of attacks or large aoe attacks, which implies a lower combat speed. They are initially unable to tag one another, but their actual combat speed levels out to around Supersonic+ at which point they actually start doing damage to each other which again scales to the other elements' more consistent attack speeds (sorry someone did a calc on the LoK fireball airbattle scene to find the speed somewhere but I can't find it).

Reaction speed is the ability to perceive movements regardless of whether or not those projectiles are faster than them. Some characters have lightspeed reaction speed do to the fact that they can see light move, and are capable of dodging a lightspeed projectile, but they don't necessarily have to be capable of moving their arms or legs at lightspeed to dodge it; otherwise it would scale to combat speed.

In avatar's case, MHS speed is the movements of their arms and legs in combat. Otherwise, simply being able to see a lightning bolt move would be considered MHS+ reaction speed as opposed to MHS. Just explaining the difference between combat and reaction speed.

@DarkDragonMedeus

Ah OK thanks for the explanation. I'm new so that helps clear up a lot of questions. Could someone revise the speed page then? Because the explanation there is not that at all. "Reaction speed is defined as a single movement in a defined timeframe, which a character has been shown capable of. A series of movements in similar timeframes makes this combat speed"

Also though where did they get the arm and leg speed for avatar was it also from the lightning redirection? If so are we just going with the higher end stuff, because there are far more showings of Supersonic+ combat speed against the rest of the elements?

Since the matter mostly seems to have been settles, is anybody in the staff willing to handle these upgrades? A footnote explanation for the verse page, or a new discussion rule would be appreciated as well.

I vaguely recall that it was calculated long ago, but I am not certain.

But that's the one where he runs to catch the lightning which we discussed is probably an outlier. Not sure if that calc uses Zuko's running as part of the calc. Otherwise I don't have a problem with it but it'd be better either way to use a different feat. Just my two cents, I'm not an expert of calcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back