• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Animation Hot Takes

RandomGuy2345

He/Him
Post your hot takes on animation here. Anything animation related is welcomed! Try not to get toxic though, pls.

is this about animation as in being an animator/animating, animation hot takes on animated products (e.g. cartoons, anime) or a mixture of both?

Ok, I’ll start, Teen Titans GO is miles better a show than people give it credit for

yes I know it has dumb toilet humour

yes I know the original is better in every way

YES I know CN gives it way too much airtime

but if you strip all the contextual issues the show has it’s a decent 5.5/10 (maybe 6/10) but your favourite account on Twitter will probably tell you it’s a 2/10 because it’s a kids show that makes fart jokes (shocker)

oh and the movie was great, easy 7.5/10 if not 8, really pleasant surprise considering how many times people have failed to make “candyfloss” cartoons into feature length films with coherent plots

I'll list mine off:
  • Johnny Test is the most overhated show ever (it's pretty obvious that I would say this)
  • My Life As A Teenage Robot is a top 5 Nickelodeon show
  • Fairly OddParents is hella underappreciated
  • The Isekai genre isn't that bad
  • Shonen anime can get confusing asf with the amount of bullshit abilities the characters are getting
  • Kill La Kill is the best show Studio Trigger made (though Gurren Lagann is a close second)
  • Gurren Lagann is the best mecha anime
  • ATLA is definitely a good-great show, but I don't think it's one of the greatest cartoons ever
  • Serialized shows in general are hella overrated. Just because a show has an overarching plot doesn't make it automatically better than episodic (I've legit seen some people dismiss good animated shows just because it doesn't have an overarching plot)
That's all I have for now.

Ok, I’ll start, Teen Titans GO is miles better a show than people give it credit for

but if you strip all the contextual issues the show has it’s a decent 5.5/10 (maybe 6/10) but your favourite account on Twitter will probably tell you it’s a 2/10 because it’s a kids show that makes fart jokes (shocker)

oh and the movie was great, easy 7.5/10 if not 8, really pleasant surprise considering how many times people have failed to make “candyfloss” cartoons into feature length films with coherent plots
I'd honestly give the show a 5/10, but I somewhat agree here. TTG is definitely overhated, though some of it's hate is definitely justified.

The 2 movies the show had were great. I certainly agreed here.

My whole vibe seems to “Overhated popular media with a fan base that damn near if not does warrant the hate”

• Genshin
  • SU
  • Danganronpa

My whole vibe seems to “Overhated popular media with a fan base that damn near if not does warrant the hate”

• Genshin
  • SU
  • Danganronpa
My vibe is "Overhated media with a small fanbase that's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be."

I really like Danganronpa though, so based comment.

Speaking of TTG (Though I hate this show to oblivion) do you intend on making the profiles for them?

Natsume yuujinchou is a great work that deserves more recognition.

Ghost in the shell (animated series) is better than the movie

• Youjo Senki is the best isekai
  • in general, combat scenes are the most boring part of any show
  • Sonic Team makes better cartoons than games nowadays
nothing much else really

Oh also not a hot take but I HATE THE DANGANRONPA THH ANIME SO MUCH

turns out trying to take a 25 hour game with very little filler post the opening chapter and adapting it into a 4.6 hour anime is a bad idea

I can say that the show is a fun interpretation of the DC universe when I was a bit younger I did just spend days laying on the couch watching those day-long airings

Going back on it now yeah it's alright I had calcs for the series but I fell asleep in the middle of and my work didn't save B) also booster gold is canon to that universe which idk if I should be scared or be proud they got the lad in

Ok back to hot takes

- Regular Show is good, but does not belong in the weight category most people have it in

- Ash Ketchum is an enjoyable protagonist

- The Incredibles is ridiculously overhyped as a film, and the sequel is, while as meh as everyone says it is, not a considerable downgrade. Both are good/fine, Incredibles 1 a 7.75/10 Incredibles 2 a 6/10, but neither are groundbreaking nor anywhere near Pixar’s best.

FROZEN 2 SPOILERS BELOW

- Frozen 2 was a 10/10 movie until the 3/10 resolution came along, Elsa died, cool, Olaf died, cool, Arendale is gonna be destroyed, cool. But NONE of these actually last even like 25 minutes. I can get Elsa and maybe Arendale surviving but they made 3 major sacrifices, gave Anna a great song as she coped with the grief, and then had a generic happy ever after and scrubbed all that character development away. Olaf should’ve stayed dead to signify the sisters moving on both past their childhood but each other and their adventures across the two films if you really wanna make the ending where Elsa leaves work.

Toradora is a bad romance anime.
Saint seiya The og has one of the best 80's aniamtion ngl [only matched with Fist of the north star].
Jojo part 1 is easily the worst part. Part 2 had better fights than part 3 [expect some].
Toriko deserved a better adaptation.
Bleach has worst fight scenes than naruto.
Goku is a better character than naruto tbh.
One peice has the worst transformation and fights out of the big three.
Kim possible is underrated ngl.
Byakogan is underrated.
[God of war desveres an anime]

Oh also not a hot take but I HATE THE DANGANRONPA THH ANIME SO MUCH

turns out trying to take a 25 hour game with very little filler post the opening chapter and adapting it into a 4.6 hour anime is a bad idea
Kinda related to this the “The World Ends With You” anime adaption is the worst way to experience that story.

Back