• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Aizen vs Madara - Who is better-written character?

I think Madara was at his best when he was simply the 2nd strongest shinobi in history and the most powerful of the Uchiha Clan. When he first appeared as an Edo is one of the best first impressions I'd ever seen for a character.

However, when it was revealed that he was behind the Moon's Eye Plan, it kind of killed it for me. I think I'd have liked it better if he were just an extremely powerful Edo being used by Obito.

Sometimes, the simpler character role is better.

it sounds like you guys just dont like the fact that madara is a strong guy who is crazy smart. Also madara is basically the one who taught Pain those beliefs since Obito learned from madara. Madara does what ever it takes. Also people tipcally get Madara confused with a villain. He is a anti villain. Matter effect he really isnt even evil based on his beliefs and Minatos. He is just realist who sees the world for what it truly is and understands that it cant be changed without a few cracked eggs

@Astral

No, I don't have problem with Madara being intelligent. My problem stems from how everything around him is setup and what is done with character. Also, please remember, that I'm not saying that Madara is bad character. This is just how I felt about him and how he was developed.

Madara since he was mentioned was hyped to be an extremely powerful shinobi. Someone that took the First Hokage to even defeat. Someone whose power such that his name alone invoked the 4th Great Shinobi War. A person described as a monster by Oonoki, who actually fought him. The question now became 'Will he deliver on all of this this?'

Skip to the him fighting (Read: CURBSTOMPING) the Shinobi Alliance and the 5 Kage. The answer to that question: Yes. In spades.

But then Madara gets subjected to a problem that I felt Kishimoto keeps repeating with characters: Escalation. It's not enough that Madara is so powerful that he can brag of being second best because him and Hashirama are just on different level than like 95% of everyone in the Naruto World. No, he has to be behind a ton of major events. He saves and recruits Obito. It's his Rinnegan, that he unlocked with Hashirama's DNA, given to Nagato so that he can be later revived. Oh, and he's the reincarnation of Indra, son of the Sage of Six Paths. On top of being decended from Indra and, again, the Sage of Six Paths.

Plot twist after plot twist. To me, this doesn't add to his character. His actual flashbacks and interactions with Hashirama did that. It just makes him and his place in the story convoluted. And, Madara isn't the only one who suffered through this, so there's that.

If I can quotes a writing professor from college:

"Having more in a story will not always make something better. But it definitely makes more to judge."

All of that which you said was just stuff that was literally apart of his plan. Like tell how is that twisting the plot. The only even he was behind was the death of rin and the rescue of Obito. Obito did all that other stuff besides the rinnegan goin to Nagato which we dont know who thought of that idea. Obito literally did everything else himself from the point of helping Itachi and being apart of their clan murder to the nine tails attacking the leaf village and everything else up until now.

Id understand if you said zetsu was the reason for Madara's rinnegan also since he is the reason for everything. Thats the biggest plot twist not Madara. If you understand what zetsu was doing it would the plot twist would make obvious sense. All uchiha are from Indra so Madara cant help that. Madara being the reincarnation of Indra was just a bonus for Zetsu, since madara was so crafty that he still effect the world and cycle after his death.

I respect your opinion tho

I find your idea of obitos phylosophy stupid. You can think whatever you want, but really? Are you going to ignore that after she died he actualy got over it? She was an exemple for him that the world is hell, sure, but he openly mocket kakashi for killing her. He developed after her death you know?

everyone complaining about Madara being too convoluted, the argument can be said for Aizen aswell who instead is a very underdeveloped character who instead has convoluted motives that bring no impact to the larger narrative other than to be the villain that gets beaten, later on in the story his "all according to my plan" with Ichigo is extremely shoehorned for the sake of creating a connection between the protagonist and the antagonist that was simply never there, undermining every aspect of his character prior, as for those saying it not fair to Compare naruto and Bleach as the one ended properly is completely wrong, Aizen was the primary antagonist for 400+ chapters this is more than half of Bleach, his character arc ended when he got defeated by Ichigo and sealed by Urahara, his inclusion in the final arc was merely used to be a plot device for Ichigo to get pass Yhwach's Almighty which in the end.. didn't really help anyway. Aizen's character is extremely stagnated character never changing, having no true end goals or ambitions and only does things to service the protagonist and nothing more. Aizen isn't a well-written character nor a good villain, his a character who has an amazing character design thanks to Kubo and has a no f*** attitude which is something that many people love including myself.

his a fun character and that's more than enough for people to like him more than Madara, characters can just be fun to watch but for me it isn't enough to put him above Madara who is not only fun to watch but has a real reason for an antagonist and has lore that not only drives the main narrative but builds upon the larger world of the said fictional verse, his is the ultimate foil to Naruto from a power, and Ideological standpoint. hence why many fans such as myself find it infuriating that he was cast aside for far far weaker (narratively) Villain.

