• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Air pressure destruction feats

Does there exist a calculation for the ratio of air pressure to contact force? My understanding is the force of the air pressure/wind of an object in motion can at most be equal to the drag. So if we were to use this as a real life basis for calcs, feats such as Dangai Ichigo vaporizing a hill, Sensui pulverizing Beheaded Hill, Madara's Susanoo cutting a mountain, etc., ought to be several orders of magnitude higher given that was just the air pressure and not the actual force of the object being used to attack. So the air pressure from something as aerodynamic as a sword may be millions of times weaker than the actual contact force.

Does there exist a calculation for the ratio of air pressure to contact force? My understanding is the force of the air pressure/wind of an object in motion can at most be equal to the drag. So if we were to use this as a real life basis for calcs, feats such as Dangai Ichigo vaporizing a hill, Sensui pulverizing Beheaded Hill, Madara's Susanoo cutting a mountain, etc., ought to be several orders of magnitude higher given that was just the air pressure and not the actual force of the object being used to attack. So the air pressure from something as aerodynamic as a sword may be millions of times weaker than the actual contact force.
We don't use that sort of thing since:
  1. Those values can't be calculated, and have to be found experimentally, which makes them inapplicable for a lot of characters.
  2. Incorporating them is often fairly difficult (a calculation of a character jumping to the other side of the planet goes from a few lines to a few pages once you try to take drag into account), which also means that there's fewer people knowledgeable enough to evaluate them.
  3. They massively increase the results of feats where people bother to incorporate those, making the previous issues cause more of a rift in our community than if they just made the results, say, 10% higher.
  4. While it makes things more accurate to the physics, one eventually gets to wonder whether it makes things more accurate to the author's idea of the character when writing. If they wanted the character to be millions of times superior to that destruction, would feats relying on principles that few can intuit properly be the only way the author would go about expressing that?
None of these are, like, objective slam dunks debunking the idea of anyone using that, just why they're not something we currently go by.

There's a bunch of ways in which our indexing is inaccurate, and I think there's better gains to be had from improving in areas other than this one. In practice, implementing this right now would just make the 5 verses people bother to apply this to hundreds of thousands of times stronger, and hundreds of times faster, widening the gap between them and verses where people lack the motivation to do this work.

Last edited:
We don't use that sort of thing since:
  1. Those values can't be calculated, and have to be found experimentally, which makes them inapplicable for a lot of characters.
  2. Incorporating them is often fairly difficult (a calculating of a character jumping to the other side of the planet goes from a few lines to a few pages once you try to take drag into account), which also means that there's fewer people knowledgeable enough to evaluate them.
  3. They massively increase the results of feats where people bother to incorporate those, making the previous issues cause more of a rift in our community than if they just made the results, say, 10% higher.
  4. While it makes things more accurate to the physics, one eventually gets to wonder whether it makes things more accurate to the author's idea of the character when writing. If they wanted the character to be millions of times superior to that destruction, would feats relying on principles that few can intuit properly be the only way the author would go about expressing that?
None of these are, like, objective slam dunks debunking the idea of anyone using that, just why they're not something we currently go by.

There's a bunch of ways in which our indexing is inaccurate, and I think there's better gains to be had from improving in areas other than this one. In practice, implementing this right now would just make the 5 verses people bother to apply this to hundreds of thousands of times stronger, and hundreds of times faster, widening the gap between them and verses where people lack the motivation to do this work.
Gotcha. To be frank, what the author thinks or their "idea" of where a character should scale is really not any concern of mine... because powerscaling presupposes death of the author. However, I do believe it would blow a lot of feats out of proportion to the point where if used as a real life basis, it would be too inconsistent to apply to fiction. And as you said, calculating it is perhaps not very practical. I could maybe see such a multiplier used for some very niche scenarios, where there is explicit showings of the air pressure doing that much less damage, but I don't know any off the top of my head where this would qualify. Thank you for informing me on y'alls stance. :)

Back