• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ainz Ooal Gown and Overlord speed upgrade

I know people here thinks that Ainz's FTL speed is hyperbole.

But I'm not going to talk about that here.

This is a different speed feats performed by Aiz as Momonga and other by Entoma and Tia and Gagaran.

1) First one for Entoma striking at speed of lightning while toying around and Blue Roses dodging it (volume 6):

The being that was waved around was the most powerful insect the entomomancer Entoma could summon—(the thousand whips insect) Originally it was supposed to be a whip with the rough shape of an arc, but it turned out to shoot out at an unimaginable angle. This whip was like an extension of Entoma's hand, and bent in an S shape, before it launched at Gagaran with the speed of lightning.

The fact that she could avoid such a strange attack was why she was called an adamantite-ranked adventurer — the highest-ranked of all adventurers

2) Now for Momonga casually dodging lighting speed attacks from Palparta (volume 7):

That's impossible! What kind of dexterity and motion-tracking vision is that?!

"—[Gale Acceleration]."

Palpatra continued using his martial arts.

You've gone too far, old man! Has your brain gone senile too?!

"[Dragon Fang Thrust]!"

He used the same move from before upon Momon again. Snow-white freezing vapors shrouded the spear's tip; it was the [White Dragon Fang Thrust]. That lightning-speed series of four attacks— A great commotion rose from the onlookers.

That was only to be expected. After all, not a single one of those four attacks had managed to so much as touch Momon's armor.

Palpatra leapt back. His forehead was beaded with sweat; he was not exhausted from attacking, but the mental strain of wielding his spear on deadly ground had been too much for him.

"He's incredible!"

The fact that one of the weakest Pleaides can move at lightning speed, it should be even more logical for Ainz to move at those speed casually.

How are they even related when these both are completely different feats by different characters?

Not to mention, it was performed by Entoma who is definitely not a fodder makes it even more valid.

So what's everyone thoughts about this one?

Since this is performed by a mid tier character and not a fodder. I think it is extremely valid.

How they are related?

In the way that I can copy my answer from that thread to answer this thread:

"with the speed of lightning" is just as much your typical run-of-the-mill hyperbole for "very fast" as is "with the speed of light".

You will literally find the phrases used there in idiom dictionaries with the meaning "Incredibly quickly or speedily" / "very fast"."

Wait what? First you guys dismissed light speed feat saying it was a fodder character even though that guy was stated to be one of strongest humans in the series. Fine that's understandable.

Then you again dismissed Shalltear, a top tier fighting against Ainz at FTL speeds despite the evident.

And now I brought you with mid tier character being lightning speed and you can call it hyperbole despite author saying otherwise.

Yet you guys are fine with other novel characters being that speed with same phrases.

Seems like a huge downplay attempt to me.

I care to look.

Also, I agree with DT

"Lightning speed" and "the speed of lightning" are extremely common statements that are most often used to simply mean "really fast". Unless there's actually feats of such speeds, describing something as "lightning speed" is more likely just hyperbole.

While I dont particularly agree or disagree with lightning speed. There is info about hypersonic Overlord.

The crimson figure pierced through the tornado head on and charged at high speed. With the tip of her lance pointing forward, the figure left behind a trail of heat like a jet.

This is Shalltear flying so fast that heat trails are left in her wake

And it cant be hyperbole because we can see physical effects from it.

The vacuum in the kick's passing sliced off several of his hairs

Dont go that way lol. Or you might end up getting in trouble. Either way I dont see why lightning speed is completely out there for overlord since there have been several statements about it.

Monarch Laciel said:
I care to look.
Also, I agree with DT

"Lightning speed" and "the speed of lightning" are extremely common statements that are most often used to simply mean "really fast". Unless there's actually feats of such speeds, describing something as "lightning speed" is more likely just hyperbole.
Honestly I dont understand what you mean by feats isnt that what is posted above? Feats?

Rocker1189 said:
While I dont particularly agree or disagree with lightning speed. There is info about hypersonic Overlord.
The crimson figure pierced through the tornado head on and charged at high speed. With the tip of her lance pointing forward, the figure left behind a trail of heat like a jet.

This is Shalltear flying so fast that heat trails are left in her wake

And it cant be hyperbole because we can see physical effects from it.

The vacuum in the kick's passing sliced off several of his hairs
That would possibly support Shalltear being about as fast as a jet, but jets usually aren't hypersonic. Jets are usually trans- to supersonic. Shalltear already is ranked "At least Supersonic".

