• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Animation Hot Takes

9Rh3HX8.png

Speaking of Pokemon, I ranked every Pokemon series from worst to best.

I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of shit for this.
That's pretty much my list tbh, I didn't like the BW anime but it did have some redeeming qualities (most notably Team Rocket and anytime Cynthia, Dawn or N were on screen).

Pokémon Journeys is (imo) a failed attempt to emulate the nostalgia undertones of the XY anime, to make up for the lack of content in the base games (Both the Kalos and Galar regions were pretty barren with pretty forgettable routes and dungeons) but while the nostalgic undertones in the XY anime felt sincere as a means of making up for backlash caused by Gen 5 while still mainly focusing on the Kalos region, in Pokémon Journeys it feels ham-fisted as a cheap means to gain attention while the show regularly forgets about the Galar region (The Darkest Day was resolved surprisingly early on with zero lasting impact).

On a side note I might need to rewatch Pokémon Advance, since I always view it as a good series but the only thing I can remember from it is that infamous "Thunder Armour" episode where Ash beats Tate and Liza using literal plot armour. It still makes me laugh to this day lol!

Not funny I didn't laugh. Your joke is so bad I would have preferred the joke went over my head and you gave up re-telling me the joke. To be honest this is a horrid attempt at trying to get a laugh out of me. Not a chuckle, not a hehe, not even a subtle burst of air out of my esophagus. Science says before you laugh your brain preps your face muscles but I didn't even feel the slightest twitch. 0/10 this joke is so bad I cannot believe anyone legally allowed you to be creative at all. The amount of brain power you must have put into that joke has the potential to power every house on Earth. Get a personality and learn how to make jokes, read a book. I'm not saying this to be funny I genuinely mean it on how this is just bottom barrel embarrassment at comedy. You've single handedly killed humor and every comedic act on the planet. I'm so disappointed that society has failed as a whole in being able to teach you how to be funny. Honestly if I put in all my power and time to try and make your joke funny it would require Einstein himself to build a device to strap me into so I can be connected to the energy of a billion stars to do it, and even then all that joke would get from people is a subtle scuff. You're lucky I still have the slightest of empathy for you after telling that joke otherwise I would have committed every war crime in the book just to prevent you from attempting any humor ever again. We should put that joke in text books so future generations can be wary of becoming such an absolute comedic failure. Im disappointed, hurt, and outright offended that my precious time has been wasted in my brain understanding that joke. In the time that took I was planning on helping kids who have been orphaned, but because of that you've waisted my time explaining the obscene integrity of your terrible attempt at comedy. Now those kids are suffering without meals and there's nobody to blame but you. I hope you're happy with what you have done and I truly hope you can move on and learn from this piss poor attempt
It wasn't my joke. Now your whole paragraph wasn't funny and didn't make sense. You carefully constructed your villain monologue still got exposed like an absolute buffoon. You lowly, insignificant cur.

This is gonna turn into an exclusive thread for anime hot takes, isn't it?

- Episodic cartoons >>> Serialized cartoons

- Avatar: TLA is amazing and all, but I don't think it's a top 5 Nicktoon

- I might sound like an asshole for this, but: If you complain about the exaggerated facial expressions in SpongeBob's current episodes, but you like OK K.O, then you shouldn't be complaining about exaggerated faces to begin with

- SpongeBob didn't really go through a "downfall"

- Invader Zim is kinda overrated

Thank you!

Avatar: TLA is amazing and all, but I don't think it's a top 5 Nicktoon
Agreed on this.

I might sound like an asshole for this, but: If you complain about the exaggerated facial expressions in SpongeBob's current episodes, but you like OK K.O, then you shouldn't be complaining about exaggerated faces to begin with
Also true.

I need you to elaborate on this.

Haven't watched it in a while, so can't give a strong opinion on this.

Overall: Very based takes.

This is gonna turn into an exclusive thread for anime hot takes, isn't it?

- Avatar: TLA is amazing and all, but I don't think it's a top 5 Nicktoon

- I might sound like an asshole for this, but: If you complain about the exaggerated facial expressions in SpongeBob's current episodes, but you like OK K.O, then you shouldn't be complaining about exaggerated faces to begin with

1. Gotta go. Serialized cartoons are the best types.
2. Fair but gotta disagree.
3. Agreed.
4. It was never that good to begin with.
5. Maybe I should rewatch it because my nostalgia is telling me it was top 5 Nick shows.

These three shows get grouped together a lot so I’m curious how would you rank them

Steven Universe
The Owl House
Amphibia
All three of them are like 7/10's at best.

