• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Animation Hot Takes

SU and She-Ra get so much praise for their redemption arcs (especially She-Ra), but the fandoms fail to realize how blatantly ****** some of those redemptions are.

The only time a redemption arc in SU was ever good was Peridot's redemption arc, and (maybe) Lapis and Bismuth, but even then, the Lapis' arc never really reached a conclusion imho.

Don't get me started on The Diamonds...

For She-Ra, the fans were so caught up in shipping Adora and Catra that they didn't realize how abusive Catra was. She literally almost destroyed the whole world over Adora. But "SeXy CAt GiRl ABuSiNG/tORrTuRInG hEr CRuSh Is SOoOoO hOt😩"
This. A good redemption arc should be something that isn't immediate. Look at Vegeta in Dragon Ball, for example. His transition from an evil dude to a hero was a gradual thing that happened over the course of several chapters, episodes, and story arcs. Not only was it not rushed, but it was a natural progression that went in line with his character, with other characters like Future Trunks, Bulma, Kid Trunks, Frieza, and Goku all having an impact on how his character developed. None of his interactions throughout those arcs were super forced or Toriyama trying way too hard to turn him into a good guy too soon.

Speaking of Dragon Ball, Frieza is a good example of a character that the authors don't try to redeem. We see Goku attempt to do that, or at least give the guy a chance to walk away, during the Frieza Saga. However, he kept showing he had no desire to change. Even in the Tournament of Power, which ended with him developing respect for Goku to the point where he could work with him to defeat Jiren, he says once he's revived that he has no intention of giving up his evil ways. You can keep your villains villainous but give them character development.

This. A good redemption arc should be something that isn't immediate. Look at Vegeta in Dragon Ball, for example. His transition from an evil dude to a hero was a gradual thing that happened over the course of several chapters, episodes, and story arcs. Not only was it not rushed, but it was a natural progression that went in line with his character, with other characters like Future Trunks, Bulma, Kid Trunks, Frieza, and Goku all having an impact on how his character developed. None of his interactions throughout those arcs were super forced or Toriyama trying way too hard to turn him into a good guy too soon.
That's quite the opposite for me, Vegeta redemption is outta nowhere for me, like when he became the good guy and rival in Cell Saga, i was like "wait, he's now a good guy?"
Speaking of Dragon Ball, Frieza is a good example of a character that the authors don't try to redeem. We see Goku attempt to do that, or at least give the guy a chance to walk away, during the Frieza Saga. However, he kept showing he had no desire to change. Even in the Tournament of Power, which ended with him developing respect for Goku to the point where he could work with him to defeat Jiren, he says once he's revived that he has no intention of giving up his evil ways. You can keep your villains villainous but give them character development.
But this i agree with, sometime an allies don't need to be a redeemed villain

That's quite the opposite for me, Vegeta redemption is outta nowhere for me, like when he became the good guy and rival in Cell Saga, i was like "wait, he's now a good guy?"
That development was kind of largely due to the presence of Future Trunks, the way I see it.

But this i agree with, sometime an allies don't need to be a redeemed villain
Vegeta was never really a good guy in Cell Saga. From him letting Cell go through his transformation, to his attitude towards the cast you could see he wasn't a great guy. Earth was just a very advanced civilization and he liked Bulma.

Inazuma Eleven will always be my favorite soccer media (until maybe I watch/read Blue Lock or Captain Tsubasa but I doubt even either of these can overtake Inazuma Eleven in my heart.).

Dunno if this is a hot take or not, but, legitimately, just gonna say it:

Inazuma Eleven, the original anime, is the best sports anime of all time.

The characters, the music, the moves, everything just fits so perfectly that it's impossible to stop watching it. It's a childish nonsensical anime at times but that actively plays to its advantage to increase your emersion into the games it portrays. I say this with 100%, with 1000%, Inazuma Eleven is hands down a masterpiece and is >>>> your fav sports series.

The characters, the music, the moves, everything just fits so perfectly that it's impossible to stop watching it. It's a childish nonsensical anime at times but that actively plays to its advantage to increase your emersion into the games it portrays. I say this with 100%, with 1000%, Inazuma Eleven is hands down a masterpiece and is >>>> your fav sports series.
If your gonna get into it though, watch the SUB, the DUB is actual dogshit and it makes my ears hurt.

This is blazing hot. I love Hajime No Ippo too much to say this with zero doubts. Those two are untouched when it comes to sports tho. I love Haikyuu, Slam Dunk, Prince of Tennis, Major etc etc but they aren't on the same level.

This is blazing hot. I love Hajime No Ippo too much to say this with zero doubts. Those two are untouched when it comes to sports tho. I love Haikyuu, Slam Dunk, Prince of Tennis, Major etc etc but they aren't on the same level.
Honestly, Hajime No Ippo and Slam Dunk are up there. But Inazuma Eleven still outranks them for me, on a personal level.

Honestly, Hajime No Ippo and Slam Dunk are up there. But Inazuma Eleven still outranks them for me, on a personal level.
Same but for me it's just too close for me to look back with no regrets. I wish I could watch those series for the first time again man.

Hearing that OG intro for the first time was bliss.
Based take.

GO! and all of it's sequels, IMO, went to far out with the supernatural aspect of the game. The anime was always unreasonable and unrealistic but it still maintained that sliver of realism which made it fun. In GO! we have mfs summoning literal STANDS and destroying MOONS with SOCCER BALLS.

4th Wall Breaks and the Zombification of The Simpsons has had an abhorrent effect on writers for western animated properties, and even other industries that feature a similar premise.

Animation Software being subscription based is a cancer. (Toon Boom, Adobe)

Subscriptions in general are a cancer.

Futurama (Pre Revival) and The Boondocks (Pre Season 4) are the best Western based properties.

Apology not accepted.
How about a Sprite?

71j38PqSNTL.jpg

Back