• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Addition For RWBY

So the Volume 8 commentary, which notes posted could be found here and here, are usually where the writers talk about what happened in the Volume and explain their thoughts. For episode 14, when talking about Cinder vs. Winter, they state that when she used her Semblance to summon the Nevermores, they were boosted by her Maiden powers, Kerry even saying she was simply amplifying her already existing abilities. From this, Winter should get Statistics Amplification on her Maiden Tab. Also from this we can see that Magic functions like Aura in that it can increase the strength of your abilities. As such, all Magic users should also get it as well, which includes the Maidens, Oz and Salem.

Last edited:
The statements are pretty clear on the fact that the Maiden powers strengthened at least part of Winter's already existing abilities and that this enhanced her summons, so I don't have a problem with that. I'm not sure if that can be generalized for magic since Winter received training and the nature of her Semblance apparently helped though I might be missing some context here.

Last edited:
The thing is that they got amplified directly because as a maiden her powers are amplified naturally, not something she has to do (summons nevermore then amplifies them but they are already amplified as summoned). Its not an ability/power she has to activate like lets say a buff.

The statements are pretty clear on the fact that the Maiden powers strengthened at least part of Winter's already existing abilities and that this enhanced her summons, so I don't have a problem with that. I'm not sure if that can be generalized for magic since Winter received training and the nature of her Semblance apparently helped though I might be missing some context here.
I believe it should be generalized because since the Maidens all have the same powers. As such if Winter can amp using her powers then the others can as well. And since the Maidens magic is simply Oz’s who gave portions away it shows that all magic users can do this.

The thing is that they got amplified directly because as a maiden her powers are amplified naturally, not something she has to do (summons nevermore then amplifies them but they are already amplified as summoned). Its not an ability/power she has to activate like lets say a buff.

I mean, based on the quote by Kerry: “I feel like a lot of it was kinda natural- we tried to do a lot of things where she kind of amplified things that she’s already doing like the.. you know extra frosty Nevermore and stuff like that”, indicates that amping her Semblance was something she did directly, not passively. This was also the case with Penny in her battle with Cinder, where she charged her laser beam using her Maiden powers to take her out shown here at 3:40.

Last edited:
They are amplified cause she's a maiden whose potency of powers are higher. Not because she actively buff-ed them.

They are amplified cause she's a maiden whose potency of powers are higher. Not because she actively buff-ed them.
Alright. If you say it’s an amp that’s applied naturally, not an activated ability, would you say then that this is an example of Empowerment instead? Since it’s basically Statistics but involuntary.

Alright. If you say it’s an amp that’s applied naturally, not an activated ability, would you say then that this is an example of Empowerment instead? Since it’s basically Statistics but involuntary.
They are amplified cause she's stronger as a maiden than as a normal hunter (what she was before).

Example: X can punch with a value of 100. Then he trains for 3 months and can punch with a value of 120. Does he gets stat amp? No. Its just that compared to his first punch he's stronger now. Same for Winter, just that she got all that power instantly.

They are amplified cause she's stronger as a maiden than as a normal hunter (what she was before).

Example: X can punch with a value of 100. Then he trains for 3 months and can punch with a value of 120. Does he gets stat amp? No. Its just that compared to his first punch he's stronger now. Same for Winter, just that she got all that power instantly.
True. But your example is based on a gradual increase in strength. Maidens can switch between their base and Maiden form indicated by the eye flames. Meaning they can instantly amp their strength just by activating their powers. So would that not count?

Arent Maiden Powers themselves amps? Like Raven doesn't always use her Maiden Powers and gives her normal Huntsman levels of power. But with Maiden Powers, all of her abilities are boosted, speed, strength, etc. It's basically a Super Saiyan Transformation.

So with Nehz_XZX now agreeing entirely with the thread, that is two staff agreements. I believe that is enough for a minor addition such as this so I will go ahead and add it.

Back