• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Annoying Fodder 2 (Roach vs Hobgoblin)

...It didn't even click that I could be doing 'CEO of sex' jokes with the Hobgoblin, thank you for opening my eyes.

If I'm doing my math correctly, the base AP is a pretty close cut, Hobgoblins scale to Mistrain being able to control natural lightning while the Roaches seem to scale to about 1,199,971,200 joules based on the High Templar's vaproization. That's about 1.33x in Hobgoblin's favor so...basically nothing.

Hobgoblin does have a passive 2x that would trigger here and the Roaches have no way of nulling, so that's a 2.666x difference in Hobgoblin's favor...Still not a lot, but more valuable considering that it's outnumbered here.

I don't know a ton about Starcraft, but from the profile it seems like them being 'Roaches' means these ones can't use the Summoning or Bio Manip abilities...but since there's only 1 Hobgoblin it's not exactly valuable.

The acid spit is a LOT more valuable however, Hobgoblin probably doesn't have a reason to resist it (there ARE PAD monsters with acid manip, but they'd oneshot Hobgoblin so hard to know if a resistance would even had justification to scale). Hobgoblin's Type 2 Immortality might be able to help surviving it, but it's not exactly great news...Hobgoblin can Heal off Orbs and restore itself with 'Pouring Fighting Spirit', as well as reduce damage with Damage Reducers, but those are probably only more valuable for healing off melee damage, less so the acid.

Hobgoblin's forcefields might be more valuable as a counter, as long as its using Heal Orbs to keep them strengthened, the Roaches will need to shatter the shield before the acid will have much of an affect on anything. Considering Hobgoblin's active skill is an Orb refresh, it's not an unreasonable strategy, just also not 100% airtight that they'd be able to keep it up all the time.

The Roach's regen is honestly kinda rough on Hobgoblin too, but it seems like they need to be eating to use it, so it's only combat applicable if they back off to burrow. Hobgoblin's base AP advantage is only slight, but the Damage Boosting of Orbs, Combos, and the Super Big Blade's 2x (So about a 5.332x with that attack alone) can probably start dealing some more meaningful damage that might force the Roaches to activate their regeneration or might overpower them.

They do outnumber Hobgoblin though, and that's very valuable. Mass Attack can hit both at once, AND would require an Orb combo which would further boost the power of the attack, but that still doesn't totally negate the advantage of this being a two on one.

Also...Hobgoblins aren't 'special' in any way combat-wise, but they're at least sentient and competent fighters. They know how to fight on at least a basic level and can manipulate the Orbs to keep their combat varied with a number of abilities, compared to the Roach's lack of sentience.

I think regardless of who you lean this is a high-diff matchup. Hobgoblin has a slightly AP advantage that can be multiplied to be an actually kinda scary advantage, an AOE, the ability to heal, reduce damage, and create protective forcefields, and tank deathly blows thanks to Type 2 Immortality, and better intelligence and skill, but the Roaches have the numbers advantage and their acid is a strong wincon if it lands without being shielded and blocked and healed off properly, and if they aren't wailed on to kill them they can bounce back pretty decently if they can escape underground. I think though because Hobgoblin actively refreshes Orbs as it's main ability and has the intelligence to fight smarter, the stockpile of Healing Orbs can let it block the Acid more often than let it through to give the roaches their best wincon, giving Hobgoblin the time to use it's hardest hitting moves with combo multipliers to either crush them one by one or hit them with a strong enough AOE to take them both out.

I vote Hobgoblin but...VERY high diff. The roaches definitely overpower and dissolve it a decent number of MUs...

Yeah the Roach ain't got the versatility and intelligence to get a reliable amount of wins here, Hobogoblin FRA. (StarCraft pages are heavily outdated right now but I guess some traction for the verse doesn't hurt)

And just to get this concluded

Ned Leeds FRA

And that's grace, thank you everyone

{Also in case you're wondering, this is allowed based on this thread}

Back