• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An itty bitty, teeny tiny thing revision (Of the John Carpenter variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Thing's durability needs to be altered a bit. Currently it says
  • Varies from Below Average Human level to Building level (Survived the explosion of the whole base and managed to regenerate), Regeneration makes it incredibly hard to kill (If you don´t destroy every single cell it will regenerate)
The problem here is that justification. At 1:38 we see the explosion of the "whole base" is actually what killed it, so even if the explosion is 8-C (which I kinda doubt) the Thing didn't survive it so that justification goes the way of the dodo. The Thing's durability should just scale to it's AP giving it the following new rating
  • Varies from Below Average Human level to Wall level, Regeneration makes it incredibly hard to kill (If you don´t destroy every single cell it will regenerate)

I forgot I made this, whoops.

That's a bit misleading there Stalker. The other pages you neglected to show make it clear that the Thing wasn't actually in that explosion. Mac was trying to blow up another ship that the Thing was building and the Thing popped up from under the ground after the explosion died down. The best we could probably get from the comics are high end 9-B, maybe baseline 9-A.

I forgot I made this, whoops.

That's a bit misleading there Stalker. The other pages you neglected to show make it clear that the Thing wasn't actually in that explosion. Mac was trying to blow up another ship that the Thing was building and the Thing popped up from under the ground after the explosion died down. The best we could probably get from the comics are high end 9-B, maybe baseline 9-A.
My apologies, I haven't read the comics the in awhile, I was just pulling whatever scans I had. Wonder if he can get a tier via how ******* big he is in the comics but that's a thread for a different time. Also if we don't know if he survived it, then I'm fine with likely 8-C at best

Didn't The Thing survive in the tie-in game? Actually, can we use the game for canon feats?

I haven't played nor seen a full playthrough of the game, but from what I've read several aspects of it seem to contradict the movie so I'm loathe to use it as a source for feats.

If they're contradictory, how does that affect it?
The game and comics contradict each other, but not the movie as far as I know. Which means we either ignore one or assume both are equally valid and give them a possibly rating if needed.

As for the feat that's not a valid 8-C reasoning. Being gibbed/blasted to pieces by an explosion means you do not scale to it. It just means whatever was blasted to pieces has a decent healing factor or survivability factor.

EDIT: We should also mention that the Thing doesn't auto-regenerate. The cells can just consume and change other cells to it. Leave one alone in the middle of nowhere and it won't grow into a flesh blob by itself.

We don't even know what happened to him in the explosion though, we aren't even shown it. We just know he survived it because of the sequels

wouldn't being obliterated by the explosion and only surviving because of cellular-level regen not warrant the durability rating?

Yeah I can agree to the size thing, but if an explosion that's like 8-C blew it up it definitely should NOT scale to that

Its napalm not a high explosive. What makes it dangerous is fire and heat not explosive power. Its not getting a 8-C rating due to that.

Do we have a valid way to calc the AP of it via size or are we leaving it as baseline 9-A?

We have a way to calc it, but only for scaled up real forms. That version of the Thing isn't based on a real life creature so you would need to calc the mass, which I wouldn't know how to do. So the suggested rating
Attack Potency: Varies from Below Average Human level (Individual cells) to Wall level (A heavely deformed one punched down a door plus part of a wall . One while on fire and not as mutated broke down a wooden wall ) to at least Small Building level (Created a form that dwarfed a hanger and the surrounding forest), potentially higher via assimilation (Was going to separate itself into several microscopic beings and infect every living organism on earth if it managed to touch the sea), can bypass durability by assimilating other organisms (If it touches an organism, its cells will devour the cells of the victim and perfectly mimic them)

Speed: Varies from Below Average Human to Super Human, Potentially higher by assimilating animals

Lifting Strength: Varies from Below Average to Super Human, Potentially higher by assimilating animals
The one thing I'm unsure of is striking strength and durability and if it should be this
Striking Strength: Varies from Below Average Human Class to at least Small Building Class, Potentially higher by assimilating animals

Durability: Varies from Below Average Human level to Small Building level, Regeneration makes it incredibly hard to kill (If you don´t destroy every single cell it will regenerate)
Or this
Striking Strength: Varies from Below Average Human Class to at least Wall Class, Potentially higher by assimilating animals

Durability: Varies from Below Average Human level to at least Wall level, Regeneration makes it incredibly hard to kill (If you don´t destroy every single cell it will regenerate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back