• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adding Non-Standard Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point of my proposal was that breathing and the lack of need thereof are two different things. Hence, compounding breathing in space and breathing underwater. The keyword here is breathing. If you simply don't breathe at all, like a robot, that is true self-sustenence. If you need air to breathe (and no, not just oxygen as pure oxygen will kill you) and you can breathe just fine in space, that should fall under Non-Standard Breathing. The snafu here would be assuming breathing Earth atmosphere levels of air is considered the standard, and anything that isn't would be considered non-standard.

Splitting the ability into types only serves to show if it's natural or not. Fish breathe underwater and that's natural to them. We can with the assistance of scuba diving equipment, and that's not natural to us. However, both achieve the same result. To me, the types make the most sense as a solution to the original problem on top of fixing my personal problem with Underwater Breathing existing as an ability by itself. Two birds, one stone.
Okay. I suppose that seems sensible, but we would need to create a redirect link from our Underwater Breathing page.

I couldn't find the time to do it. Is it possible if someone else does the page? I could edit in any necessary details after.

I couldn't find the time to do it. Is it possible if someone else does the page? I could edit in any necessary details after.
Guess I'll take the matters into my own hands and inspire your ideas behind it.

This is fine for me, but I hope it won't be reworded with “if you have the equipment, you get it one”, then I am against it since it makes no sense.
Well to you it doesn't make sense, we've literally accepted standards for including equipment with certain abilities for many other profiles to be noted.

Well to you it doesn't make sense, we've literally accepted standards for including equipment with certain abilities for many other profiles to be noted.
No, according to our wiki standards, you don't require oxygen/food to live indefinitely. It does not matter if you are in Earth, space, outer space, or in a dimension where only nothingness exists (if you have the equipment to survive on that platform).

Simply the page itself is self-sustenance, there is nothing about self trying to survive with other methods that are not part of the nature of the character.
Many staff members agreed that 4th type makes no sense. And rewording it, allowing it, will go against the sense of the title itself.

If I have a water gun, I don't have water manipulation as “powers/abilities”, simply only as “optional equipment” and it should be noted there what the gun/equipment does. And if there are profiles that are listed like that, it needs to be fixed. Pretty much unfair against other characters who do it out of their nature without needing any equipment.

Nevertheless, even if you have optional equipment that makes you survive in the space, it still won't qualify as “self-sustenance”. Nothing is here “self”.

Assisted breathing (Or something to that effect) is the new power no?

No, according to our wiki standards, you don't require oxygen/food to live indefinitely. It does not matter if you are in Earth, space, outer space, or in a dimension where only nothingness exists (if you have the equipment to survive on that platform).
That's literally the only ability where it gives you access to survive in space.
Simply the page itself is self-sustenance, there is nothing about self trying to survive with other methods that are not part of the nature of the character.
Many staff members agreed that 4th type makes no sense. And rewording it, allowing it, will go against the sense of the title itself.
Because initially, I didn't even know that Ovens had a proposal to make an entirely new page based on equipment. So I don't really see what you're trying to point out here.
If I have a water gun, I don't have water manipulation as “powers/abilities”, simply only as “optional equipment” and it should be noted there what the gun/equipment does. And if there are profiles that are listed like that, it needs to be fixed. Pretty much unfair against other characters who do it out of their nature without needing any equipment.
I'm not gonna entertain you any further with this sentiment. Because this is just going to derail the thread as this topic adds nothing useful to this thread.

That's literally the only ability where it gives you access to survive in space.

Because initially, I didn't even know that Ovens had a proposal to make an entirely new page based on equipment. So I don't really see what you're trying to point out here.
Brother, without any disrespect and any offense, do you understand what is “indefinitely” or “Able to manage on your own without requiring anything”
I'm not gonna entertain you any further with this sentiment. Because this is just going to derail the thread as this topic adds nothing useful to this thread.
You were basically using this argument, and I was clarifying to you this is not how it works. So I was not really derailing.

But we can stop. But I would like to know what is gonna be rewording.

You were basically using this argument, and I was clarifying to you this is not how it works. So I was not really derailing.
You're just bringing up more pointless points to an effort to your narratives when it comes to equipment also applying to abilities which I've already said we've accepted by our standards. So please stop.
But I would like to know what is gonna be rewording.
Basically we're going by Oven's idea with this new "Non Breathing" ability

Anyways, @Sir_Ovens, how do you think we should summarize Non-Standard Breathing?

We are talking about an entirely new ability, not self sustenance type 4. Please don't derail the thread with nonsense.
I mean, look at title and OP..... either change them because it is getting confused for new members when we are talking about an entire different topic.
My suggestion :(

I mean, look at title and OP..... either change them because it is getting confused for new members when we are talking about an entire different topic.
Because we're waiting for more input from Ovens so I can actually change the point of this thread.

I think you're taking it a bit too far now, please chill

Last edited:
Anyways, @Sir_Ovens, how do you think we should summarize Non-Standard Breathing?
It's just breathing anything that isn't air.

I don't get why there's an argument over this. If you don't breathe air you get Non-Standsrd Breathing. Type 1 if your physiology allows you to breathe in something like water or Jupiter's atmosphere. Type 2 if you still need to breathe air but use some artificial source of air to continue breathing in hazardous environments.

I don't get why there's an argument over this. If you don't breathe air you get Non-Standsrd Breathing. Type 1 if your physiology allows you to breathe in something like water or Jupiter's atmosphere. Type 2 if you still need to breathe air but use some artificial source of air to continue breathing in hazardous environments.
Fair enough

Did you even read the thread? several people are talking about/agreeing too changing underwater breathing to assisted breathing. Multiple staff as well.

That seems fine to me. Would you be willing to write a draft for a new powers and abilities page for this concept?

Looks pretty good so far, what do you think the image should look like for it?
Any picture with someone in power armour will do, with the caption "X character has power armour to help them breathe in space"

Sure, that works, although you might have to credit the artist if the image is someone's fan art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back