• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Almighty Skills Revision

Let's just get this over with.

It has been brought to attention once again, in the recent Persona revisions, that there has yet to be a fully accepted categorization for the type of negation that Almighty skills fall under. So let's all just settle it now, and henceforth use this thread as proof of our consensus.

Does Almighty fall under Resistance Negation, Durability Negation, or some other form of categorization that may or may not even exist on this wiki but would fit the description of Almighty perfectly?

Hmm....Almighty doesn't bypass Raw Dura as it does Barriers like Tetrakahrn and Makarakahrn and since it doesn't have an element(I'm assuming we're talking about Megidoloan, Black Viper, those type of Almighty Skills) it doesn't deal with any of the resistances. I'd just put Barrier Negation via Almighty for now.

Almighty bypasses everything except raw durability, which is why I still wonder why people think it's durability negation. SMT peeps use resistance negation, something I've even asked about in this thread. I just need the classification to become "official" already so that I have an excuse to start revising every Persona profile to change dura neg to resist neg.

Almighty attacks are absolutely affected by conventional defense in the games if that means anything, using concentrated megidolaon on slimes vs the twin wardens in p5 are gonna yield different numbers.

Since there are different types of almighty skills, I'd wouldn't think of it as Almighty Skills as a group but specific skills. For Example Spirit Drain does Bypass all defenses and is an almighty attack, but is clearly absorption, while Megidoloan just goes through barriers.

Almighty attacks aren't all the same, but they do all have more or less the same gimmick: ignoring elemental magical resistances, which by itself qualifies as Resistance Negation.

Do they ignore dura? Most of them wouldn't, because a lot of them, like Megido, Megidola etcetera are just magical energy beams, blasts, balls and stuff like that, which is further supported by the fact that their power and amount of damage can be increased and decreased with some skills.

Others, like Life, Spirit, Energy and Soul Drain would ignore dura just by the virtue of being just that: absorption, especially if it can drain abstract things like Life and Souls, even if in the games they aren't really any different from other Almighty attacks, but that may just be a resistance that demons have in general.

So Almighty in general is Resistance Negation, but status-effect-inducing Almighty spells are also Durability Negation on top of that?

Status Effects do ignore durability, as they are usually stuff like PowerNull, Mind/Emphatic/Sleep Hax, Paralisys Inducement, etcetera.

If they are a side effect of offensive skill, like a Magical Attack that has a 40% chance of inflicting charm or something, then even if the attack itself does low damage, the status effect still applies. The only time it doesn't is if the attack itself gets Dodged, Nullified, Repelled or Drained first, or if the target has a direct Resistance to that Status Effect, or to Status Effects in general.

Almighty attacks, just like Piercing Skills, can Bypass Elemental Damage Resistance, Attack Nullification, Attack Reflection, and Attack Absorption.

There are some Demons in the series that can, through special skills or just manually, Resist/Null/Repel/Drain Almighty Magic.

I can't believe the wiki doesn't have something like "Barrier/Defense/Protection Negation". Because that would be perfect for describing the part of Almighty attacks that bypass stuff like Makarakarn.

Tbf I can only think of Pokémon and SMT that would have the use for this ability, if more verses have abilities similar to this, then a page for it should be made.

I agree with the stuff stated above about them not ignoring durability, but want to add a bit more to what they bypass that just elemental stuff:

Almighty attacks can bypass magical barriers, and maybe magic resistance/reflection (they can bypass the barrier type skills, and Makarakarn in particular is often described as being a barrier that reflects all types of magic.)

In games where physical/gun almighty attacks exist, they can bypass those resistances/reflects/absorbs as well, which would be bypassing resistance to physical attacks, more specifically: cutting, blunt force, piercing, and bullets.

Almighty Magic can also bypass Barries that can Repel Physical Attacks, like Tetrakarn.

Not to mention the fact that when it comes to Resistances and Negations, SMT has more layers than Shrek's onions:

Barriers and Elemental Affinities can be bypassed by Piercing Attacks and Almighty Magic, which can potentially be blocked by some skills as well as more specific Barriers, and then there is like a Demon that can potentially use Piercing Almighty Attack in Dx2 which is pure cancer to fight against

What about how Almighty bypasses the -karn spells? Barrier Negation (even though that's not a thing)?

Almighty attacks by default bypass Elemental Resistances, Attack Nullification, Attack Reflection (which includes Barriers like Makarakarn and Tetrakarn) and Attack Absorption.

Those in SMT are all seen as different degrees of "Resistances". If you want, you can further specify this in the characters' profiles, like this:

"Resistance Negation (with Almighty Spells, which can bypass Elemental Resistances, Attack Nullification, Attack Reflection/Reflecting Forcefields and Attack Absorption)"

A similar case would be for Piercing Attacks.

That should work fine. We should get started on updating the many, many, many, profiles then.

Yeah. I also noticed that many demons and characters don't have Magic listed on their profiles, which 90% of skills are based on in the games.

Saikou makes sense to me. Resistance negation is probably fine.

Back