• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ainz Ooal Gown and Overlord speed upgrade

There should be a certain point where if a thing is repeated enough times, it should just stop being hyperbole. Right now, there's at least 3 Hypersonic level statements and probably more on the horizon; are we going to just keep dismissing these as hyperbole even though it's REPEATEDLY BROUGHT UP TIME AND TIME AFTER AGAIN?

PLUS, as noted above, Shaltear performed a feat that actually left physical aftereffects by her speed. That isn't hyperbole anymore.

He's not replying to anyone.

He's just whining and/or trolling.

I still don't see those heat trails as proof of Mach 5+ movement though. What's this about rockets being the only thing to leave them though?

Akreious said:
There should be a certain point where if a thing is repeated enough times, it should just stop being hyperbole. Right now, there's at least 3 Hypersonic level statements and probably more on the horizon; are we going to just keep dismissing these as hyperbole even though it's REPEATEDLY BROUGHT UP TIME AND TIME AFTER AGAIN?
A dozen generic, commonly used statements about "lightning speed" and "the speed of lighting" are always going to be hyperbole until a feat comes up putting them on that level.

I'm trying to determine if leaving heat trails constitutes a speed upgrade, which is difficult because nothing comes up on google when I look it up.

To be fair Monarch, the only times we humans irl see heat trails is when we perform atmospheric reentry, which is mach 20+. Of course we're not gonna have other examples of heat trails irl.

Well then

If you can provide a source for that, then it would be a solid Hypersonic+ rating, barring any other complications.

Problem for that is, again, it's hard to find numbers for heat trails like you said. The closest thing I've found is how fast meteors enter our atmosphere (Which is Mach 140.759 btw), but nothing on just the ability to leave heat trails.

Monarch Laciel said:
He's not replying to anyone.

He's just whining and/or trolling.

I still don't see those heat trails as proof of Mach 5+ movement though. What's this about rockets being the only thing to leave them though?
i provided the scans. But you are the only one who is crying behind hyperbole shit.
There are tons of scans I provided yet you are one clinging to hyperbole and constant downplay.

I simply don't want to waste my time on a hater like you

Name calling now? How crude

Your (two scans, not "a ton of") scans do not prove anything except that the writer likes to use generic statements of speed without anything proving them.

So sorry to burst your bubble

There are scans provided by others too but hey you have hyperbole and mod powers who can stop you from downplaying, right?

I have realized I can't win against someone who has a mindset of constant downplaying rather listening to reasoning. It's not the first here, mind you, most of the battles here are biased.

The heat trails scans are the only other ones that have been provided, and I'm waiting for a source on how fast that makes them. That's not downplaying, that's completely reasonable.

I wouldn't say most of the battles are biased. But the ones that are tend to be because of people like you who furiously push their own agendas to wank their favourite series against all reason and scream out that it is the other people who are biased when you are called on your bull and hypocrisy.

Sure mr. hater whatever you say. Bullshiting and abusing powers is what you best at. Ths only one hating here is you with constant 'hyperbole this shit hyperbole that shit' despite the feat. Oh the sweet irony and hypocrisy.

Funny is people like you are the first to wank their series without any discussions. But sure you have the power to do so. Haters are hilarious.

Tbh i really didn't want to be involved in this after i see the abuse of term 'hyperbole' but he was the one who called me out saying I am whining even though he is downplaying.

I get it but constantly going on and on about it won't help your case and will get the thread prematurely closed along with a potential ban.

Don't try and say "you didn't want to be involved in this".

You were calling people out on downplay and bias and complaining about the wiki well before I mentioned your whining.

@Hit

Our skepticism whenever hyperbole is brought up is justified. "Lightning speed", "Speed of Lightning" and "Speed of Light" statements are everywhere, especially in Japanese light novels and web novels.

Using ad hominem attacks on our Staff, which you have done repeatedly, is going to make you seem less credible on top of making you more likely to be banned.

The stuff you say about dB is ironic, because the wiki doesn't upgrade Kid Goku to MHS from a statement of him being Faster than lightning.

Not pouring hate, just though it was worth a mention.

Anyway, have these been directly contradicted by the series, or not?

I am pretty sure I provided that source above. Anyway fact is we either out them at mach 5 or we put then at mach 20. Because those are the only 2 things related to heat trails appearing at high speeds. The fastest jet fighters in use move at about mach 2.35 nd do not produce heat trails. That is nearly half mach 5. I think mach 5/hypersonic is a safe bet but mach 20 is fine with me too. This is a novel not an anime(despite the anime coming out). There is very little chance of getting calcs and sometimes taking things at face value is all you got. Btw about what you said about her not dodging that lightning.