Yeah but the heat trails suggest that she is faster than that. You pretty much have to be hypersonic to leave heat trails and vaccums in your wake.

Rocker1189 said:
Dont go that way lol. Or you might end up getting in trouble. Either way I dont see why lightning speed is completely out there for overlord since there have been several statements about it.
I don't see why would I get into trouble for stating feats and facts but not the guy who is constantly downplaying them?

>Complaining that people are biased when your verse doesn't get upgrades based on generic expressions and hyperbolic statements

How typically biased.

Rocker1189 said:
Honestly I dont understand what you mean by feats isnt that what is posted above? Feats?
Reacting to a lightning bolt by moving to block or dodge it after it has been fired is a lightning speed feat.

Moving at 10 million metres per second is a lightning speed feat,.

Moving at "the speed of lightning" is a generic statement used to express speed and is in no way enough for an upgrade.

I'm highly doubtful this is an actual speed feat when every goddamn character that fights have that statement slapped onto them. Are you expecting me to believe they are as fast as shalltear?

Although I do agree with hypersonic ainz/shalltear for the specific and detailed reasons above, I'm not trusting the lightning statements. ( Especially when Shalltear literally got struck by lightning in her fight with ainz.)

And those lightning statements come from the same guy who may or may not have spammed the phrase 'Like a puppet with it's strings cut' throughout his story for every death that happens in it.

Reading the volume 3 of overlord i saw something that, perhaps, could be used to find the speed of characters at the level of Brain (level almost 30).

"He could cut his foe so quickly that blood would not even stick to the blade. Feeling that he had reached the realm of the gods, he named that technique ÒÇîGod FlashÒÇì."

Volume 3, chapter 2, part 2

"As he cast his stress aside, he was certain that this swing was faster than the previous one. Even he had no way of defending against a strike of that speed."

Volume 3, chapter 2, part 2

Based in this, i was thinking that perhaps there is a way to calculate what could be the necessary speed of a katana to overcome the dynamic viscosity of blood which is, i believe, a non-Newtonian fluid.

Also, with the second part we can say that Brain should be able to perform attacks that could potentially be slightly faster than his reaction speed in extreme situations.

Of course, i am not an expert in the subject and therefore i don't know if this suggestion is crazy. But is something that could be seem as more than a hyperbolic statement.

Monarch Laciel said:
>Complaining that people are biased when your verse doesn't get upgrades based on generic expressions and hyperbolic statements

How typically biased.
>says the one who blindly gives green light to his fav. verses even to ridiculous degree

Oh the irony

You Serious?
You Serious?

More serious than you ever realize.

These guys made Gohan universal within an hour of that episode even though Goku was holding back.

The level of bias and hating is ridiculous in this wiki.

Indeed.

I can see bias and hating rolling off your comments already.

I'd also like you to give an example of me "blindly green lighting his fav"

I wasn't part of Gohan's upgrade though. I don't even watch dragon ball.

I guess I'm not biased. So now you have 2 options.

1 - keep screaming about bias and get the thread closed

2 - present evidence that actually shows lightning speed as opposed to a hyperbolic statement

Because heat trails?

I'm not opposed to that, but Can you provide a source saying one must move at hypersonic speeds to create those?

I recognise that fiction does this differently and not everyone bursts into flames from moving faster than Mach 5.

But if we are just using those heat trails she is creating as proof of Mach 5, that doesn't seem like quite enough to get her there.

Like, that website says you'd need to move at Mach 5 to reach a temperature that completely incinerates the human body.

But "heat trails" doesn't really give us a temperature or anything

There's just not enough information.

I am pretty sure heat trails will come close to incinerating the human body. Jets dont go fast enough to produce heat trails and only thing that we have moving fast enough to do so are rockets. Which move upwards of mach 20 and more when reentering the atmosphere. So even if she did not produce enough to completely incinerate a human body it is still proof of hypersonic movement.

There are many problems with this site that I dislike. My most hated is the infamous unsaid rule to speed equalize every battle possible, I also disagree with this site's reasoning of using a spell that is specifically made to change the environment ( not attack ) to scale overlord to island level, despite them showing far less feats of strength and durability in any other possible category. ( Remember when ainz got damaged by a mook far weaker than him? And the only given reason to win without magic is due to HP difference?) But regardless of that, I do agree ( as stated above ) to upgrade overlord to hypersonic level because of the heat trails.

As expected the biased and downplay is still going on just becuz it's not their fav. verse. Welp this is as good as a wiki run by haters can go.

Back