• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adding Non-Standard Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propellus

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Image Helper
Bronze Supporter
From this thread in particular, since many characters got Type 1 Self-Sustenance for having gear to allow them to survive in space. But however, Type 1 Self-Sustenance doesn't actually make sense for these characters to have because of their gear based off it's reasoning from here.

• Type 1: Respiratory Self-Sustenance: The ability to live indefinitely without oxygen (or whatever substance that the creature's species breathes). This includes surviving in the vacuum of space or in the depths of an ocean. This may provide resistance to certain gas-based toxins.
Which doesn't make sense for those who has Type 1 Self Sustenance since they still need oxygen to breathe from, not indefinitely.

But here's what I propose, since for we treat Type 3 Underwater Breathing for having gear, I propose Self-Sustenance (Type 4)

For the definition:

Type 4: Pressurized Self-Sustenance: The said person can breathe in space with certain equipment that provides them oxygen. Such as a space suit.

Credit to @Sir_Ovens for this proposal:

Non-Standard Breathing is the ability to breathe in environments that baseline human beings would find hazardous to breathe in.

Unlike characters with Self-Sustenance, characters with Non-Standard Breathing still require sustenance through the act of breathing and cannot sustain an indefinite lack of sustenance.

Possible Uses
  • Breathing in space
  • Breathing under water
  • Breathing through toxic fumes

Types
  • Type 1 (Superhuman): The ability to breathe in hazardous environments such as under water, in space, or in poisonous gases.
  • Type 2 (Assisted): The user still requires oxygen and air, however they are able to breathe in hazardous environments through the use of apparatuses such as gas tanks.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this, simply the page itself is self-sutentance, there is nothing self trying to survive with other methods that are not part of the nature of the character itself, in any case something else should be done instead of adding this to the page. Maybe going with Qaw suggestion.

Credit to @Sir_Ovens

"Actually I'd propose we just annex Underwater Breathing and umbrella all forms of breathing outside of Earth's atmosphere as a new ability: Non-Standard Breathing.

Type 1: Superhuman - Breathing in toxic or hazardous atmospheres.

Type 2: Assisted - Breathing with an apparatus or suit that supplies oxygen or other essential breathing gas."

That's not so much self sustenance if they still need oxygen. If anything, underwater breathing or outer space breathing via gear that recycles oxygen should just be a different ability exempt from self sustenance. Where as type 1 is the character simply doesn't need even need to breathe period in order to live.

Edit: Sir Ovens' proposal actually sounds great.

Credit to @Sir_Ovens

"Actually I'd propose we just annex Underwater Breathing and umbrella all forms of breathing outside of Earth's atmosphere as a new ability: Non-Standard Breathing.

Type 2: Assisted - Breathing with an apparatus or suit that supplies oxygen or other essential breathing gas."
This seems fine by me, but then again, wouldn't we need a completely new page for that ability?

Honestly it's probably less work to change the definition of self sustenance type 1 to include a definition that incorporates a psuedo type 1 that includes non indefinite methods of self sustenance but I think its more awkward.

Would superhuman breathing also include stuff like enhanced lung capacity? (i.e being able to hold your breath for an hour or something)

I think that should be included in some capacity

I don't agree with this, simply the page itself is self-sutentance, there is nothing self trying to survive with other methods that are not part of the nature of the character itself, in any case something else should be done instead of adding this to the page. Maybe going with Qaw suggestion.
Since I wanted to create this thread, but the person is simply faster than me.

I also disagree since nothing is here “self” as well with the same reasons above.

Would superhuman breathing also include stuff like enhanced lung capacity? (i.e being able to hold your breath for an hour or something)
Superhuman Breathing and Assisted Breathing could work, but the problem is we need a completely new page for that power, which idk who's going to work on that

This is good with me.

This is good with me.
But then I have another question, how would this work if animals has physiological underwater breathing meaning that they can only breathe in water and not sulfur?