1. The anime adaptation is lesser canon we dont even know what it really looks like in the actual scene.

2. Overlord is based off a game, one where there is targeted spells that are essentially impossible to dodge. Even if you were lightning speed it is probably impossible to get away from it.

3. The ability is called Greater Thunder, not even called lightning but that is besides the point, it is a higher tier spell by the looks of the name it could also move faster than lightning.

But it all boils down to Overlord should be at hypersonic combat speeds.

ByAsura said:
The stuff you say about dB is ironic, because the wiki doesn't upgrade Kid Goku to MHS from a statement of him being Faster than lightning.
Not pouring hate, just though it was worth a mention.

Anyway, have these been directly contradicted by the series, or not?
They have not once been contradicted by the series that is the thing. The lizardmen fodder have been said to attack at supersonic speeds and for Cocytus that was really slow. To the point where only being 5 times faster is an understatement.

What ypou are asking me is to prove a negative. It is the truth that the only thing that we have that provides heat trails are rockets.

Look

I look up heat trails on google, and nothing comes up. The closest thing is contrails, which can be produced by things moving at much less than Mach 5+. I have no sources.

Find me a source saying what heat trails are and that rockets produce heat trails, and then I will happily change their speed ratings.

Rocker1189 wrote:

3. The ability is called Greater Thunder, not even called lightning but that is besides the point, it is a higher tier spell by the looks of the name it could also move faster than lightning.

Lightning and Thunder are extremely commonly used in an interchangeable sense by a lot of media. Blame Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Rocker1189 said:
17,000 mph is about mach 22.
That's referring to the orbital velocity of the ISS, not the speed of a rocket going straight up or down.a Also that article mentions spacecraft getting hot due to rushing past dense air particles at high speeds on reentry, sure. But ... I don't see enough linking it to Shaltear's speed to conclusively say she is moving at those speeds.

Rocker1189 said:
Also contrails are provided by jet engines, which I am sure Shalltear does not have.
I'm aware. The point is that I don't know how heat trails work, if they require certain masses to work at different speeds, differences in air pressure and density... at this point, working this sort of thing out is more in the realm of requiring a calculation. Which I do not do.

Rocker1189 said:
Like I said it was not really the point but you are right in that sense.
I actually forgot to add the rest of the comment.

Why wouldn't a high end spell be as fast as lightning, since it can blitz characters that Hypersonic (supersonic on the wiki) according to you.

Yes, that is literaly what she is doing. Air becomes dense when you move fast enough because you are literally squishing air particles together faster than they can move away from each other. This causes the air to heat up due to the density of the air in an area. Heat trails are formed from this and that is what a rocket does due to its speed it ends up forming heat trails. Shalltear foremed heat trails and a vaccum to form because of the speed of her feat kicking the air causing the particles to be tightly pack in from of her foot and a vaccums to trail behind it becuase of the lack of air. I dont know what other vidence you need to be honest it is just getting annoying. There is no othe rway to prove for heat trails because the rest of the world does not care about fictional character debating and studying heat trails is useless to anyone.

Seriously I cant understand what other evidence is need Monarch you literally prove it in your comments.

Did you now...?

And what methods would these be, Mr Badass, seeing as we have not to my memory encountered each other on any threads? We don't even know each other. Or are you simply spewing bullshit?

@Rocker In any case, I suppose I can get behind Mach 5 with that explanation of heat trails. There's too much of a difference in density between the air of the upper atmosphere and the air of the lower atmosphere to say that Shaltear is moving at rocket speeds, seeing as in a low density upper atmosphere you need to move much much faster to achieve the same levels of heat, but that source on moving Mach 5 from that source about catching on fire from speed seems reasonable for a more dense lower atmosphere.

@Hit The Badass

How exactly is Monarch being biased. He is being reasonable, saying some statements about being lightning fast with little to no scaling is likely hyperbolic. He also asked for sources about the Heat Trails thing and discussed it in a reasonable way.

If anything you are being unreasonable, constantly using Ad Hominem attacks, being rude, and saying that he's a downplayer for not agreeing with you.

Oh my god, are u doing this right now? Oh yes you are You gave me a warning and now you are insulting me yourself. Oh how the mighty have fallen lol. Not that I expected much anyways.

Back