Better question. Who cares? They're two different characters with two different goals and personalities. You can't really compare the two, plus no character is objectively better than the other. It all comes down to opinions.

Unless it's a Fairy Tail character Every character is objectively better than any FT character.

Knightofannihilation666 said:
Better question. Who cares? They're two different characters with two different goals and personalities. You can't really compare the two, plus no character is objectively better than the other. It all comes down to opinions.

Unless it's a Fairy Tail character Every character is objectively better than any FT character.
I kinda Agree, this thread shouldnt be about who is a better written but who do you like better.

otherwise we always get complexity (Convoluted) vs Fun but Simple (underdeveloped) thing

which you need neither to enjoy a character.

different strokes for different folks.

One has a full backstory, the other does not. One ended death at the hands of a fodder, and the other sealed because of immortality negating him that privilegie. Sigh.

Dbknowitall said:
AstralKing7 said:
who ended death at the hands of fodder and who was the fodder lol
madara was beaten by a fodder but Aizen was beaten by Ichigo the MC who had surpass him in power.
Madara was never beaten at all and would have likely have won despite the former two being granted powers of a god and was only beaten by plot.

Did he now? The fodder isn't coming back by his own plans. Aizen will be free when the sentence is done. He is inmortal and gains even more power as we speak. The fodder's plan didn't went well in the end. All that matters is the result.

But what he wanted did happen.

It wanted for kaguya to return, that was its only porpuse, and it sucseeded at that.

Aizen didn't succeed at all

he got defeated by the MC

got taken out by the villain

and still ends up in a chair locked away

Well, Aizen did not became a SK [the highest class in the gerarchy of the verse] but reached his tier especially post end of the series, so there's that. Madara on the other hand did become a god [which are mainly the Otsutsuki's on his verse] and had to be taken out in order to introduce Kaguya, a character with less knowledge of battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXyb5y3loQc

Madara is more interesting for me honestly. I loved Aizen (and quit Bleach when he left), but Madara for me was more impressive and overall someone who I felt had more depth. The video I linked above only strengthened my view.

>He's like a poor-mans Aizen

Except not really. He and Aizen, aside from just being the second most OP villain in their series share not really that much in common. In fact I consider him better than Aizen

Madara being behind everything makes more sense going by the entire theme of Naruto, i.e Hatred, Conflict and Peace. It honestly makes him more interesting as it shows how influential his words are and how well he was able to convey his beliefs to others and have it basically spread like wildfire. This also leads to his revival and his defeat at the hands of Kaguya. Not to mention that he wasn't blind to his own flaws. He knew of the contradictions in his goal. Getting rid of conflict meant getting rid of battle, something he himself enjoyed beyond belief. He knew what he was doing, but he still pushed on through it. Even though the way he did so was nowhere near the best way to accomplish the goal.

The video above explains everything in detail.

>Every character is objectively better than a Fairy Tail Character

I vehemently disagree here. Like FT wasn't the best, but the characters it had were enjoyable overall. Something that I;ll argue. Not to mention there is no objectivity here, only subjectivity. People see stuff differently, so I wouldn't appreciate someone saying these characters are the objectively worst characters, which basically means, "if you like these characters more than others, you are objectively wrong despite this being the subjective". This is the nice way of saying what I really want to say to that comment.

Fairytail did what it set out to do

be an entertaining series that's full of effort ,victory and friendship

just like any shonen battle manga

Yes, its more how you do it. My hero is not inocative at all, but the execution is so good that no one cares, and instead even finds it apealing.

Fairy Tails arcs would be good stand alones, but aren't all that good one after another by my standards

if Fairytail was remotely as hated as it is online then it would have been canceled long ago

and yet it's in top 30 best selling manga of all time

this means there's a large number of people that enjoy it

Back