• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

AP via Jumping

XitSign

He/Him
Quick and to the point, I remember a while back while discussing a rather large character, someone brought up that their ability to jump may be able to prove AP via either Potential Energy or Kinetic Energy (I can't quite remember which).

I wanted to ask, is this true? And if so how would we calculate said values?

Dunno if we would use that, but:
Potential energy = mass * acceleration (9.807 for Earth) * height
Say a 65kg person jumped one meter in the air (A pretty high jump actually):
65kg * 9.807 m/s^2 * 1m = 637.445 joules

To actually lift yourself off the ground, you would need to accelerate yourself faster than the Earth is pulling you down, so a minimum velocity of 9.807 m/s.
65kg / 2 * 9.807 m/s^2 = ~3,125.761 joules

But I'm pretty sure we do not use this kind of calc to find out AP.

Well...considering it's on our list of common feats (the distances are extreme but still) I suppose it would be somewhat viable, depending on what values I'd end up getting...

One of the characters that brought this into mind for me was someone who has used their weight and jumping ability offensively, so I believe there's an argument to be made that 'tanking' the jump would apply.

so I believe there's an argument to be made that 'tanking' the jump would apply.
I mean, Newton's Third Law of Motion states that every action has an opposing equal force , so it often makes sense that a character's Durability scales to their physical attacks, otherwise their body may break apart from the automatic counterforce. If it is explicitly stated that is how they attack, then it can probably be used.

I think if they can use their jump as a charge attack, like a vertical ram, than kinectic energy should be fine

No harm in trying to calc it then, if it gets rejected...it gets rejected, and the calc team can clear up where I went wrong with my assumptions on the context.

This has been a lot of help either way, thank you all.

Back