• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adhesivity should be Wall Crawling

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Or any name that indicates being able to do that

Coming from this thread.

Adhesivity is a very restrictive power that doesn't go on anyone who can maneuver on walls or ceilings via any kind of method, it only goes for those who strictly have adhesion.

As this is far less useful and some profiles already Adhesivity erroneously so it should be renamed.

I wouldn't call it Wall Crawling considering some users "walk" up walls, however I don't know what would work better than Adhesivity.

Personaly I like more the name of Wall Crawling, and Adhesivity sounds like it only involve adhesion via suckers and secretes, when Adhesivity/Wall Crawling involve additionaly using craws, electrostatic, gravity defiance, between others.

Going by the thread I linked, it shouldn't but we were using it wrong. So I wanted to change it to something that includes everything the above mentioned and move, like doing it via sheer speed or with no clear explanation behind it.

Surface Scaling is technically fine with me, but somebody would have to update a lot of page links if we change the name. Is it really worth the trouble?

More or less like this, I propose:

Summary
Surface Scaling is the ability to stay and/or mobilize through walls, ceilings and/or other types of non-conventional floors. This may be generated in very different ways and with great to no amount of limitations in its application.

Types

• Through adhesion.
  • Through strongly holding oneself on a surface or constantly altering it & taking advantage of that
  • Through sheer speed.
  • Through Toon Force.
  • Through Spatial Manipulation.
  • Through generating forces that cause this or unexplored ways.
Users

Looking at that they weren't be that many giving that they are just those who used Adhesivity wrong, and yes it would be worth it as not doing it means having to always explain the situation in threads if someone points out that x character who is being requested to have Adhesivity doesn't actually have adhesion.

It would also encourage many to add this power in the profile of those who deserve it, which, better sooner than than later.

Sounds like a very small issue that doesn't warrant a major change since it's pure semantics.

the ability should apply to anyone who can stick to surfaces in spite of gravity regardless of method.

Well, we need more staff input, and also some volunteers willing to update all of the pages that I listed earlier.

I should note that when I added adhesivity I specifically meant for it to not be given to characters who stick to walls via speed or grip.

Running up walls via speed and grabbing on to walls via strength are not their own superpowers they are just certain applications of super speed and super strength respectively.

I agree with Andy on this.

Perhaps keep Adhesivity as its own ability and create something new for the ones it doesn't apply to?

That might be a simpler solution, yes.

The ones it doesn't apply to probably won't be notable enough for a page tho.

Plus the page specifically notes that things similar to spiked footwear can be considered as adhesivity since they fulfill the criteria given in the description.

Tho I was worried if the page explained things well enough so seeing if it needs adjustments might be a good idea.

It was the best I could come up with. Wall crawling didn't seem like an attractive option because '''crawling''' on '''walls''' isn't a good summation of this ability.

I rejected Wall Crawling for the more accurate Surface Scaling comments above. If having other description would solve the problem then I don't think modify the profiles with the powers is that important.

It should. The point is to basically connect yourself to a wall or ceiling without notably altering the wall or cealing itself.

Now. While I'm open to a name change I have reservations about changing its definition entirely. Especially since the one given here attempts tp change a bit too much about the ability for my liking.

Changes to the definition should be about clearing up some stuff that may cause confusing not making the power something else entirely.

You can increase the definition of Adhesivity to include stuff like glue or sticky attacks meant for restraining. Characters like Mineta, Paste Pot Pete/Trapster, Spiderman's webs etc. would have it. Changing it to something like Surface Scaling severely limits its meaning and a separate power along the lines of "Glue Manipulation" would be required.

I'd say keep the power name as it is and expand its definition.

What do you think of this comment?

If that makes the power something else, wouldn't it be appropriate to avoid making a new power that is essentially just this one?

@Tac That's just turning a power to something it was not supposed to be in the first place.

What you mean on "it was not supposed to be"? We have a derivation of a power without having the power itself, which applies to that and more. Why being so restrictive?

@Efi I'm talking to Nuke about extending the power to things like glue manipulation and spider webs. That's a big departure from what the power was supposed to encompass.

Adhesivity should relate to being able to manipulate/use sticky stuff (adhesives) rather than a specific function of it - being able to climb and stick to walls.

The English definition of Adhesivity does cover stickyness and glueyness. Mere user being able to stick to objects is a very limited subset of it.

You're focusing too much on the name. The power that happens to be named Adhesivity isn't about manipulating adhesives it's more closely related to Spiderman's wall crawling power.

Eh, but that's so limited. The new definition proposed by me would still cover it, along with some new abilities. Atm, there's no power on the wiki to use for glue-like abilities and Adhesivity can cover for them.

Our powers are named so that profiles can be structured in a way that even new users can understand their powers and abilities. It'd be easier for new users to understand if adhesivity was related to its actual definition rather than a small subset of what can be done with 'stickyness'.

Besides, who defined adhesivity as just wallcrawling in the first place? Even the superpower wiki lists wallcrawling as an application of adhesivity

The only thing Adhesivity has to do with the powers you mentioned is its name. The idea that it needs to include stuff like glue manipulation comes purely from semantics.

I mean, what is the issue with changing it exactly? Wall crawling would still be covered. And its better than changing the word Adhesivity to something else, which would imply a ton of work. As it stands, its totally misleading.

@Gyro A main point of this thread is to rename the power to something more suitable. I only picked the name Adhesivity initially due to a lack of options.

A new power regarding the stUff you mentioned can be created later.

Back