But then I have another question, how would this work if animals has physiological underwater breathing meaning that they can only breathe in water and not sulfur?
I just change this
To
Type 1: Superhuman - Breathing in toxic or hazardous environments
Water is a hazardous environment so any fish would just get Type 1 or something

I just change this

To

Water is a hazardous environment so any fish would just get Type 1 or something
Not a bad idea after all, how should I reword the OP of this thread?

Self-sustenance type 1 should remain the same and type 4 makes no sense, there is nothing here “self”. I am sorry, but you can list it as optional equipment.
Or create a completely new ability (even tho this is not an ability, to begin with) but whatever

So what do we classify Underwater Breathing Type 1 and 2 as now?

So what do we classify Underwater Breathing Type 1 and 2 as now?
That's what I want to find out, because I'm not entirely sure if a whole new ability page is going to be necessary enough if this going to be simple to just reword Underwater Breathing

Last edited:
I think that Sir_Ovens' suggestion of Non-Standard Breathing seems like the least bad solution for this problem, but it could definitely use a better title. Does anybody here have improved suggestions for it? Assisted Breathing for handling different types of hazardous environments via equipment perhaps?

What he suggested also does not fit with Underwater Breathing alone, as it does not cover outer space or poison gas, for example, but we may need to update the definitions in that page to only include inherent abilities to breath underwater indefinitely, as the two pages seem to overlap otherwise.

I think that Sir_Ovens' suggestion of Non-Standard Breathing seems like the least bad solution for this problem, but it could definitely use a better title. Does anybody here have improved suggestions for it?
While that isn't entirely bad, It could use more specifications

Credit to @Sir_Ovens

This proposal works for me too.

It needs more specifications though, the questions are if we do in fact get this, what is going to happen to types 1 and 2 underwater breathing? Especially type 1 underwater breathing in general for fishes who exclusive has to breathe in water and not in air?

I think that Sir_Ovens' suggestion of Non-Standard Breathing seems like the least bad solution for this problem, but it could definitely use a better title. Does anybody here have improved suggestions for it? Assisted Breathing for handling different types of hazardous environments via equipment perhaps?

What he suggested also does not fit with Underwater Breathing alone, as it does not cover outer space or poison gas, for example, but we may need to update the definitions in that page to only include inherent abilities to breath underwater indefinitely, as the two pages seem to overlap otherwise.
What do you all think about this?

Thank you for the reply.

What do the rest of you think?

I think the point of my proposal was that breathing and the lack of need thereof are two different things. Hence, compounding breathing in space and breathing underwater. The keyword here is breathing. If you simply don't breathe at all, like a robot, that is true self-sustenence. If you need air to breathe (and no, not just oxygen as pure oxygen will kill you) and you can breathe just fine in space, that should fall under Non-Standard Breathing. The snafu here would be assuming breathing Earth atmosphere levels of air is considered the standard, and anything that isn't would be considered non-standard.

Splitting the ability into types only serves to show if it's natural or not. Fish breathe underwater and that's natural to them. We can with the assistance of scuba diving equipment, and that's not natural to us. However, both achieve the same result. To me, the types make the most sense as a solution to the original problem on top of fixing my personal problem with Underwater Breathing existing as an ability by itself. Two birds, one stone.

I think the point of my proposal was that breathing and the lack of need thereof are two different things. Hence, compounding breathing in space and breathing underwater. The keyword here is breathing. If you simply don't breathe at all, like a robot, that is true self-sustenence. If you need air to breathe (and no, not just oxygen as pure oxygen will kill you) and you can breathe just fine in space, that should fall under Non-Standard Breathing. The snafu here would be assuming breathing Earth atmosphere levels of air is considered the standard, and anything that isn't would be considered non-standard.

Splitting the ability into types only serves to show if it's natural or not. Fish breathe underwater and that's natural to them. We can with the assistance of scuba diving equipment, and that's not natural to us. However, both achieve the same result. To me, the types make the most sense as a solution to the original problem on top of fixing my personal problem with Underwater Breathing existing as an ability by itself. Two birds, one stone.
But then again, do you have the new ability in mind for this as a sandbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back