But if I had to rank them:

Amphibia
The Owl House
Steven Universe

All of these shows are decent, but I seriously think their fanbase overrate the shit out of them (except for maybe Amphibia). Steven Universe had some of the most inconsistent and questionable writing throughout it's tail end, and The Owl House... well, that show just doesn't interest me.

The problem I have with modern serialized cartoons is that they all feel the same (especially the ones from Disney). Every one of them just feels like they're taking the plot from a serialized cartoon they took inspiration/influence from, and twist it a little bit so it can be considered "original." It doesn't help that the cartoon community eats this shit up like it's one of the most revolutionary things in animation.

These shows, while decent, aren't anything special.

It wasn't my joke. Now your whole paragraph wasn't funny and didn't make sense. You carefully constructed your villain monologue still got exposed like an absolute buffoon. You lowly, insignificant cur.
you missed an and
These three shows get grouped together a lot so I’m curious how would you rank them

Steven Universe
The Owl House
Amphibia
all trash, dog tier, doo doo, -10/10

Ed,edd n eddy> the rest of cartoon network
Came back to say this is not it. Ed, Edd, N Eddy consistently had amazing humor and knew when to end, never dragging it out and an amazing ending to boot. However, it's hard to say without a doubt it is the best. It had no lows but it's highs were not as good as other highs. Top 10? Yes. Top 5? Go ahead. The greatest show on the greatest cartoon platform? (I said it) You can't go there.

Last edited:
And one last thing, Over The Garden Wall is the most underrated show in animation history. EoD. I thought the show would be mid but it gave me Adv. Time like vibes (before the dropoff). Now to be fair I haven't finished it but if I'm already recommending it, that says something.

Came back to say this is not it. Ed, Edd, N Eddy consistently had amazing humor and knew when to end, never dragging it out and an amazing ending to boot. However, it's hard to say without a doubt it is the best. It had no lows but it's highs were not as good as other highs. Top 10? Yes. Top 5? Go ahead. The greatest show on the greatest cartoon platform? (I said it) You can't go there.
TOP 3 .

Few hot takes of my own:

* I dislike DBZ Vegeta for almost the entire DBZ series. Was an alright villain but a trash protagonist (yes that's right I said it. Hot take indeed)

* Sonic 06's story isn't all that bad. If it weren't for the terrible gameplay it wouldn't be as hated as it is now

* At the time Shadow made his debut in SA2, he was the best written Sonic character

* The Sonic Live-Action Movies versions of the Sonic Trio (Sonic, Tails & Knuckles) are some of the best in the entire series, as well as Eggman

* Pokémon Sun & Moon the Series is really underrated. Is the best Pokémn series in terms of character development and even story

* Pokémon Black & White are my favorite games in the franchise. Had the best combination of story, character, gameplay and soundtrack

* Legend of Korra for the most part is actually pretty good (aside from most of Season 2 and some parts of Season 1)

* Speaking of Avatar, I'm glad Zutara isn't canon (another hot take lol). Kataang and Maiko are way better for the two of them

* While Pre-Movie Spongebob was the best, I would lie if I say there are no good episodes after that

*Samurai Jack is a better "western" anime than ATLA.
I should watch Samurai Jack to see where I stand on that...

*Sonic OVA is the best 2D animated interpretation of the main trio (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles) we ever gotten.
Facts on facts.

*Young Justice isn't as great as most would rate it. Most of the characters are either boring or wasted potential, the show suffers hard from a bloated cast and the juxtaposition between the different sub-plots isn't nuanced at all.
Yeah, I can definitely see that. And yeah, the cast is more bloated than Tankman Luffy suffering gastrointestinal issues.

*The Pokémon anime is hard carried by nostalgia and brand power (kinda like Disney). Only long running shows can get away with having they cake and eating it by being serialised, episodic and seasonal all at the same time. Essentially a cheap excuse for filler.
This.

JLU is more bloated than YJ

YJ Tim Drake > DCAU Tim Drake

Pre TNBA Bruce> Post TNBA Bruce in terms of character barring epilogue

I actually hate that this is a hot take nowadays.

Staying on-topic though, I hate how nowadays the first season of a cartoon is always so whimsical and childish, but at like season 3, it suddenly turns really serious and starts having random lore and dramatic stuff happen. Did anyone else notice this trend?
I've been noticing that too. It's honestly getting boring asf. Almost every modern serialized cartoon is like this. It's the same regurgitated bullshit every time.

And the cartoon community eats this shit up, and calls any show that is episodic childish or immature.

Back